My Morrissey "Presentation" ha

Samiy

A do an art degree in newcastle an as part of the course ive been asked to do an essay about anything that im really inspired about or effected by. Naturally i chose Morrissey, but to my shock ive just recieved an email basically stating i have to do a talk to a room full of people whom i know despise morrissey and dont get him at all. Im struggling at what part of morrissey personally and musically i should home in on, one particular thing.
Huge Stress.
Any ideas?
This is most likely in the wrong part of the forum but im beyond caring with tutors homing in on me like im on death row.

A do an art degree in newcastle an as part of the course ive been asked to do an essay about anything that im really inspired about or effected by. Naturally i chose Morrissey, but to my shock ive just recieved an email basically stating i have to do a talk to a room full of people whom i know despise morrissey and dont get him at all. Im struggling at what part of morrissey personally and musically i should home in on, one particular thing.
Huge Stress.
Any ideas?
This is most likely in the wrong part of the forum but im beyond caring with tutors homing in on me like im on death row.

Speak about why is was so different in the 80's with the Smiths and why he still remains different now. e.g. Morrissey spoke about the trials and tribulations of real life, whereas most groups/singer of the 80's seemed to be living in a fantasy world, where there was no employment, everyone owned yachts and white suits.

Or is that not what you're after?

Hi,

You could do an essay on exactly that:

Just what is it about Morrissey that polarises opinion and ensures he stays a controversial yet vital figure in UK society?

You could start, for example, with the early "paedophilia" charges in The Sun, the accusations of miserabilism (get some Moz quotes on his self-preceived "realism") and run it right through the 1992 Racism debate to last year's immigration and even this year's mildly controversial One Show appearance, all the time taking his lyrics and interviews into account and, of course, his very literary approach to music (mention the influence of Alan Bennett, Oscar Wilde, etc etc)

There are loads of suitable lyrics and quotes around on the net...can't think of where, specifically, but I know I've read them at some point.

I'm an English teacher and would love it if one of my students were to write an essay on something like this...but, alas, it ain't to be. My advice would be to pick up Len Brown's book Meetings with Morrissey and the excellent Conversations with Morrissey...but if time's the essence, you may not have opportunity to look through those...

Only an idea...

Let us know how it goes...?

Last edited:
i have to do a talk to a room full of people whom i know despise morrissey and dont get him at all.

You've already had some good suggestions, above. I'd add that you should pause and consider the line of yours I've quoted here: speaking to a room-- or a world-- full of people who despise him is a problem Morrissey has faced for over 25 years (aside from the lovefests his concerts are, natch). The world is completely antagonistic toward Morrissey and what he stands for.

I say this not to deepen your stress but to suggest that your talk feed off of this negative energy rather than try and leap over it. Embrace your exaggerated fear of the blank stares, the rolling eyes, the irritable looks and you might approximate the challenge Morrissey himself feels. Valuable insight...

As with most Morrissey naysayers, your classmates' opinions of the man are probably based upon the usual misconceptions: he's miserable, fey, undernourished...

Why not talk about the 'real' but (outside of his fanbase) virtually unkown Morrissey: funny, silly, confrontational, fascinated by violence and criminality, beloved by rockabilly Mexicans...

By focusing on less well-known lyrics and on his many interviews, you might be able to talk about your hero without revealing, until the end, that Morrissey is, in fact, the subject of your essay.

I hope you'll publish the finished piece here when it's all over. I'm sure it will be a good read.

Best of luck!

If it's a digital presentation, put together clips of acts of top of the pops back in the day, overgrown shoulder pads n all, and then show the smiths and how much of a departure and breath of fresh air they were etc etc.

Other than that art degree means focus on his sleeve art doesnt it? unless you want to turn the whole thing into an argument for music as art..

You may not feel this way at all, but one of the reasons Morrissey inspires a devoted following is because he has an intellectual presence beyond his music.

I've watched him since 83, and many is the time I've been on a train or bus convulsed with laughter as he skewers a pathetic public figure in an interview. I was also transfixed by the worlds collide appearance on the One Show - I can't remember the last time when I saw such an entertaining piece of TV, wondering whether the interview would collapse in on itself or whether he would just wander off, bored. You don't experience this with many in popular music.

It's been going on for 25 years now, much to my amusement, and he's still laying down trails for us all, much as he denies there's any plan. Incidentally, this is why I think Worm has it right on another thread about having to consider YOR as part of the overall output. Pointless with an artist of this stature and longevity to review one piece of work in isolation.

A minority in society will always appreciate that it's rarely the way forward to run with the herd, and courageous people are those that speak out against prevailing moods. Tony Benn has a nice line about this - politicians are either weathervanes or signposts . The former bend with the wind, but the latter say what they think and are steadfast in their beliefs and integrity. Morrissey is one of the very few pop stars that fall into this category.

You may not feel this way at all, but one of the reasons Morrissey inspires a devoted following is because he has an intellectual presence beyond his music.

I've watched him since 83, and many is the time I've been on a train or bus convulsed with laughter as he skewers a pathetic public figure in an interview. I was also transfixed by the worlds collide appearance on the One Show - I can't remember the last time when I saw such an entertaining piece of TV, wondering whether the interview would collapse in on itself or whether he would just wander off, bored. You don't experience this with many in popular music.

It's been going on for 25 years now, much to my amusement, and he's still laying down trails for us all, much as he denies there's any plan. Incidentally, this is why I think Worm has it right on another thread about having to consider YOR as part of the overall output. Pointless with an artist of this stature and longevity to review one piece of work in isolation.

A minority in society will always appreciate that it's rarely the way forward to run with the herd, and courageous people are those that speak out against prevailing moods. Tony Benn has a nice line about this - politicians are either weathervanes or signposts . The former bend with the wind, but the latter say what they think and are steadfast in their beliefs and integrity. Morrissey is one of the very few pop stars that fall into this category.

YES, JUST...YES! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom