New Years Resolutions 2014

h8B47DF13

Since this is topical to New Years in America, I copied it from my thread in the sty:

Floats in the dark. THey smelled so beautiful. This was in Irwindale, there was quite a crowd to see them off on their way to the parade, families who worked on them madly over the past week. Mostly Spanish speaking would cheer and holler. Apples kept falling off, they weren't glued down enough.

Stella Rosa Winery
11679602923_81eb2abb56_z.jpg

They have to stop and fit the bigger ones under the light poles.
11679720494_8424fc8db7_z.jpg

THe best float tonight, the K9 training one. A LOT of dog and cat floats, I'm just posting the clearer pictures, I didn't use my fancy camera, they were moving too fast.

11679347725_6135398737_z.jpg

Kaiser Permanente, this one is a rather huge float.

11680133156_c2d9dd6a16_z.jpg

Underground Service Alert, a float for the company you call before you dig so you don't bust a gas line. This is my personal favorite GREAT photo since the dog is dozing Carl's Jr in the background.

11680131536_95e3a0a40a_z.jpg

I think this was a city float, they make those portraits out of seeds!

11679341615_80a71df0fc_z.jpg

Sea World, the most hyped float since PETA is boycotting it, they had AT LEAST 14 cops surrounding it. An apple fell off that one too. THe orcas were covered in plastic I think in case people throw shit on it, I hope not. Families work so hard on these floats. I mean I understand boycott's but don't sabotage art. The Orca's might agree.

11680127376_350959eb06_z.jpg

And finally the float the gay couple are getting married on tomorrow.

11680125126_7cd9a59475_z.jpg

Okay I'm off to go bowling. :D

Impressive...until the rave music started. That countdown sounded so British.

So, is that wheel thing there all the time? What is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
So are you kidding or being cheeky? Hold on, are you being serious?

I just watched the whole thing, OMG that was a SHITLOAD of pyrotechnics! I HAVE TO SEE THAT LIVE! London smells like sulphur tonight! Dayuuuum.

I was serious about that wheel. What is it? Is it a ferris wheel that you can ride on? How long has it been there? I went to TJ once, that's the extent of my world travels. :o

I just watched the whole thing, OMG that was a SHITLOAD of pyrotechnics! I HAVE TO SEE THAT LIVE! London smells like sulphur tonight! Dayuuuum.

I was serious about that wheel. What is it? Is it a ferris wheel that you can ride on? How long has it been there? I went to TJ once, that's the extent of my world travels. :o

It's the London Eye, also known as the Millennium Wheel because it was erected in the year of the Millennium, 2000. It was meant to be there for five years originally but is so popular that it is now indefinite. It has become a symbol of London .... oh come on CG!!

Last edited:
It's the London Eye, also known as the Millennium Wheel because it was erected in the year of the Millennium, 2000. It was meant to be there for five years originally but is so popular that it is now indefinite. It has become a symbol of London .... oh come on CG!!

I'm familiar with it, I didn't know it was erected in 2000. I recall it being temporary.

I guess my question is, do you walk up to it and hand a guy a 20 and go for a ride on it to see a view? How does riding it work?

Also on this side of the pond that wheel is NOT the symbol of London. Big Ben, that red phone booth and double decker buses are. That wheel doesn't even come close.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with it, I didn't know it was erected in 2000. I recall it being temporary.

I guess my question is, do you walk up to it and hand a guy a 20 and go for a ride on it to see a view? How does riding it work?

Also on this side of the pond that wheel is NOT the symbol of London. Big Ben, that red phone booth and double decker buses are. That wheel doesn't even come close.

Really?

It's £30 for one revolution unless you want to queue for a long time. You go round once. I thought London's waterfront was renowned
london.jpg

Really?

It's £30 for one revolution unless you want to queue for a long time. You go round once. I thought London's waterfront was renowned
london.jpg

Have you ridden it? That seems kind of steep.

Sorry to say Crystal but red double deckers buses and red phone boxes are a thing of the past now. I think we have around 12 red phone boxes in Wales alone and they are tatty and damaged. I haven't seen a red double decker bus for around 15 years.

And this is how we waste money in Britain :D

Sorry to say Crystal but red double deckers buses and red phone boxes are a thing of the past now. I think we have around 12 red phone boxes in Wales alone and they are tatty and damaged. I haven't seen a red double decker bus for around 15 years.

And this is how we waste money in Britain :D

Red double deckers buses still run in London...not the old route masters as these have all been replaced with fancy new designed buses. There are still plenty red phone boxes in Central London.

For the London Eye you book in advance.

I don't work for the Tourist Board.

Red double deckers buses still run in London...not the old route masters as these have all been replaced with fancy new designed buses. There are still plenty red phone boxes in Central London.

For the London Eye you book in advance.

I don't work for the Tourist Board.

Haha, fair enough then. Maybe it's us in Wales who have seem to have lost the whole "Britishness" vibe?

In Hull our phone boxes are beige, the only place in the country, the rest are red.

In America all of our phone boxes are being torn down because of cell phones. Are they keeping yours with phones in them since they're iconic?

Yep. They shouldn't remove any of them whatever the cost. Some things are worth expense

1337198410_Red.jpg

Look at all that brick. You guys must not get a lot of earthquakes.

Back
Top Bottom