Meat is Murder has not aged well

bored

not bitter but bored
I was in the car last night and had about a 45 minute drive so I put on Meat Is Murder.

While hearing the entire album all at once I really felt like I was listening to some really dated material.

Does anyone else think this album now sounds like a relic of the past?

I think the one song that has aged very well is "I Want the One I Can't Have"

Who cares whether it's dated or not?
It's a flawless album nonetheless.

disagree sounds fresh and exciting as the day it went to number 1 in the UK

and a crack on the head is what you get for asking :lbf:

"I think the one song that has aged very well is "I Want the One I Can't Have"

but that is your theme song bored...:blushing:

I was in the car last night and had about a 45 minute drive so I put on Meat Is Murder.

While hearing the entire album all at once I really felt like I was listening to some really dated material.

I think the one song that has aged very well is "I Want the One I Can't Have"

Lies. It's a work of timeless genius. Some of Johnny's best tunes, some of Morrissey's best lyrics. Is there another album with a better opener?

Peter

Although I do equate my most earliest days of Smiths fandom with this record (granted it wasn't decades ago like most), I still hear the same fresh sounding songs that lyrically inspire, and physically invigorate.

Aka, the Smiths songs most likely to make you dance.

Re: Meat is Murder still sounds fantastic

I still vividly remember the first time I listened 'The Headmaster Ritual', 'Nowhere Fast', 'Barbarism Begins at Home' from radio in March 1985.

Looking back now I was rather spoilt to get such an amazing album in less than three months after 'Hatful of Hollow'.

What She Said was such a surprise at the time with its metal guitar.

Barbarism does sound very dated though.

Sorry, bored, it's as great now as it was in 1985.

Which is to say it's still eight sublime tracks plus one I skip far more often than not ("Meat Is Murder"). :)

it has only aged as a fine wine should.

I didn't say it wasn't a good album or that the lyrics and the music were not great. They are.. but the album just sounds very 80's and very dated. I don't get the same feeling when listening to TQID or SHWC or even HOH or LTB.. The first album I never liked much and rarely listen to it so I can't comment on that.

Re: Meat is Murder

I didn't say it wasn't a good album or that the lyrics and the music were not great. They are.. but the album just sounds very 80's and very dated. I don't get the same feeling when listening to TQID or SHWC or even HOH or LTB.. The first album I never liked much and rarely listen to it so I can't comment on that.

We're getting old, unable to go back in 80s.

It's nothing wrong you to find that it isn't aged well.

"

I could not disagree more.

bored, I think you're just trying to start a little bit of trouble on this forum today. :lbf:

No, but I thought it would lead to an actual conversation not just 100% disagreement.

It's just an opinion that I apparently hold alone.

Absolutely superb album, in my opinion. I would listen to it moreso than TQID, to be honest. I must admit to being a little weary of hearing the title track, though.

No, but I thought it would lead to an actual conversation not just 100% disagreement.

It's just an opinion that I apparently hold alone.

As you know I'm always up for conversation :blushing: but I don't see that there's much to discuss here. It is not only great, it does not (to my ears) sound dated. The album sounds like an album recorded in 1985, I suppose, but when I listen to the songs they still sound fresh (or as fresh as they can sound after 1,452,981 plays).

The only Smiths album that has not aged well is "The Smiths", but that's old news. The album was superseded the moment "Hatful of Hollow" came out.

I agree about Meat is Murder sounding the most aged. I think people are being a bit kneejerk in their responses to the observation.

I don't agree with The Smiths though because I think that album is so unusual that it's timeless.

I agree about Meat is Murder sounding the most aged. I think people are being a bit kneejerk in their responses to the observation.

Can't speak for anyone else here, but it was only about ten days ago that I played "Meat Is Murder", stopped in my tracks, and said, "This album sounds as good now as it ever has". I played "The Queen Is Dead" right after it and came to the same conclusion. Seriously. A true, if pitifully boring, story. :o

I kind of think it aged the best? I mean, sure it's a bit of a time capsule, but musically I think it's the least dated of all. It only took about 20 years to finally become my favourite Smiths album. I had an epiphany one day last year.

Tags
80's 80's 80's i want you meat is dinner
Back
Top Bottom