"Morrissey Planning To Retire"

L

Lazy Dyke

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/morrissey%20.planning.%20to%20retire

Article

> http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/morrissey
> %20.planning.%20to%20retire

He cannot, i am sure he has much more to do and say.

no, he can't retire!!!

can he at least stay around and open supermarkets??

Re: They've obviously been reading this board!

That will teach you all for speculating!

It will be in the Sun next and ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!!

Re: I agree!

Also would he really 'mess' us around deliberatly? Surely he would say this bluntly if it were true. ????

As expected, this "news item" says absolutely nothing.

they could have quoted Mr. Improper and had a better source for the story.

proof he is NOT planning to retire

Dean said in a recent online chat that Morrissey had asked him to write some new tunes, so I do believe there is at least another album in the works

www.worldwithoutborders.com/archive.shtml

> Also would he really 'mess' us around deliberatly? Surely he would say
> this bluntly if it were true. ????

Try listening to the Lyrics in Friday Morning.

Re: proof he is NOT planning to retire

> Dean said in a recent online chat that Morrissey had asked him to write
> some new tunes, so I do believe there is at least another album in the
> works

the link to the actual chat doesn't work. exactly how long ago was it?

> Try listening to the Lyrics in Friday Morning.

Post them please.

> the link to the actual chat doesn't work. exactly how long ago was it?

20 July 2004
see:
www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/19/1924214&mode=thread

MBB321 actually asked the question which resulted in dean b's admission, he'll have some info

Re: Is this link dead for everyone?

As was occurring when I tried to get on the chat, I keep getting a message that the URL has not been found.

Would it be too much trouble for anyone who can access it to cut and paste the body to the discussion board?

Cheers,

Jamie

> 20 July 2004
> see:
> www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/19/1924214&mode=thread
> MBB321 actually asked the question which resulted in dean b's admission,
> he'll have some info

yeah, but that was back in July. it's almost december. you know how things move for morrissey, and i could see how maybe after he went out on the road again and having to deal with labels and management and making videos and being forced to talk to magazines again that he could see how things aren't really the same that they once were.

Re: works for me, but here you go

Welcome to Pro-Mark Stix In Session!

Our guest today is Morrissey Drummer, Dean Butterworth.

Dean Butterworth has had the pleasure of working with a number of amazing artists over the years. From 1996-2001 he recorded and toured with Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals. He has also played on some great sessions with John Lee Hooker, Good Charlotte, Goldfinger, Kellie Price, Buckcherry, and many more.

Currently, Dean works with Morrissey which has been his main gig for over three years. Morrissey has blazed a trail for dozens of modern day alternative rock acts. His impact on pop music is undeniable.

Dean is currently on a world tour with Morrissey promoting the band's new album, You Are The Quarry. If you've ever had questions for him here is your chance to have them answered!

We welcome Dean Butterworth!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GCS_Angel: Dean, could you please begin by briefly telling us a bit about your style of drumming?
Dean Butterworth: My style of drumming is very diverse. I've worked over the years with a lot of different styles of music, and I feel that on the new Morrissey record, there's a few different styles of drumming like a funky groove like on the "I'm Not Sorry" song and then there is a song like "Camden" where I get to play a more jazzy way.
There are also some rock 'n roll songs on there so I get to sort of show my diversity as a drummer on that record. I love to play all styles of music and that is what I have done!

devoted101 asks: Deano, you're great.. saw you in chicago and was so incredibly impressed...i was the guy with the dreads in the front row at the house of blues show. What I was wondering with the exception of morrissey, who ELSE would you really like to drum for, and why?
Dean Butterworth: I remember you, devoted101, and you have tossed me a difficult question!
There are so many great artists that I would love to play with, but I am so incredibly happy playing with Morrissey right now. Thanks for the compliment!

From our email, siderealtime74: yahoo.co.uk sends you: Hello Deano, I've often wondered how drummers view the use of synthesizers and drum machines to create rhythm tracks as opposed to having a real live drummer. How do you feel about it? Love your drumming on "Forgiven" by the way, especially at the end
Dean Butterworth: I am a big fan of live drumming and I prefer to hear live organic drums as opposed to drum machines. Thanks for your hello! Hope to see you at Leeds or Redding.

glittery_ems asks: what inspired you to pick up sticks as opposed to say a trumpet? Do you like shortbread?
Dean Butterworth: When I was a young boy in Northern England, I used to go to my grandparent's house and set up pots and pans in the kitchen on the floor. I used wooden spoons and pretended to be playing drums, but I do play guitar and a little bit of piano, I sing and write music.
I like shortbread!

Frankly Vulgar asks: what's your favourite Morrissey song/album not counting YATQ?
Dean Butterworth: I would have to say "Meat Is Murder."

From our email, rlt asks: Love your drumming on YATQ especially on Come Back to Camden and All the Lazy Dykes. What CDs have you been listening to while on tour with Morrissey in 2004?
Dean Butterworth: "Louder Than Bombs" because I like listening to Smith. I've also been listening to "Abbey Road" by the Beetles and some Nancy Sinatra complilations.

chi-town_val asks: I dont want to get too personal, but why did you leave BHIC?? YOu have to know that you are truly missed....mostly by me!!
Dean Butterworth: The reason I left is that it was time to make a change, both for Ben and me, but we are still really good friends, and I had the pleasure of writing a song on his latest album called "She's Only Happy In The Sun" which I am very proud of and grateful that he put on his record.
I hope to continue to work with him and write more for him in the future. I am really so happy that things are going so well with him and his band. You should come to see me play with Morrissey! You would love it!

From our email, uknotbxeryus asks: On British TV this summer, you performed two songs with Morrissey on the Jonathan Ross show. In the Green Room, (which is televised, yes we saw it all), you looked very relaxed and also amused by the affections of the tv personality Dale Winton... who told most of the country that he fancied you. It was very funny of Dale. You appear to enjoy the spotlight, so are tv shows usually fun? What's the most fun part of your job?
Dean Butterworth: It's all fun! TV, live concerts, recording records -- it's all fun to me. I was a little bit embarrassed by the Dale Winton statement, but it was all in fun.

mbb321 asks: MBB321 - Deano from Manchester (redcoat) - How did you get the Morrissey drumming position, was it really through a newspaper advert?
Dean Butterworth: No. I was working in Los Angeles with the bass player from Bow Wow Wow and Morrissey's guitar player, Alain Whyte, wanted to go into the studio with Morrissey in LA to record five new songs. They were looking for a drummer and Alain is friends with Lee Gorman, the bass player from Bow Wow Wow and asked him if he knew any drummers, and then I got a phone call from Lee to go meet Alain in Hollywood. They then asked me to come into the studio the next day to record. The rest is history!

Diana asks: What's been the funniest thing you've seen or heard on tour so far?
Dean Butterworth: It is very hard to pick one thing out because we laugh and have fun all the time!

Harlow asks: Were you nervous when you first met Morrissey, or was it easy to jump right in?
Dean Butterworth: I was nervous! I have a lot of respect for his music and for what he has done as an artist, and it made me feel really good when he complimented me on my drumming.

dmpurist asks: Does Morrissey encourage fans getting on stage? The Chicago HOB saw a few lucky fans get on stage only to get carried off by security.

Dean Butterworth: I think that he likes the excitement of people getting on stage and sometimes he encourages it by asking people to come on stage, but there is usually a lot of security and they put a stop to it. Sometimes it really does get crazy and out of hand. I think it is great!

From our email, steve henderson asks: Hi Dean, last summer, while you were on a break from Morrissey, I saw you drum for Donovan Frankenreiter at the Moonshine Festival in the OC and again at an art gallery during Street Scene in San Diego. How do you approach the difference between laid back, low key, Californian surf/folk/rock versus the more aggressive, expansive, high profile Moz pop rock? Do you try to shift your drum style, mindset, and/or support techniques? Congrats on everything, you're doing great work.
Dean Butterworth: For me, all music has a different expression. Each song has a different expression and needs a different touch. Depending on the song -- some songs are more subtle and some songs are more aggressive -- is why I enjoy the diversity. As a player, I just know in whatever setting I am put into, what to play -- no matter who the artist is. You just have to feel the song and you know what to play. Thanks for your question, steve henderson!

