Morrissey Wrestling Reference?!

anotherordinaryboy

Cheeky Scamp
So I was watching the WWE wrestling company's ECW show on the ScyFy Network (it might be fake, but it's really fun to watch), and a british wrestler, William Regal, was fighting. The commentator called him 'the ringleader of the tormentors'. Gotta be the first time wrestling and Morrissey have been mentioned in the same sentence!

Not to detract from the question but your signature should be...

"I was a small, fat child in a welfare house, there was only one thing I ever dreamed about, fate has just handed it to me...Whoopie..."

Sorry.

I'll go now.

When Morrissey first started performing the song live, before its physical release, 'welfare' was replaced with 'council'. I like that better because it's British and not American. That is all.

Matt Striker (The commentator you mentioned) has made a few Morrissey references in his commentary since he started.

Striker has indeed, and I believe William Regal mentioned a few years ago in a magazine interview that he was a Morrissey fan so perhaps he had something to do with having that nickname spoken of him?

When Morrissey first started performing the song live, before its physical release, 'welfare' was replaced with 'council'. I like that better because it's British and not American. That is all.

hear ! hear ! i was mildly peeved that the recorded version used "welfare" , but when he played it recently he had gone back to "council" . Americanisms are a touchy subject with me - my son , through watchin family guy/simpsons/disney channel etc now peppers his speech with them. Nothing against y'all but moz is quintessentialy english and he should remain so ! SO THERE !

hear ! hear ! i was mildly peeved that the recorded version used "welfare" , but when he played it recently he had gone back to "council" . Americanisms are a touchy subject with me - my son , through watchin family guy/simpsons/disney channel etc now peppers his speech with them. Nothing against y'all but moz is quintessentialy english and he should remain so ! SO THERE !

Quintessential?
Whilst Moz has his charms, he certainly isn't quintessential at anything except perchance self deprecation!

Back
Top Bottom