Music You've got into through Morrissey

none, i'm afraid to say.

m's taste in music is awful

...which is curious!

Yep, I have to agree with that. Wouldn't swap my music collection for his any day soon - except and rare and collectible Moz/Smiths that he owns.

Now James is one of my all time favourite bands, but I liked them before I found out Morrissey was a fan. Read somewhere (but this could be bullshit, so correct me if I'm wrong) that they opened for the Smiths once?

Not that I'm into Satanic music, but sometimes I think that it'd be really funny if Moz had a large collection of hardcore death/goth metal albums stashed up in a secret place somewhere.........anyway, to me the music he "claims" to listen to is pretty much BLAH! sorry!

Patti Smith, James, and T-rex are the only ones I listen to from his list and I got into them NOT through him. I love Moz but with most of his taste in music, he kinda reminds me of those fashion designers who dress really awfully themselves.

I'll never understand his "love" for the Smoking Popes.....they are pure sh*t.

Last edited:
New York Dolls
Sparks
Kristeen Young
Billy Fury
and I'm specially happy of finding Mary Margareth O'hara,
her album Miss America is just perfect. I bought it like 7 years ago and I still very impressed. Try it. The woman is just amazing.

Ludus, Jobriath, New York Dolls (although I'm not nearly as big fan of them),and I I love Magazine, Nico, Patti Smith and James, but I already knew about them and liked them irrelevant of Morrissey (he did help me rediscover them, though.); also like Billy Fury's and Timi Yuro's ballads. The Monochrome Set aren't bad, , and as for Klaus Nomi, I love some of his songs (I adore "Death") and some others...well...I don't enjoy that much.

He also made me finally pay attention to Bowie's 70s output - I was always undecided on him... he has done so much different stuff, quite a lot of it is crap, to be honest.

In my experience Morrissey has mostly awful music taste.

I saw the New York Dolls at the Move festival (supporting Morrissey) in 2004 and they were total turd.

It was like watching a very bad, very old Aerosmith covers bad.

In my experience Morrissey has mostly awful music taste.

I saw the New York Dolls at the Move festival (supporting Morrissey) in 2004 and they were total turd.

It was like watching a very bad, very old Aerosmith covers bad.

yeah the stuff he likes is quite hard to listen to.

I just discovered Pony Club, after hearing the song 'Single' and loving the guy's voice I bought the album Home Truths and I'm very impressed- there are some really great lyrics. Their website's also very good, you can download various songs off there.

I was a little apprehensive of listening to any of Morrissey's music choices because I only seem to hear people saying how it's not the easiest of stuff to get into, but I've found he has fantastic taste! I love Nico, Jobriath has a great voice, some of Klaus Nomi, and I love the old sixties songs when you're just in the mood to be crooned to. And I just bought a T-Rex album out of curiosity to hear Telegram Sam. I'd like to buy more that I'm interested in, but financial restraints... I've spent enough on Morrissey this year!

I've developed a liking for Ludus through Morrissey. I discovered Nico and The Slits of my own accord. Kristeen Young is another person I discovered through Morrissey, she has a fantastic voice, very distinctive.

I don't like that Pony Club guff though. It sounds like victim music to me. Oh, I'm single, boo-hoo, woe is me. How dull. You're alone - deal with it!

I'd like to hear more Ludus, I've only heard two songs so I feel I can't judge too much yet, but strangely, Linder's voice sounded exactly how I thought it was going to. In time hopefully I'll buy an album. And I've only heard about a 30 second clip of Kristeen Young so I'm actually quite excited to hear her in December, will be interesting.

Aw, that's a bit harsh! Do kind of agree though, some of the Pony Club songs are pretty downbeat and introspective (maybe seen as 'victim'-like potentially!), but there's a sharpness and a sense of humour that balances that out I think. Such as these lyrics from 'Flaky Wife':

'My friendly chemist keeps me on the drugs
That make the tower blocks look like Gaudi would
I’m prone to violence when unsupervised
I’d like to stab you but I’m feeling nice
It’s not you sweetheart with your angel face
I’m only friendly when I’m off my face
I’ll take you shopping with the battered wives
They’ll show you loyalty now won’t that be nice'

I can't help but smile at that, great I think.

I'd like to hear more Ludus, I've only heard two songs so I feel I can't judge too much yet, but strangely, Linder's voice sounded exactly how I thought it was going to. In time hopefully I'll buy an album.
The two songs you've heard are probably "Breaking The Rules" and "Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go"? They are the 'poppiest' songs they ever recorded, so I wouldn't say they're typical... I prefer some other stuff they did. Mostly it's musically and lyrically weirder, darker and not that straighforward. But I don't think that they're as 'hard to listen to' as they're supposed to be - well, in comparison with most of today's indie bands, yes, but I think they're easier to listen to than many of the post-punk bands of that era. Rhythm and structure might be unusual and sometimes chaotic, but the songs are very melodic and her singing is engaging, although unusual (suddenly starting to scream when you don't expect it...)It took me a while to actually start liking them... now I can't get enough. :)

