Leak 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' here

Morrissey's Most Sexist Song to Date....

I was shocked and ashamed to discover how incredibly sexist "Kick The Bride Down the Aisle" is! This is very strange for Morrissey and I am uncertain as to why he would put these thoughts in a song. All women will be wanting to stone him after hearing this one. Is anyone else listening to the lyrics of these songs because it just sounds like everyone is judging the music.

I adore the album.

Everyone's a critic.

Downloaded WPINOYB last night at the same bit-rate as the copy I preordered. It's completely unexpected and musically/lyrically it's probably his strongest offering in 20 years (although, of course, there are some duds.) This really would sit comfortably on the shelf with "Kill Uncle" and "Bona Drag." Honestly, I didn't think he had an album like this in him. I won't go as far as some and claim it's his best work since "Vauxhall and I" because I've only listened to it twice but unless it goes flat for me over the next couple of listens I'll say it has to be one of his top three solo albums. Like it or hate it you've got to give him kudos for FINALLY trying something new in the music department. Production-wise it's absolutely 2014 but lyrically and thematically it could be 1994 (I mean that in the absolute best way!) This new producer upped the Shins and White Stripes games with "Wincing the Night Away" and "Icky Thump" by churning out two albums that distinctively sounded like those bands but at the same time sounded completely new- now he's done the same for our man Moz. Also, Moz seems to have accepted the idea (about 25 years too late) that he's not radio-friendly and, to my ear anyway, I don't hear any attempts at a heavy-rotation single on the entire album. The six bonus tracks hold up as well and harken back to those exciting days of my youth when Morrissey b-sides were something to get excited about. Lame as I may sound this album has breathed new life into this old, tired and cynical fan. As an aside... IF Moz ever wants to re-explore his crunchy guitar rock sound I suggest he ask Joe C. to hook him up with Jack White as his next producer (retaining Joe C. as engineer.) Not sure how many Moz fans are also White Stripe fans but just imagine ROTT or YOR re-imagined by Jack White... gives me goosebumps!

Last edited:
Downloaded WPINOYB last night at the same bit-rate as the copy I preordered. It's completely unexpected and musically/lyrically it's probably his strongest offering in 20 years (although, of course, there are some duds.) This really would sit comfortably on the shelf with "Kill Uncle" and "Bona Drag." Honestly, I didn't think he had an album like this in him. I won't go as far as some and claim it's his best work since "Vauxhall and I" because I've only listened to it twice but unless it goes flat for me over the next couple of listens I'll say it has to be one of his top three solo albums. Like it or hate it you've got to give him kudos for FINALLY trying something new in the music department. Production-wise it's absolutely 2014 but lyrically and thematically it could be 1994 (I mean that in the absolute best way!) This new producer upped the Shins and White Stripes games with "Wincing the Night Away" and "Icky Thump" by churning out two albums that distinctively sounded like those bands but at the same time sounded completely new- now he's done the same for our man Moz. Also, Moz seems to have accepted the idea (about 25 years too late) that he's not radio-friendly and, to my ear anyway, I don't hear any attempts at a heavy-rotation single on the entire album. The six bonus tracks hold up as well and harken back to those exciting days of my youth when Morrissey b-sides were something to get excited about. Lame as I may sound this album has breathed new life into this old, tired and cynical fan. As an aside... IF Moz ever wants to re-explore his crunchy guitar rock sound I suggest he ask Joe C. to hook him up with Jack White as his next producer (retaining Joe C. as engineer.) Not sure how many Moz fans are also White Stripe fans but just imagine ROTT or YOR re-imagined by Jack White... gives me goosebumps!

I'm not reading this until you add some paragraphs :)

Love the album. Some outstanding tracks. I'm sure there will be many critics but people who get Morrissey will love this album.

MuckDude

The arrangements sound a little forced?

As a songwriter/multi-instrumentalist producer myself, unlike what seems to be the general consensus around here I actually prefer the bigger distorted guitar arrangements. To me a classic artist like Morrissey doesn't need arrangements that can sound too busy. Morrissey has always been one of those artists who wouldn't be caught dead using something like auto tune for example. So, I think his recordings shine best when things are more straight ahead,stripped, and closer to how the group sounds live. Other than your core live instrumentation of: drums.,bass, a couple of guitars, and various keyboards the only overdubs someone like Moz really needs would be a bit of orchestration, (usually mostly strings and maybe a bit of brass and wood wind flourishes), along with some vocal harmonies. Some ooh's and ah's, and some vocals maybe being double tracked in spots. But that's about it. That to me makes a great Morrissey album. It almost seems like because the last few albums had that more raw overdriven big guitar sound, maybe between camp Moz and Joe C. the producer they might have made a conscious effort to move away from the bigger guitar sound and agreed to take things down a few notches? And well, to me it sounds a little forced.

