Morrissey concerts from hell

brody

Every big artist has performed notoriously bad shows. For Elvis it’s Houston ‘76; for Oasis, Whiskey-A-Go-Go ‘94. What concerts would you say are among Morrissey’s worst? Whether it would be a poor setlist, bad performance, a walk-off, even. Bonus points if bootlegs exist

Not Morrissey but The Smiths at Preston Guildhall, my 3rd Smiths gig, someone threw (what I always thought was a coin) at Morrissey during the first song which was TQID. Morrissey left the stage and the gig was cancelled.

Last edited:
Not Morrissey but The Smiths at Preston Guildhall, my 3rd Smiths gig, someone threw (what I always thought was a coin) at Morrissey during the first song which was TQID. Morrissey left the stage and the gig was cancelled.

The announcement at the end of the video said it was a glass that split his head open so that he had to have stitches.

Every big artist has performed notoriously bad shows. For Elvis it’s Houston ‘76; for Oasis, Whiskey-A-Go-Go ‘94. What concerts would you say are among Morrissey’s worst? Whether it would be a poor setlist, bad performance, a walk-off, even. Bonus points if bootlegs exist

Probably not too many, when compared to how many amazing shows he has done, Smiths and solo.

The announcement at the end of the video said it was a glass that split his head open so that he had to have stitches.

I don’t think it was a glass as they were plastic containers for drinks, although someone could have snuck one in as there weren’t security checks back then

Not a total disaster, but I remember Moz was not feeling it in Milano 2014. Was ironically refering to the venue as "this ilustrious theatre" (some kind of soulless sportsvenue outside the city) and only playing 17 songs, whereas he'd played 19-20 the shows before.

Don't know if it was quite 'from hell' - but I was in the audience for Moz's show as part of Bowie's 'Outside' tour, at Wembley Arena, on the Saturday night, the fourth of four nights at that venue, 18th November 1995. This is the tour Moz was later to walk out on, of course.
The venue was absolutely horrible. 80% of the crowd were there to see Bowie. And Moz was promoting a 'difficult' album in terms of a wider audience, Southpaw Grammar, despite being a favourite album of many fans, of course, including myself. Is it also possible that Moz was fighting depression at the time? Who knows. But my memory of that night is that it felt flat and never really came alive. Drab is the word that comes to mind. A word that is used on the album. Must be so difficult to sing to an audience the majority of whom aren't there to see you. I can totally understand why Moz decided to leave the tour. Bowie would never forgive him. Bowie's performance was very good. Apparently both Brett Anderson and Richard Oakes from Suede were present on the Saturday night too, but they missed Morrissey's set and only saw Bowie. They didn't miss that much to be honest.

Odense, Denmark, June 2009

My horror is managing to get to a show and being chucked out. As a new fan who is enjoying the music rather than trying to learn everything, there are many songs I know nothing about. And I like to check information about everything I'm interested in. I have two books about the songs, one by a person he ill-wished. So I had wondered about taking the other book and a torch and dropping down to read up on the songs as they happen! Possibly the Moz encyclopedia as well. Would I get asked to leave for that? I was surprised when he asked the person with the "Bigmouth Indeed" placard to leave another show....how about rising above things like a true professional? I also like the old Smiths footage where he has left the stage because of audience behaviour and Johnny really fights his corner.

My horror is managing to get to a show in a good seat and being chucked out. As a new fan who is enjoying the music rather than trying to learn everything, there are many songs I know nothing about. And I like to check information about everything I'm interested in. I have two books about the songs, one by a person he ill-wished. So I had wondered about taking the other book and a torch and dropping down to read up on the songs as they happen! Possibly the Moz encyclopedia as well. Would I get asked to leave for that? I was surprised when he asked the person with the "Bigmouth Indeed" placard to leave another show....how about rising above things like a true professional? I also like the old Smiths footage where he has left the stage because of audience behaviour and Johnny really fights his corner.

For me the 1991 UCLA show:

I was on the floor and it got quite tense and dangerous. I ended up helping a lot of people who had tripped and become stuck in the folding chairs on the floor. It took a bit to restore order and get people out of the building.

Of course, David T wrote about it in his SYL fanzine back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom