Just how much am I in the minority?

Vegan

I really prefer his Quarry and beyond albums to his early ones. Probably has a lot to do with his singing reaching another level. What kind of freak am I?

I really prefer his Quarry and beyond albums to his early ones. Probably has a lot to do with his singing reaching another level. What kind of freak am I?

That’s a bit freaky. How about his
vocal on Vauxhall? There was something special going on there with his delivery and Lillywhite’s capture of it is peak M for me, and yet to be beat. Joe Chiccarelli comes pretty close as far as showcasing his vocal goes.

Then again, enjoy want you want :)

Morrissey sounds like he had a cold when recording Vauxhall!

anyway, back to the first post, enjoy what you like. I personally rate dog in a chain as right up with his best, vauxhall as ok, viva hate still my fave.

Moreover, I think I've only ever listened to the song "Israel" about three times.

I agree his voice is better in the later works, and I tend to play this material more often as it's more 'fresh' and less familiar to me. The quality of the material from Quarry onwards however is very varied - from the sublime to the awful - so I'm not sure I can honestly say I prefer it.

I agree his voice is better in the later works, and I tend to play this material more often as it's more 'fresh' and less familiar to me. The quality of the material from Quarry onwards however is very varied - from the sublime to the awful - so I'm not sure I can honestly say I prefer it.
We can say the same, from the sublime to the awful (though personally I would never use the word "awful"), even from Viva Hate to Maladjusted.
I love modern Morrissey as well.

I’d say he was pretty consistently great or great-ish from Viva Hate up until Years of Refusal. After that, the decline in material has been nightmarish. But he is an amazing singer. He might be better than ever. But then again, Ket mentioned Vauxhall and it’s hard to argue that his voice wasn’t as great then as it is now.

I’d say he was pretty consistently great or great-ish from Viva Hate up until Years of Refusal. After that, the decline in material has been nightmarish. But he is an amazing singer. He might be better than ever. But then again, Ket mentioned Vauxhall and it’s hard to argue that his voice wasn’t as great then as it is now.
I agree with you - for me the consistency was up until ROT - Years of Refusal still had some great songs, but some not good ones and from then on the quality went down dramatically in my opinion - especially in terms of lyrics.

I see it the other way round. It may be, that he always wanted the freedom of having his voice recorded almost unfiltered and live (preferably first take) but this didn't always happen more stylishly under the wing of Chiccarrelli and the more effects and production work in the 90s often suited him better, IMHO. He must have had a cold after the February 02/95 tour when recording Southpaw but certainly not on Vauxhall, which remains the benchmark (in everything solo). Street, Nevin, Ronson, with some exceptions Visconti and especially Lillywhite, knew how to set the scene for him. I have already passed judgement on the others. I think the return to Chiccarelli is a very big mistake.

I grew up with ROTT & YATQ so they will always have a special place in my heart, similarly discovering maladjusted, which I oddly associate with the Lake District.

As far as development, he found his voice early on, sounding most confident by Queen Is. His tone was there, it’s just matured. Some singers are not so lucky, though lifestyle plays a big part. I just think Vauxhall is the first time on record where a producer really allows the listener to hear/feel the vocal. But I don’t think the production values on Southpaw and Maladjusted, both also by Lillywhite, are as good. Vauxhall just had some magic going on that has yet to be repeated again.

Some of the earlier Morrissey (solo) records / EPs are nearly peerless, in particular Vauxhall, YA and Bona Drag.
They mean the world to me, well almost.

I am probably in the minority here (with you) to really enjoy World Peace and Dog on a Chain. I like the strength and depth of his current voice and the fact his voice is clear and up front in the mix but I am not a fan of added special effects or corrections. I love the emotions expressed by his natural voice along with its imperfections.

Back
Top Bottom