New items added to the collectors appendix after the launch by Stephane

Inox

Fame, Fame, Fatal Fame
I thought it might be very useful to start a new thread with items which have been added to the collectors appendix after they have been launched by Stephane in this forum. Most collectors would probably send a message to Stephane and he would add these new items to PJLM. In the meantime nobody except Stephane and a few others would notice these changes. So, why shouldn’t we post these new additions in this thread too?

Take care, Marcel

Here is the kick off for this new thread. It is a Greek TQID white label/promo LP. It has white Virgin labels with "Made in Greece by Fabelsound" instead of "Made in Greece by EMI". The sleeve is brighter green and has a very pink text. The most striking difference is found on the back of the sleeve, the black "butterflies" for the song titles are missing. The line "Made and printed in Greece by EMI GREECE S.A." is missing too. All pictures are taken together with the standard Greek single sleeve.

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• P1070541_crop.jpg
    P1070541_crop.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 42
  • P1070545_crop.jpg
    P1070545_crop.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P1070546_crop.jpg
    P1070546_crop.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 41
  • P1070547_crop.jpg
    P1070547_crop.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 42
I'm no expert but I'm thinking this might be a proof sleeve.

No expert? :) The first release of the Greek TQID has a single sleeve because Virgin Greece didn't receive the film for the gatefold content. Maybe Rough Trade did sent a film from an early proof sleeve to Virgin Greece before they sent the right film for the first single sleeve LP. There are some known proof sleeves for the UK TQID LP but as far as I know there are no are UK proof sleeves with the missing black "butterflies".

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• P1070544_crop.jpg
    P1070544_crop.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 24
I sent Stephane photo proof of the existence of a stickered stock UK EILS 7" promo with A4 press sheet. Nothing major but I like to help where I can.

Even “nothing major” is a great addition. I think every item which is or was unknown to PJLM is a something major. Like this Aussie LTB double cassette, it was not known if it was released in a double cassette case. Here is the answer….

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• P1060474_small.jpg
    P1060474_small.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
i don´t know if this is the right place to post this, but this Indonesian Cassette is not mentioned in the collectors appendix. Only an unlicensed TWWL-cassette from Indonesia is mentioned, but this seems to be a different one, any thoughts? Stephane is this new to you?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/THE-SMITHS-T.../270837908124?pt=AU_Tapes&hash=item3f0f32829c

That has to be unlicensed - and what about the track listing?
$(KGrHqEOKj8E30180R!vBOGY-EgTqw~~_12.JPG

Why not just stick Suffer Little Children on the end of the tape to fill it out a little :)

Dave

UK CS [Rough Trade ROUGHC255]There are two versions of the cassette itself. Some are made of white plastic, others are mustard brown. The mustard brown version was added a few days ago....

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• P1070569_small.jpg
    P1070569_small.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 13
UK CS [Rough Trade ROUGHC255]There are two versions of the cassette itself. Some are made of white plastic, others are mustard brown. The mustard brown version was added a few days ago....

Take care, Marcel

There must be three versions then, mine is black...

Louder.JPG

Cheers,

I.R.

UK LP [Rough Trade ROUGH61] Variations on which the band's name on the front appears in a different colour have been reported. One such item has the name of the band on the front in aqua green. The text on the back of the sleeve is also more green.

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• P1070572_small.jpg
    P1070572_small.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 31
UK CSS [WEA YZ0001C / 90306-4] There are three different versions of the UK cassette-single although it appears that only one was originally sold in the UK. The insert is the same for all three editions, and none is marked as anything other than a UK edition. There seems to be a difference between the spines of the inlay of the UK (at the right) and the EU version 2 (at the left).

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• P1070767.JPG
    P1070767.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 39
UK CSS [WEA YZ0001C / 90306-4] There seems to be a difference between the spines of the inlay of the UK (at the right) and the EU version 2 (at the left).

I think this is the result of light-induced discolouration. I used to own all three variations of this cassette, some more than once, and never observed this. I can't think of any other reason why only the spine would turn out like this...

Stephane

I think this is the result of light-induced discolouration.

You might be right about the discolouration. But most of the times you see this, the inlay parts which are closest to the spine show some fading too.

Take care, Marcel

Attachments

• P1070769.JPG
    P1070769.JPG
    437.7 KB · Views: 30
Those photos don't look discoloured to me - the rest of the sleeve looks mint and the green text looks uniform - I'd say they were printed that way. It would be interesting to see how many people have them...

I doubt that Morrissey had a hand in it though, probably an error by the printer, or designer.

Dave

It just doesn't make sense that this could be a printing error. Why would the error occur only around the spine. The printing equipment doesn't 'understand' what it's printing, it's just one big surface to it. If it had been a printing error, the colour scheme would have been the same for the whole insert, because it's printed all at once, not in segments.

Also, what you can't really see much on that scan but was reported to me is that the edges of the front and back are also paler beige, so they have suffered partial discolouration. You can imagine the cassette on a shelf with the spine exposed to light, and the edges partially exposed at times as the tape may not have always been even with other tapes next to it.

Anyhow, I asked a friend of mine who's into printing and he told me he was 99% sure it was discolouration. When surfaces are exposed to light, the green pigments are always the last to go, and the blue pigments the first ones. So the beige on the spine which includes no or almost no green is now almost white while the brown which includes a good share of green is still visible, in green. This is very likely the explanation behind the alternate colours for "Strangeways...", "Girlfriend In A Coma", etc. as they also leave green but lose other colours in the mix. I'm sorry I simplified his explanation as I can't remember his exact technical lingo, but that was the gist of it.

Of course we'd all want this to be a strange mispressing with some mystical explanation behind it, but I'm afraid it isn't.

for what it's worth,
Stephane

I'm going to take mine out of the cupboard and box that it's stored in and stick it on the windowsill... I'll let you know how I get on... given that I'm in Manchester (where the rain falls hard) it may take some time :)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom