. . . Just to read my diary

• Thread starter David T (a different one)
  • Start date
D

David T (a different one)

I posted this back as a comment on the "Boz with Sonny George in Atlanta" news, (as a comment on something else) where is was just a tiny bit off topic.

"It did strike me, when I read Severed Alliance, that Rogan might have had (unauthorised?) access to M's diary. If so, that would be quite a good reason to be pissed off with somebody, even if you weren't in any case a tiny bit of a primadonna.

I don't have the book to hand, but I vaguely recall Rogan referring to the lyric
"It lasted 20 years, 7 months, and 27 days " and glossing it with a comment which was something along the lines of "This was not a particularly important day. Morrissey spent the day at home reading the "Murderer's Who's Who"." (or something like that).

I remember wondering at the time how Rogan could know these details without either making a decent guess (i.e. making it up) or having access to some very personal material. I also wondered whether the lyric "you had to creep into my room/just to read my diary" was a reference to that.

For the record, M. has also denied keeping a diary.

Anyhow, just wondering."

> I posted this back as a comment on the "Boz with Sonny¿ George in Atlanta" news, (as a comment on something else)¿ where is was just a tiny bit off topic.¿ "It did strike me, when I read Severed Alliance, that Rogan¿ might have had (unauthorised?) access to M's diary. If so, that¿ would be quite a good reason to be pissed off with somebody,¿ even if you weren't in any case a tiny bit of a primadonna.¿ I don't have the book to hand, but I vaguely recall Rogan¿ referring to the lyric¿ "It lasted 20 years, 7 months, and 27 days " and¿ glossing it with a comment which was something along the lines¿ of "This was not a particularly important day. Morrissey¿ spent the day at home reading the "Murderer's Who's¿ Who"." (or something like that).¿ I remember wondering at the time how Rogan could know these¿ details without either making a decent guess (i.e. making it up)¿ or having access to some very personal material. I also wondered¿ whether the lyric "you had to creep into my room/just to¿ read my diary" was a reference to that.¿ For the record, M. has also denied keeping a diary.¿ Anyhow, just wondering."

Ofcourse he denies keeping a diary...if he said he did, if he said "I'm writing diary" people would break into his house and steal it...I mean, some people are really obsessed with the man...

> For the record, M. has also denied keeping a diary.

I remember reading an interview where the interviewer (harping on celibacy) said that at age 17 Morrissey had written in his diary 'I don't have sex much'. How would he know THAT?

If Rogan had access to Morrissey's personal papers, or somebody close to Moz was leaking extremely private info, I think Moz would have said something about it. It's more probable that Moz is correct in saying that Rogan lies and fabricates a fair bit.

Morrissey's such a good writer it would be fun if his diaries were published. If he has diaries to publish. He would burn them before he ever let us see them.

> I remember reading an interview where the interviewer (harping¿ on celibacy) said that at age 17 Morrissey had written in his¿ diary 'I don't have sex much'. How would he know THAT?

Yup. Good point. Although that is a pretty easy thing to make up, given that the man has gone on record a few times about that.¿ If Rogan had access to Morrissey's personal papers, or somebody¿ close to Moz was leaking extremely private info, I think Moz¿ would have said something about it. It's more probable that Moz¿ is correct in saying that Rogan lies and fabricates a fair bit.

But tiny and insignificant details about what one was reading on a particular day are very odd things to fabricate. Why bother?

I can imagine all sorts of good reasons why Moz might not have made a fuss about it. Who knows.

Page 85 of The Severed Alliance makes reference to an "epistolary diary." This means, of course, a diary of letters. It is more likely that Rogan was granted access to some of Morrissey's written correspondence by some of his past penpals. This is particularly believeable since Robert Mackie actually went on to publish a fanzine collecting Morrissey's letters to him and sold it to fans.
Does Morrissey keep a diary? Has anyone ever plundered it's contents? Anything's possible, but I don't believe it. Does Morrissey keep notebooks of poetry and song lyrics that he's inspired to write? Yes. He's admitted this. But has anyone ever seen or gotten to read these? I don't think so, and I don't think anyone ever will, either.

Back
Top Bottom