Morrissey is evil according to Tony Wilson

"I hate Morrissey with a venom only matched by the venom the arsehole feels for me".

I howled. :lbf:

I wouldn't say Morrissey was evil.
He just didn't worship at the church of Tony and the rest of the Manchester roughs.
I have Meet Tony before and he is a bit of a prat, all be it a kind hearted one.

Morrissey, doesn't hate Tony and vice versa they just liked bitching- as far as I can tell.

Tony later said that Moz was a good pop star but a "c***" in real life.
And from what I have heard he is but aren't we all a bit.

I wouldn't say Morrissey was evil.
He just didn't worship at the church of Tony and the rest of the Manchester roughs.
I have Meet Tony before and he is a bit of a prat, all be it a kind hearted one.

Morrissey, doesn't hate Tony and vice versa they just liked bitching- as far as I can tell.

Tony later said that Moz was a good pop star but a "c***" in real life.
And from what I have heard he is but aren't we all a bit.

Yes. In the words of Steve Coogan:

"Everyone's a bit of a c*** sometimes"

*hums*

I don't wish to speak too ill of the dead and I'm sure Mr Wilson was generally a good egg but he was a bit of a tool. I once worked on a TV show with him and he made the crew creep around while he had a power-nap in front of everyone. He once commented about Morrissey's diva behaviour but he was a diva too.
There is also the interview he did with The Smiths in 1985 and he is purposely goading Morrissey by continually calling him "Steven".Not nice.
I reckon Wilson was pissed off with Morrissey's success as he had no hand in it. In fact I think Morrissey literally,and metophorically,used to cross the road to avoid Wilson.

....Nothing really to add to this discussion, except that I must be the ONLY person born in Liverpool, who actually respects and admires Anthony H Wilson for his contribution to music "Journalism" in general...I used to look forwrd to "So it Goes" with great anticipation....he filled me in on some great music that I would otherwise never had heard....Just Like St. John Peel.....Thanks lads, Rest In Peace.....

I don't wish to speak too ill of the dead and I'm sure Mr Wilson was generally a good egg but he was a bit of a tool. I once worked on a TV show with him and he made the crew creep around while he had a power-nap in front of everyone. He once commented about Morrissey's diva behaviour but he was a diva too.
There is also the interview he did with The Smiths in 1985 and he is purposely goading Morrissey by continually calling him "Steven".Not nice.
I reckon Wilson was pissed off with Morrissey's success as he had no hand in it. In fact I think Morrissey literally,and metophorically,used to cross the road to avoid Wilson.

According to Rogan, Morrissey was the first to make contact with Wilson, sending him a New York Dolls record to play on his TV show. They had some exchanges before The Smiths, too, Wilson claiming that he tried to help Morrissey get published and generally liked and supported him. (Their prior acquaintance is probably why he called him Steven, though it was still somewhat rude.)

By the way, I'm sure you know a lot more about Wilson than I do, having worked on a show with him, but if a power nap is supposed to be "diva"-ish behavior I'm bound to consider that praising with faint damnation. :)

Johnny Marr said in the South Bank Show that it was vital that the Smiths didn't sign to Factory. I'm sure they respected the Factory label and the bands on it, but the Smiths didn't want to be grouped in with a 'scene' and I don't think they could've been anyway.

we cant say hes right or say hes wrong because we have never met Morrissey from Tony's point of view

Do you mean this interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCuqKzW6r7M

He really seems to not like Morrissey in it. Great interview though.

The "power nap" was in a TV studio full of crew and technicians who had to do their jobs quietly and meekly so has not to disturb him. Why didn't he just f*** off to his dressing room?

Regarding John Peel, if you get a hold of the 'Rarities, B-sides and the Beeb' bootleg, it has a documentary where Marr, Mike Pickering, Peel, (I think) David Jensen and maybe one or two others (John Walters? I can't remember, it's been a while since I listened to it) talk about The Smiths inbetween recordings from the BBC sessions. What Peel says is basically what's already been mentioned, he certainly doesn't say anything that could be construed as negative. The bootleg is also available under a few different names, one being 'My Favourite Motorway Services', a bootleg taking it's name from a story Peel tells about meeting Moz at...well, a motorway service.

As for the roots of Wilson's beef with Morrissey, that seems to be anyone's guess. However, whether it was intentional or not from Wilson's side, I do indeed think it was, if not exactly a blessing, at least just as well that The Smiths didn't sign with Factory. While I love a whole lot of the Factory bands (particularly from the period where they would potentially have signed with Factory), I don't see how they would have fit in with that label and it's sort of artsy/druggie/dance music vibe.

Last edited:
I think it's just simply that Morrissey was never part of the in crowd of Manchester. The people deemed to be worthy of pop stardom by Wilson.

Hence the fact that he ended up being a bigger success than all Wilson's chosen ones was a thorn in the side.

Back
Top Bottom