Morrissey ~ "i-D" magazine, December 1996

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
From "The Undressed Issue".

DjbHFGIXoAAqw_n.jpg:large

A previously unknown (to me) cutie-pie Q&A.
Moz was but one in a series of models, actors, artists, clubbers (plus a Kylie...and one gardener) featured throughout, in various stages of undress.
All were asked the same 5 questions.

í wasn't a regular user (of "i-D") back in the daze; just the occasional sniff.

Thus this slipped by me, until now.

:brows:

Moz was but one in a series of models, actors, artists, clubbers (plus a Kylie...and one gardener) featured throughout, in various stages of undress.

I like 'Morrissey wears vintage Levi's'. Where?? On his feet?

I like 'Morrissey wears vintage Levi's'. Where?? On his feet?

í took it to mean generally.
As a matter of daily habit.
But not necessarily in the featured photograph.
But then, í am quite sick...

Or else, in the sense of 'your vintage Levis's look good...on my bathroom floor'

Shall we move on...?

í took it to mean generally.
As a matter of daily habit.
But not necessarily in the featured photograph.
But then, í am quite sick...

Or else, in the sense of 'your vintage Levis's look good...on my bathroom floor'

Shall we move on...?

I've always liked that photo despite its seemingly mixed messages. It's incredibly sexual - what with the fake Honey tattoo around his nipple and where the shot cuts off at that bottom. But he looks rough as hell, slightly... er... unwashed, with '4 days of stubble', big black bags under his eyes and really miserable (although nothing new there, I guess). You feel there's a story behind it that we'll probably never get to know.

Last edited:
I've always liked that photo despite its seemingly mixed messages. It's incredibly sexual - what with the fake Honey tattoo around his nipple and where the shot cuts off at that bottom. But he looks rough as hell, slightly... er... unwashed, with '4 days of stubble', big black bags under his eyes and not very happy (although nothing new there, I guess). You feel there's a story behind it that we'll probably never get to know.

After "Autobiography", í had always assumed that it was taken in the lav at Delresto Drive in the Hills of Beverly. According to that Tome of Truth, during the Jake Years, he invested in a property there which made him ill, his "breathing heavy and my eyes permanently crossed". All due to the ten hours of Californian sun invading every room of the house, rendering it an "inferno".

Which would also explain his being in the nip...?

After "Autobiography", í had always assumed that it was taken in the lav at Delresto Drive in the Hills of Beverly. According to that Tome of Truth, during the Jake Years, he invested in a property there which made him ill, his "breathing heavy and my eyes permanently crossed". All due to the ten hours of Californian sun invading every room of the house, rendering it an "inferno".

Ah yes, that would make sense, I suppose. He does look seriously miserable about something, 'brooding' doesn't begin to cover it. I bet he was hell to live with :lbf:

Thanks for this.
I was voracious collecting throughout the 90's and this escaped me too.
Probably due to the nondescript cover - I'd have walked straight by it:
20180731_153646.jpg

Even some of the later online collectors missed it (and PJLM).
From the late Morrissey Scans master index - only 2 '96 entries:
20180731_154045.jpg

I've currently embarked on a project trying to assemble the bulk of these old site's contents to preserve more permanently their wonderful efforts here and on a dedicated site.
It is beyond overwhelming, but things like this turning up helps fill in crucial gaps.
Cheers,
FWD.

An article saved today to share:

(on a side note, if anyone here knows Aly aka 'ThisCharmlessGirl' from MorrisseyScans:
I'd love to get in contact and try to resurrect some of their hard work - thank you).

Last edited:

That house is currently for sale for a cool $5.4 million!

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/ca/beverly-hills/1263-delresto-dr/pid_21706819/

Reckon there sure is a lot of "California sun" invading his sun deck at his house in Malibu where him and Aunt Nancy lay out and get a tan. "Warm summer days outdoors" You people are so lost and even after all these years, you still don't get it.

Don't know if it was mentioned already but the photo is older than 1996 ... isn't it the same one used in the inner picture for the "Hold Onto Your Friends" vinyl gatefold?

Don't know if it was mentioned already but the photo is older than 1996 ... isn't it the same one used in the inner picture for the "Hold Onto Your Friends" vinyl gatefold?

Yes - perhaps slightly less cropped.

That 'HONEY' is incorrect labelling, everyone knows it's "milk, milk, lemonade, round the back chocolate's made".

The photograph was taken in 1993.

how about posting images of ice cubes instead during this excruciating heat wave? thanks for your lack of compassion...

Ah yes, that would make sense, I suppose. He does look seriously miserable about something, 'brooding' doesn't begin to cover it. I bet he was hell to live with :lbf:
I don't know what you're seeing! he doesn't look miserable at all! maybe a little "adorably petulant", but what do you expect when you're that good looking?

I don't know what you're seeing! he doesn't look miserable at all! maybe a little "adorably petulant", but what do you expect when you're that good looking?
Perhaps that's where all my relationships have gone wrong, I'm just wildly misreading the signals :lbf: To me he looks like he's just discovered a bald patch and he's wondering how he can go on living.

Back
Top Bottom