Rootedfool asks: What is your favorite track on You Are The Quarry, and why?
Dean Butterworth: "Jesus" is my favorite track and the reason why is that I love the musical progression on the song and I especially love Morrissey's melody and lyric on the song. It has a ton of heart.

From our email, glittery_ems asks: You have worked with so many different bands in your career, and they have all been very different. What has been the biggest challenge for you as a drummer and why?
Dean Butterworth: I don't know that I find things difficult, but I try to work when I am practicing on all different styles of music, and I think that is why I have such a wide range of styles with the artists that I have worked with. For me I always want to give 100% with whoever I work with because the most important thing to me is making music and making it great. Making the Mossissey record, there was one song that took a little extra thought and was a little bit of a challenge to all of us in trying to get Morrissey's ideas from his head and heart to mine. Then I could translate that from the drums to the tracks, but I love to be challenged because it allows me and any musician to grow.

lulu_in_box asks: what kind of drum set did you start off with when young and what is your drum set of choice now these day's?
Dean Butterworth: My first drumset was made in the mid-60's and it was a Rogers kit. That belonged to my step-father who, at the time, played with Ricky Nelson. My drum set of choice today is Tama Star Classic Maple. I love them. You know...my drums would not sound the way they do without the Pro-Mark 5B natural wood tip drumsticks that I use.

From our email, Frederique asks: Hi Dean What lucky boy you are !!!!!!!!!! Moz Drummer. What is for you the best gig ever you ve done with Moz? Please tell him that i'm really proud of you're job all of you, I'm french follower since 1983.
Dean Butterworth: My favorite was Manchester Arena, this year, on Morrissey's birthday! It was simply amazing. Thank you very much, Frederique. I'll tell everybody that you say hello!

mbb321 asks: Has Morrissey offered you the opportunity to co-write any material for future a future album!
Dean Butterworth: Yes. I am very excited to do that.

GCS_Angel: What's coming up on the horizon for you, Dean?
Dean Butterworth: We are doing Craig Kilborn this Thursday, then we are heading back to London in a couple of weeks to rehearse for a festival in Spain. Then we will be taking a couple of weeks off before the festivals in the UK. Later in the year, we should be doing U. S. and European tours.

GCS_Angel: Unfortunately we are almost out of time. Do you have any final comments or insights for our audience before we wrap up?
Dean Butterworth: I just want to thank everybody who took the time to come and say hello. I am very sorry to the people that I did not get to speak to this evening. I hope that all of you have a wonderful rest of your day or night (wherever you may be) and hope to see you all at a Morrissey show very, very soon! I want to thank Pro-Mark Stix for sponsoring this chat and giving me the opportunity to do this. I am very grateful. Much love to everyone!

GCS_Angel: Thank you Dean Butterworth! I am so glad you could join us today here at WWB and Pro-Mark's In Session!
Dean Butterworth: I hope we get to do this again soon!

Stupid article

>British singer MORRISSEY is reportedly planning to retire next year (05) after >hinting to fans his current world tour could be his last.

Reportedly?

>His first album in four years, YOU ARE THE QUARRY, has proved a hit with fans >and critics alike, but he is not happy in the business.

When was he happy in the business?

>A source says, "Morrissey has been making hints during his shows, telling fans >that this could be his last tour. The word is, he'll release his final single >early next year.

LOL! Their "source" is merely someone who went to a few shows. *rolls eyes*

>"He has never wanted to become an ageing rocker."

I dunno, he's said mixed things on this. When he was 8young* he said stuff like that, but as time has passed his talked about how people should be ageist.

>Morrissey's spokesperson adds, "I honestly don't know. The fans probably know >more than we do."

Talk about manufacturing a story out of thin air.....

Back
Top Bottom