Morrissey is back in the studio soon

I found it strange how the oral sex "theme" was highlighted by reviewers on the last album. I mean, it's been there ever since Reel Around The Fountain and has featured ever since. It's like "a tough kid who sometimes swallows nails", Angel Angel, Down We Go Together, "there's nowhere to go but down", "he went down on one knee", "bullet in the gullet", "something got stuck in his throat", "peel it back and bite me", "he took the blast/his very last" etc. etc. never happened. It was as if some people had never noticed the innuendo before.
Agreed, but it's a case of diminishing returns given the bluntness. Everything you quoted was tongue- or something in cheek. I miss that.

So Mossad locked him in the studio and demanded more songs about Israel. The keys of the city became the chains of the country.

Instead of dressing in Kappa he will wear a kippa.

Yes, you would think Moz potentially recording another album would be newsworthy here. Then again, I was surprised when the six new song titles weren't promoted to a news story. Though I'm guessing certain mods are looking for a more negative angle to things...

I think so. One of the new songs is called Diana Dors, isn't it? So it's difficult to see how there could be a political angle to that one. Though you never know, I suppose.

I found it strange how the oral sex "theme" was highlighted by reviewers on the last album. I mean, it's been there ever since Reel Around The Fountain and has featured ever since. It's like "a tough kid who sometimes swallows nails", Angel Angel, Down We Go Together, "there's nowhere to go but down", "he went down on one knee", "bullet in the gullet", "something got stuck in his throat", "peel it back and bite me", "he took the blast/his very last" etc. etc. never happened. It was as if some people had never noticed the innuendo before.

Reach much?

Yes, you would think Moz potentially recording another album would be newsworthy here. Then again, I was surprised when the six new song titles weren't promoted to a news story. Though I'm guessing certain mods are looking for a more negative angle to things...

New song titles were announced? Where?

Good news on the face of it but it will depend on record company funding. Would be surprised if LIHS had sold enough...
sold 32000 in the uk in its first week,thats not bad numbers,world peace was only 18000.whats it like being an expert on record company funding.

sold 32000 in the uk in its first week,thats not bad numbers,world peace was only 18000.whats it like being an expert on record company funding.

Well, I certainly wouldn't ask you coz it actually sold 25,000 in week 1. World Peace was the worst seller since Maladjusted and LIHS has only sold fractionally more (in total around the world). A lot more money was spent on its promotion (two proper videos, TV and radio ads) than for WP so it's very unlikely the record company broke even. The album could certainly be revived if another single picks up the airplay of Spent the Day. But as things stand, it's not looking good.

I think that's perhaps the point, though, Orson. It was the clever, witty innuendo people liked - some of it quite outrageous, but always partly concealed. There was something quite delicious about the wordplay. Morrissey has written more songs referencing sex than anyone else I can think of, but what I find disappointing now is the baldness: 'When you open your legs', 'I just want my face in your lap' 'Wrap your legs around my face' etc. The wit, the poetry and the cheeky wordplay has gone, and without them it's just some old bloke singing about somebody's cock. Or possibly his own cock. Either way, it's a lot less appealing.

Last edited:
I think that's perhaps the point, though, Orson. It was the clever, witty innuendo people liked - some of it quite outrageous, but always partly concealed. There was something quite delicious about the wordplay. Morrissey has written more songs referencing sex than anyone else I can think of, but what I find disappointing now is the baldness: 'When you open your legs', 'I just want my face in your lap' 'Wrap your legs around my face' etc. The wit, the poetry and the cheeky wordplay has gone, and without them it's just some old bloke singing about somebody's cock. Or possibly his own cock. Either way, it's a lot less appealing.

Was "Let me get my hands on your mammary glands" really all that different?

Was "Let me get my hands on your mammary glands" really all that different?
Well, you've got a point there. But as a general trend, I think it's a lot less oblique now and this is not just my opinion, many people have said this, including Iggy.

Do to the timing and context the wrap you legs around my face line was hilarious

Well, I certainly wouldn't ask you coz it actually sold 25,000 in week 1. World Peace was the worst seller since Maladjusted and LIHS has only sold fractionally more (in total around the world). A lot more money was spent on its promotion (two proper videos, TV and radio ads) than for WP so it's very unlikely the record company broke even. The album could certainly be revived if another single picks up the airplay of Spent the Day. But as things stand, it's not looking good.
eh I think the 25000 was cds and 6000 vinyl.get your facts right before you come on here and start spouting verbal diarrhoea.

From Mando’s IG story, a picture that seems to show Matt Walker on drums in the studio. Or am I mistaken and that’s not Matt?
1856B773-18B5-4C48-B481-6624EB35FD3F.png

View attachment 43623 Also from Mando’s IG story earlier today: Joe Chiccarelli at the computer in the studio.
Nope, that’s LA-based producer Manny Nieto. And on the drums in the other photo is Erik Gardner (who did play drums for Moz for a few gigs back in 2012...)
I believe Mando is recording with his side gig, The Chavez Ravine.

That´s not Matt I think...
Thanks, probably you are right. I thought the hair looked too long to be Matt, but I wasn't sure who else it might be. The other picture does seem to be the back of Joe Chiccarelli's hairless head.

Apologies for the large pictures; these were uploaded from my phone and I wasn't sure how to make them smaller.

Maybe a short studio session before the UK tour starts up in two weeks?

Musicians talk about having great songs left over from their recording sessions a lot, and it doesn't always turn out that they have.

Morrissey has plenty of fantastic songs. Not just from LIHS sessions.

Back
Top Bottom