Morrissey/Smiths songs and videos you just "don't get"

A

Anonymo

This thread is dedicated to all Morrissey and Smiths tunes and music videos one does not necessarily hate but might rather find not appealing, odd, and/or just downright stupid for whatever particular reason.
Let's start this thread with Sheila Takes A Bow, a rather forgotten and, tbf, pretty forgettable tune.
The song itself is sort of ok-ish imho, although being rather meh (again, just my opinion). The thing I really don't get about this song is its music video. Seriously, wtf were they thinking. The stupid party hats and the balloons add to the WTFery vibe of the entire video, with poor Andy being hit in the face by one of those balloons towards the end of the video. But probably the worst bit of this vid are Moz's white trousers. SERIOUSLY, WTF.

The thing I really don't get about this song is its music video. Seriously, wtf were they thinking.
Well, it's not a 'music video' in the traditional sense of the phrase - this is just a miming performance from Top of the Pops TV show. Whilst it was a huge tradition in the UK to appear on this, the whole thing was often tongue in cheek, and I wouldn't place any great importance on it visually. Personally I thought it made a refreshing change to see them enjoying themselves.

Looks and sounds good to me. It’s a positive message to Sheila not to hide herself away.

That is not a music video :ROFLMAO:

This is right up my street…

Back to the Old House
The Hand that Rocks the Cradle
I Don’t Owe You Anything
Jeane
Paint A Vulgar Picture
Please, Please, Please
Suffer Little Children
Wonderful Woman
UncleSkinny
Nerak Malarkey
Famous Whe… shit, sorry, got carried away there….

Last edited:
I don't understand the video of 'November spawned a monster'. Why is he in a desert and who is he singing too all alone.

Don't get why Moz never used Gunboat Smith for a
record cover or a backdrop on stage.
He's got the last name Smith.
Plus, Moz likes singin' about boxin'.

gunboat smith cope's.jpg

This thread is dedicated to all Morrissey and Smiths tunes and music videos one does not necessarily hate but might rather find not appealing, odd, and/or just downright stupid for whatever particular reason.
Let's start this thread with Sheila Takes A Bow, a rather forgotten and, tbf, pretty forgettable tune.
The song itself is sort of ok-ish imho, although being rather meh (again, just my opinion). The thing I really don't get about this song is its music video. Seriously, wtf were they thinking. The stupid party hats and the balloons add to the WTFery vibe of the entire video, with poor Andy being hit in the face by one of those balloons towards the end of the video. But probably the worst bit of this vid are Moz's white trousers. SERIOUSLY, WTF.

I think this is fabulous. I love the lyrics and Morrissey's dancing and the white trousers remind me of my first white Levi's which I bought because I thought they were quite impractical and no one could expect me to do any chores whilst I was wearing them! A few months ago a Shirley Temple film, Baby Take A Bow (1934), popped up on YouTube so I thought I'd watch it to see if it had any connection to this song. It really doesn't, but very tenuously Marilyn Monroe's baby-voiced blonde persona was influenced by Shirley Temple, and in turn the Sheila cover star Candy Darling was influenced by Monroe!

Who’s gonna fight me?! …. :swear

The Jarman ‘Ask’ video has to be the worst Smiths video ever! Totally cringe! every frame.

Had to watch it just now, yep, awful! Except for one of the dancers dancing with a skeleton which I liked, the rest is awful.

Supposedly there’s a ‘Version 1’ ? don’t know what that’s about …

Btw, the Sheila promo is wonderful on so many levels, but that f***ing beret Johnny
is wearing?! Has to GO! Lol.

Last edited:
Another video I just don't get is the one for Alma Matters. I love the song, but except for the endearing, heartwarming shots of Moz entertaining the kitty by swinging a teabag, the video does nothing for me.

Anyway: Gadse! <3

Who’s gonna fight me?! …. :swear

The Jarman ‘Ask’ video has to be the worst Smiths video ever! Totally cringe! every frame.

Had to watch it just now, yep, awful! Except for one of the dancers dancing with a skeleton which I liked, the rest is awful.

Supposedly there’s a ‘Version 1’ ? don’t know what that’s about …

Btw, the Sheila promo is wonderful on so many levels, but that f***ing beret Johnny
is wearing?! Has to GO! Lol.

I'm not going to fight you as agree, the music video for 'ask' is cringy, but jarman has a type of aesthetic that he can't seem to rid himself of, its slightly kitch for lack of a better word, but also well made.

I like the video for 'stop me if you think you've heard this one before', mozza said he hated it, but i like the fact thats its so simple and compliments the innocence of the song.

Back
Top Bottom