Morrissey's Trail Of Dead

S

Skylarker

...in which is presented a concise, non-biased, and (hopefully) source-accompanied account of what happened between Morrissey and each of his significant former co-writers, producers, etc., to end their professional alliances.

I've heard lots about a lot of them but I'm gonna try not to write anything without at least one listable source to back it up.

Contributions, obviously, are welcome. I shall begin shortly.

JOHNNY MARR (guitarist, co-writer)

...Interested in pursuing other things, not necessarily to the detriment of the group, Johnny suggested the band take a break during which time he would sleep around with other bands. He also entertained the idea of taking the group, aesthetically and musically, in a broader direction. Morrissey didn't like this idea and panicked. He put pressure on Marr to dismiss his whims and cajoled him into a studio session wherein the b-sides to Girlfriend in A Coma were recorded, one of which was a Cilla Black song. Tired of Morrissey's clinginess and stylistic rigidity, Marr decided he'd had enough and quit the group.

-Mozipedia, page 256-257

CRAIG GANNON (guitarist, co-writer)

According to an interview with Gannon presented in the documentary The Jewel In The Crown, Gannon had laid down tracks for at least a dozen post Viva-Hate songs which were written by Street. Morrissey began to show signs of being unpleased with Street and his songs, and began to solicit music from Gannon, as well as from Joyce and Rourke (who were still acquainted with him musically.) Gannon sent Morrissey some demos on a tape and Morrissey expressed interest in pursuing a writing venture with Gannon. They met up several times to discuss this, and shortly afterward Gannon received a letter from Morrissey in the mail saying he would only continue if Gannon dropped his pending lawsuit regarding unpaid wages from his time in The Smiths. Gannon declined the deal, and Morrissey declined to pursue a career with Gannon.

-The Jewel In The Crown (documentary), around the 30 minute mark

Last edited by a moderator:
MIKE JOYCE (drummer in The Smiths)

After The Smiths broke up, Joyce continued to work with Morrissey sporadically, including drumming at the Wolverhampton "farewell" show in 1988 and playing drums on several of Morrissey's post-Viva Hate singles. Concurrent with this period, Joyce and Rourke, the bass player, were pursing legal compensation from Morrissey and Marr regarding what they felt were unpaid earnings dating back to their time in The Smiths. When pressed repeatedly to drop the case, Joyce refused, and ultimately Morrissey severed all ties with him. Eventually Joyce won his case, in 1996.

-Inside The Smiths (documentary)
-Mozipedia, page 204 - 205

ANDY ROURKE (bassist in The Smiths, co-writer)

As with Craig Gannon and Mike Joyce, Rourke continued a professional affiliation with Morrissey in the wake of The Smiths. Post Viva Hate, he (alongside Gannon) was asked for song submissions by Morrissey when the Stephen Street milk turned sour. Rourke, like Joyce, Gannon, and Street, was in the process of suing Morrissey for unpaid earnings dating back to The Smiths. As he had done with Gannon, Morrissey told Rourke he would only consider a writing partnership if Rourke were to drop his legal case. Rourke settled out of court and Morrissey chose three of his compositions, all of which ended up as b-sides. Shortly after that, Morrissey and Rourke seemed to have ceased all communication.

-Inside The Smiths (documentary)
-Mozipedia page 366

And who says this site is a bastion of negativity....:rolleyes:

And who says this site is a bastion of negativity....:rolleyes:

Tell you what, Mary...why don't you and your rolly eyes emoticon keep sweeping everything under the rug, and in the meantime I'll keep dealing in reality. If you're gonna shit on a thread, at least provide some evidence that what is being said is untrue.

Otherwise, here's my c--k. You know what to do with it, I assume.

:)

STEPHEN STREET (producer, co-writer, guitarist)

Stephen Street had worked as engineer and producer sporadically during The Smiths' career, and stepped to the plate to kickstart Morrissey's solo career when Johnny Marr effectively left him high and dry. He sent Morrissey several rough instrumental demos of his musical compositions, and Morrissey was impressed and enthusiastic with what he heard. He promptly contracted Street to co-write write and record his first solo LP. The album, Viva Hate, was a huge success.