If you decide to buy a CD, buy either "The Visit/The Seduction" reissue, or the compilation "The Damage". I prefer the former. Those two together make up the most of their best stuff. But don't start with "Pickpocket/Danger Came Smiling" reissue. The first 6 tracks on that are similar to the rest of their stuff, but the rest are from the album "Danger Came Smiling", which is really weird experimental jazz record. It's not that I don't like it, I do now, but many people might be put off by it, esp. in the beginning.

some band called pony club wrote to me on myspace and wanted to be my friend. is that the band moz is such a fan if, cos if they write to ME than they´re completely unknown. so, how does moz find these bands? how did he discover kristeen young? what do i have to do for him to discover me??? (amateur musician on myspace too). ok - i will try to listen to the crap stuff he likes and adapt my music accordingly

I'm a big fan of Libertines and Babyshambles. But I liked them before I knew He approved...
LOL Nobody really thinks 'is Moz going to approve of the music I love?', do they? :D I'm interested to know what he likes and I'll take his recommendations and check some things out, but it's not like he's a judge on all matters concerning music... He's like another friend whose opinions you respect. His taste is excellent but certainly not perfect (as his views on Joy Division clearly show :rolleyes: ).

Ludus, Jobriath, New York Dolls (although I'm not nearly as big fan of them),and I I love Magazine, Nico, Patti Smith and James, but I already knew about them and liked them irrelevant of Morrissey (he did help me rediscover them, though.); also like Billy Fury's and Timi Yuro's ballads. The Monochrome Set aren't bad, , and as for Klaus Nomi, I love some of his songs (I adore "Death") and some others...well...I don't enjoy that much.

He also made me finally pay attention to Bowie's 70s output - I was always undecided on him... he has done so much different stuff, quite a lot of it is crap, to be honest.
forgot to mention Prefab Sprout - I looked them up because I read that he loved their first album. Also, Raymonde were rather good.

On the other hand... I decided to give Echobelly another chance because of him, but I still don't see what's so special about them.

Is it true that he likes Tindersticks? I think read it once on this forum. I am a big Tindersticks fan!!!

some band called pony club wrote to me on myspace and wanted to be my friend. is that the band moz is such a fan if, cos if they write to ME than they´re completely unknown. so, how does moz find these bands? how did he discover kristeen young? what do i have to do for him to discover me??? (amateur musician on myspace too). ok - i will try to listen to the crap stuff he likes and adapt my music accordingly
"crap stuff he likes"?! :eek: :mad:

I don't know anything about Pony Club, but they've got a bio on www.artistdirect.com http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/bio/0,,1710111,00.html and they seem to have two albums released... not an amateur myspace band, it seems. :rolleyes:

The story of how Morrissey came across (the very un-crap) Pony Club (Mark Cullen is the singer):

Half way through recording Mark decided to do some gigs - "just to get out of the house". "I did a gig in a small venue in Dublin called The Sugar Club. For a laugh I decided to do my party piece, "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" accompanied by my very own Pans People action to lyrics routine. When the song was over I looked up and saw Morrissey in the front row breaking his bollix laughing. Surprisingly he offered me some gigs in America and Europe with the highlight being The Albert Hall in London."

So I guess the only advice to be offered there is to hang around in small pubs in Dublin on the off-chance he may appear, and then make him laugh!

The two songs you've heard are probably "Breaking The Rules" and "Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go"? They are the 'poppiest' songs they ever recorded, so I wouldn't say they're typical... I prefer some other stuff they did. Mostly it's musically and lyrically weirder, darker and not that straighforward. But I don't think that they're as 'hard to listen to' as they're supposed to be - well, in comparison with most of today's indie bands, yes, but I think they're easier to listen to than many of the post-punk bands of that era. Rhythm and structure might be unusual and sometimes chaotic, but the songs are very melodic and her singing is engaging, although unusual (suddenly starting to scream when you don't expect it...)It took me a while to actually start liking them... now I can't get enough. :)

If you decide to buy a CD, buy either "The Visit/The Seduction" reissue, or the compilation "The Damage". I prefer the former. Those two together make up the most of their best stuff. But don't start with "Pickpocket/Danger Came Smiling" reissue. The first 6 tracks on that are similar to the rest of their stuff, but the rest are from the album "Danger Came Smiling", which is really weird experimental jazz record. It's not that I don't like it, I do now, but many people might be put off by it, esp. in the beginning.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've taken note :) Yes, they were the two songs I have, I prefer Breaking the Rules just for the fact Linder's voice is so powerful on it. I can tell it was chosen as a slightly poppier option that would be more accessible for first timers, so I would be really intrigued to hear some of the more experimental stuff.

Sad to read your post.
You surely didn't get to see Pony Club supporting Morrissey because you live in Austria and their song "Single" is featured in Morrissey's compilation CD for NME freebie "Songs To Save Your Life" in 2004.

Back
Top Bottom