With the Ringleader's album, I wasn't at all a big fan of Visonti's vocal's. Adding all that slap back style echo to all of Moz's vocals just made them sound lifeless to me. However, musically I really like Ringleader's because it more or less sounds like the group live. Based on the In Studio's performances from last year it appears that Tony likes to indeed go for that live in your face sound by getting everyone in a room to lay down the basic tracks. I think there is overall more emotion and power/energy to the arrangements whenever you record a group live. The vocals can be also sung live but usually the live vocals would be considered a scratch track to help guide the musicians through the song, and then the vocals would get re-recorded separately later on.

I remember pre Quarry, a lot of songs that eventually turned up on that album were played live quite a bit. There were a couple of live bootlegs around at the time, and I remember thinking that the song's I like you and Mexico were among the best songs he had ever done. When Quarry came out I was slightly let down with the song I like you, because the energy I heard in the live version was gone. It had been stripped away in favor of too much synth, and the drums had either been over processed with effects or they were using some kind of electronic loop? The same has happened again on this album with the songs Art Hounds, and Earth is the Loneliest. Those song rocked live! Especially Art hounds. Now, not so much. I actually like the intro to Art hounds. Some of you are complaining about it,but I'm much more let down with the energy being peeled away from it. I guess, I just find that the live heavy distorted Alternative rock/rooted in 70's glam sounds awesome. Especially with Moz's soft crooning vocal style. It makes for a perfect juxtaposition, having the heavy guitars with the sweet crooning vocals on top, it works really well. Case in point we wouldn't be on this site wasting our time if it hadn't worked all of these years on. However as an artist I can understand that you do want to try and stretch out and evolve a bit, you don't want to be stuck doing the same thing over and over. For the most part every release in this century has had a very similar sound. So I guess it makes sense to try something a little different with the overall sound/arrangement and feel of this album. I'm sure it will grow on me.

Oddly though, for me personally on pretty much every Moz album there has always been at least one or two if not more of those songs that grab you across the room with one of those melodies that gives you the chills. The ones that just get you straight away,you know? And well, this has been the first album of his where that didn't really happen to me straight away; and I say oddly because it seems like most reviews of the album have been not stellar but, leaning more towards the positive side alluding that this has been his best release in recent years?

Food for thought, what if scenario:

A couple of years ago on the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's Nevermind album, Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters called on Nevermind's producer Buth Vig to produce his new Foo Fighter record. That record went on to be hailed as probably the best album that the Foo's have made to date. I think timing wise if Moz wanted to make this mellower album; with the Vauxhall anniversary anmd re-release it would have been perfectly timed if he had asked Steve Lillywhite to produce this album instead? From a promotional standpoint with the way Vauxhall has been hailed and along with its reissue, it would have built this album up much,much more. There would have been an even biggest buzz about it. Although I doubt it could have ever happened. I've heard its improved in recent years but from what I understand Moz and Steve's relationship has never been that great at least since they last worked together?

I'm thinking now, as I'm on about listen 4 it is growing.

BTW I didn't download, I have an advanced promo copy.
We need to support artists like Moz, the record industry sucks compared to what it once was. Today unless, you are hand picked by the corporate machine it is near impossible to gain respect and recognition for your work, know matter how good or how genuine of artist you are. If you're not backed by the machine, forget it. That corporate machine has many ties and connections that reaches very far and wide. That's why you see people like Kanye West getting 5 star reviews in publications like Rolling stone magazine and the NME when, a true artist like Moz can't even get a record deal! WTF is that all about huh? So please support the artists don't just download. And you jokers who say that you are still going to buy it or you already have it pre ordered are full of SHITE! I'm willing to bet, out of everyone who has downloaded the leak, possibly 2% of you will also purchase it or have already pre ordered it!

I wonder this too. I’m a person who usually likes to digest albums as an album. So the bonus tracks will get play from time to time but for the most part I just listen to the album proper. An example of this is the deluxe version of YOTQ. I love the B-sides but when I listen to it I usually just listen to the first 12 tracks.

in the case of WPINOYB too, Oboe concerto is such a great closing track it will get lost in the shuffle if it’s not listened to as the last track, I think.

Alain is a very talented musician that I have had the pleasure to play with. A lot of people do not realize but when he sends Morrissey instrumental demos they have a full sounding band arrangement to them and he plays all of the instruments himself tracking them separately!

Re: Morrissey's Most Sexist Song to Date....

I was shocked and ashamed to discover how incredibly sexist "Kick The Bride Down the Aisle" is! This is very strange for Morrissey and I am uncertain as to why he would put these thoughts in a song. All women will be wanting to stone him after hearing this one. Is anyone else listening to the lyrics of these songs because it just sounds like everyone is judging the music.

This was exactly my first impression upon hearing it live in Boston.