Within a year, due to a legal complaint brought by Street against Morrissey for unpaid royalties relating to the LP, Morrissey lost interest in their partnership by late 1988 and Street was not invited to be a part of the Wolverhampton farewell gig. On Street's behalf the concern was a financial one and he had expressed no interest in dissolving the fruitful creative partnership he'd forged with Morrissey; Morrissey however wanted nothing to do with Street in light of the lawsuit and left Street little choice but to put an injunction on the release of the then-imminent single they'd co-written and recorded, Interesting Drug, until the dispute was resolved.

Subsequent to that Morrissey did choose several remaining Street compositions to put words to and record, but did not involve Street other than as a co-author credit on the songs and to mix one of them, The Bed Took Fire (At Amber).

-Mozipedia, page 245
-The Jewel In The Crown (documentary) app. 36 minute mark

Tell you what, Mary...why don't you and your rolly eyes emoticon keep sweeping everything under the rug, and in the meantime I'll keep dealing in reality. If you're gonna shit on a thread, at least provide some evidence that what is being said is untrue.

Classy.

This thread is another example of why no-one comes here any more.

This thread is another example of why no-one comes here any more.

Lots of people come here. Even people who used to have registered usernames and then got banned and have to resort to anonymous posting just because they can't let go.

Lots of people come here. Even people who used to have registered usernames and then got banned and have to resort to anonymous posting just because they can't let go.

No it's knobs like you. You and Kristeen should get Wed.
She is a hopeless case like you.
The reasons Jessie isnt a leach and Kristeen most certainly is, is many.
For one, Jessie and moz are good friends.
Two Jessie actually cares about moz.
Kristeen is a user ( anybody who knows her knows this)
She is just there for the ride (in more ways than one, not with moz I should add).
Three Kristeen is a super fan, like Morrisseys nephew (who gets on with her, two uglies together) they just define themselves via their relationship with moz.

...in which is presented a concise, non-biased, and (hopefully) source-accompanied account of what happened between Morrissey and each of his significant former co-writers, producers, etc., to end their professional alliances.

I've heard lots about a lot of them but I'm gonna try not to write anything without at least one listable source to back it up.

Contributions, obviously, are welcome. I shall begin shortly.

Someone has waaaayyyy too much time on his hands. :rolleyes:

I did the rolleyeyes cause I know how much you love them.

So what's your point?! That you think Moz is an asshole? That's all you had to say and save us the novel.

Significant musical other

Morrissey (an enormously talented, consistently successful, writer, vocalist, cultural icon, enigma and flawed human being) invited various musicians (most of whom have had little or very occasional success outside of their collaborations with Morrissey) to supply him with music for songs. Following Morrissey's input many of the collaborations resulted in some great songs, earning the musicians critical and financial success. For reasons unexplained whist Morrissey lavished them with praise and offered them more opportunities the musicians starting legal proceedings against Morrissey for financial gain and as a result (after Morrissey repeatedly asked them to stop) Morrissey started working with other people and over time stopped speaking to the musicians altogether. Many of the musicians spent the following decades living off their association with Morrissey in one way or another, however none of them achieved the earning or success that they would have had they remained loyal. Most ended up bitterly craving the spotlight Morrissey once afforded them, sniping and bitching publicly about Morrissey at every opportunity without ever either explaining fully or apologising.

"no one comes here anymore" lol - true dat.

Someone has waaaayyyy too much time on his hands. :rolleyes:

You should talk, as you seem to exist only to nag people more interesting than you.

So what's your point?! That you think Moz is an asshole? That's all you had to say and save us the novel.

Who's the dumbass reading and participating in a thread made by someone they don't like? If the information I've listed here, all of which is well documented and corroborated by witnesses, (and there's much more, if I ever get around to it) is too much for you to read in one sitting, then either take your ADD meds or go to another thread. Don't be a silly little bitch.

Alain Whyte
Spencer Cobrin

Can anyone explain the end of his partnership with the above?

I don't know exactly what happened with Alain; there's been many rumors but I've never heard anything that could be substantiated by a firsthand source. Not saying it's not out there, just saying I've never heard anything definitive.

He called Spencer a jewboy via fax because Spencer wouldn't commit to a songwriting partnership until some monetary issues were settled.

Google a Butt magazine interview with Spencer's Elva Snow (post Morrissey band) co-musician; that guy tells the story.

I actually forgot I made this thread until Viva resurrected it. I doubt I'll get around to continuing it; doesn't seem to matter.

Back
Top Bottom