iTunes, Morrissey and OS X users

Zenith Nadir

Senõr Member
I'm not sure if this should go into off topic, but I'll post it here and the mods can banish me to off topic if they so deem.

I have written an applescript to load all Morrissey and Smiths lyrics into my iTunes songs. I've done so for my own benefit, partly because I enjoy writing scripts and partly because I don't feel like cutting and pasting 250 times. However I am rather pleased with the way it has turned out, and I'm happy to share it with anyone else who wants it.

What makes my script different to the others out there is that it uses Passions database, so even the obscure songs are easy to find, and it imports the lyrics with Stéphane's corrections, neat layout and meticulous accuracy. You can only use it for Morrissey and Smiths tunes.

Basically you select a track in iTunes, call or play the script, and it asks you to match the song to Stephane's option. It does guess for you, but the manual confirmation is in case there are slight differences with your naming convention and his. (eg Spring-Heeled Jim or Springheeled Jim or Springheeled Jim live etc) I'd hate it to automatically decide for you and make errors.

If you'd like to give it a spin, you must be using OSX (I'd recommend 10.4, since that's what I've tested it on, but 10.3.9 will probably work too), you must be using iTunes (once again, I'm using 7.0.2) and it would be preferable if you know how to call an applescript from your script menu bar or run it from your desktop.

Drop me a PM if you would like a copy of the script. I'll also try to post up some snapshots.

Here are some snapshots...

01.jpg

2. Run the applescript.

03.jpg

04.jpg

Nerd!

Just kidding. Nice work. Automator has been blowing my mind lately. Applescripts I find a bit too noodley.

:D

Viva Mac!

Sent out to those who have requested and PM'd me.

Automator has been blowing my mind lately. Applescripts I find a bit too noodley.

Yes, automator is a very cool indeedy, but the main difference between automator and applescript is that applescript can make intelligent decisions. You can solve a lot of stuff without knowing full on programming languages.

If you haven't dabbled in applescript (not sure from your answer?) then set aside a Saturday and read this:
http://www.applescriptsourcebook.com/viewtopic.php?id=17556

You'll thank me!

Back
Top Bottom