It was the standout track for me, the harmonies, language, complexities...as I mentioned before, if only he'd ditch the F to E7 at the end of the line, it would be up there with I Am Hated For Loving for me.

P.

Are you sure you're not referring to an Augmented chord? Boz is famous for throwing in an augmented chord, particularly at the end of a verse or end of a chorus.

I concur. It's absolutely mandatory that everyone who likes World Peace look into not just buying the album but considering one of the larger packages at http://www.myplaydirect.com/morrissey.

As I said, I went for the fifty dollar package to show as much respect as I could without damaging my checkbook too much. It's my birthday next month, so yeah.

But thirteen for the bare download of 18 songs is as fair as it gets.

Think of how the internet is saving television shows that major networks cancel (as well as bringing brave new content like Orange is the New Black). There's no reason for anybody with a strong following to languish. I'm glad to see Moz is modernizing his sales model to fit the internet age.

I mean, yes, the man's money goes right under the pillow once he's bought his month's supply of toast and beans, but still. It's about respect.

@iloveopiates- I think your 2% guesstimate is way too low considering you're talking about fans that usually buy every version of every album/single that's released... Moz is great but you can't pretend he doesn't squeeze every possible penny out of a willing fanbase. I did preorder the deluxe download and when the DELUXE deluxe 20 track edition is eventually released I'll buy a physical copy as well. I felt incredibly burned after the YATQ deluxe release so I'll wait to buy a physical CD after I'm fairly certain the definitive version's been released. Seriously- how can you imply Moz fans don't support him? Also, on a personal level, I'll never download without actually buying because I'd have happily spent my life working in record stores. Illegal downloads and iTunes killed my dream! :thumb:

Last edited:
I concur. It's absolutely mandatory that everyone who likes World Peace look into not just buying the album but considering one of the larger packages at http://www.myplaydirect.com/morrissey.

As I said, I went for the fifty dollar package to show as much respect as I could without damaging my checkbook too much. It's my birthday next month, so yeah.

But thirteen for the bare download of 18 songs is as fair as it gets.

Think of how the internet is saving television shows that major networks cancel (as well as bringing brave new content like Orange is the New Black). There's no reason for anybody with a strong following to languish. I'm glad to see Moz is modernizing his sales model to fit the internet age.

I mean, yes, the man's money goes right under the pillow once he's bought his month's supply of toast and beans, but still. It's about respect.

Oh yeah, respect. Please, will someone tell Moz about what that word means, next time he cancels gigs, and his fans lose non-refundable airfare, service charges on concert tickets, etc. etc.
Absolutely mandatory that everyone look into overspending on multiple versions of the same thing? The message to Moz with that way of thinking is this: Treat your fans like garbage, and we'll still support you.
Do the right thing: find somewhere online to download it...:thumb:

Oh yeah, respect. Please, will someone tell Moz about what that word means, next time he cancels gigs, and his fans lose non-refundable airfare, service charges on concert tickets, etc. etc.
Absolutely mandatory that everyone look into overspending on multiple versions of the same thing? The message to Moz with that way of thinking is this: Treat your fans like garbage, and we'll still support you.
Do the right thing: find somewhere online to download it...:thumb:

So since he was sick and canceled his tour, we should not pay for the album. That's amazing logic.

The message to Morrissey buy paying for his album and consider going for one of the bigger packages is this: make a great album and you'll be rewarded for it.

It doesn't occur to you that if he cancels a concert, he doesn't get paid for that concert?

This concert cancellation bellyaching has gotten to be enough already.

So since he was sick and canceled his tour, we should not pay for the album. That's amazing logic.

The message to Morrissey buy paying for his album and consider going for one of the bigger packages is this: make a great album and you'll be rewarded for it.

It doesn't occur to you that if he cancels a concert, he doesn't get paid for that concert?

This concert cancellation bellyaching has gotten to be enough already.

Thank you, I thought that was amazing logic also.

And no, "concert cancellation bellyaching" has NOT gotten to be enough already. "Concert cancellation" has gotten to be enough already. Yes, if what happened on the last tour was an isolated incident, that would be one thing. But look at how often this happens. Most of the people on this site have an enormous blind spot when it comes to this. It is possible to like an artist's music, and still be able to call that artist out on ridiculous behavior that is harming his career, as well as his credibility.

Thank you, I thought that was amazing logic also.

And no, "concert cancellation bellyaching" has NOT gotten to be enough already. "Concert cancellation" has gotten to be enough already. Yes, if what happened on the last tour was an isolated incident, that would be one thing. But look at how often this happens. Most of the people on this site have an enormous blind spot when it comes to this. It is possible to like an artist's music, and still be able to call that artist out on ridiculous behavior that is harming his career, as well as his credibility.

I'd rather have twenty more years of albums than ever see him live again.

Good music is worth paying for. What don't you understand about that?

Back
Top Bottom