October issue of Morrissey Mercury fanzine is out

F

FillUpThePage

Hi everyone. The October issue of the free Morrissey Mercury fanzine came out today. There's an interview with British journalist Julie Burchill, who once had the pleasure of Morrissey knocking on her door, your monthly Mozoscopes, articles from author Dickie Felton and poet Jacob Davies, a quiz and plenty more. If you sign up today you'll get the latest issue sent to your email inbox.

Cheers!

This is a nice read; worth signing up to, folks. Thanks to editor George Allen.

There's now a regular intro, an astrology column; an illustration; notes from Dickie Felton and Jacob Davies, a fan gig review, and a lead interview, this month with Julie Burchill, part of which goes -

What is it about Morrissey’s music that made you want to take one of his songs to a desert island?

When I listen to one of Morrissey’s great songs - and there are so many of them - it makes me feel at once both very young and very old/wise and also as though something brilliant is about to happen and as though something terrible is about to happen. It’s a cross between vertigo and oceanic. I saw him live for the first time last year and couldn’t believe how exciting the experience was.

Do you think modern pop music is lacking in controversy and intelligent thought? Or is it getting on just fine?

It’s rubbish - the current cultural climate of fear is so obvious in it. Think of the two versions of Fairytale Of New York - the swearing one for the adults on Radio 2 and the censored one for the youth on Radio 1. I always say that if rock and roll was invented today, it would be the parents listening to it in bed secretly on their radios and the kids burning the records.

She's asked about a play she co-wrote that got a recent short run.

Can you tell me about your play ‘Awful People’? I love the title.

Thank you, my husband and co-writer Daniel Raven came up with it - I wanted to call it ‘The Damage’ which isn’t anywhere as fun. It’s a funny and snarky and rude satire on the Woke bourgeoise who, having identified as Good, then proceed to treat those from a different economic background like dirt. And it has a great song at the end and two gorgeous dance numbers!

From reviews, it looks worth catching if it's put on again.

This is a photo from Morrissey Mercury of handsome devils Jacob Davies with BB at Hammersmith Apollo

1696631830176.png

You'd think she might have seen one of his gigs before she wrote up her interview. Might have helped fill up the pages.

You'd think she might have seen one of his gigs before she wrote up her interview. Might have helped fill up the pages.

What Morrissey bitingly said about her in Autobiography , and how Morrissey's biographer Johnnie Rogan sued her for plagiarism. Both passionate plain-spoken beings whose life courses and interests overlapped at junctures?

Back
Top Bottom