Is this autograph authentic?

Picture please.

OK I'll try, but the ink is very faded so might not show up too well on a picture. It's a 12" vinyl signed by the four Smiths. The Morrissey signature was the same style as yours, which I presume was from the '80s?

OK I'll try, but the ink is very faded so might not show up too well on a picture. It's a 12" vinyl signed by the four Smiths. The Morrissey signature was the same style as yours, which I presume was from the '80s?

That Bigmouth 12" was signed by Moz at the time of release. It was done for promotional purposes, much in the same way as TQID LP was signed in gold at around the same time.

That Bigmouth 12" was signed by Moz at the time of release. It was done for promotional purposes, much in the same way as TQID LP was signed in gold at around the same time.

The 12" vinyl I referred to is That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. After 25 years or so the ink has faded as expected, but it was written in ordinary ballpoint so doesn't show up well on photo's anyways. Here's a couple of pics. I can't get a decent angle to show the Morrissey autograph as it appears in real life, as reflections seem to blank out all half-decent angles

The sticker
DSC04601.JPG

Faded / reflection
DSC04600.JPG

The back
DSC04605.jpg

The 12" vinyl I referred to is That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. After 25 years or so the ink has faded as expected, but it was written in ordinary ballpoint so doesn't show up well on photo's anyways.

Sorry, yes.
I was just responding to your half question 'which I presume was from the '80s?'
Saying that both Bigmouth and TQID were signed in the '80s to promote their respective releases.

Yours is genuine too by the way, but I am sure you already knew that. :)
Did you obtain the autographs in person by any chance?

Sorry, yes.
I was just responding to your half question 'which I presume was from the '80s?'
Saying that both Bigmouth and TQID were signed in the '80s to promote their respective releases.

Yours is genuine too by the way, but I am sure you already knew that. :)
Did you obtain the autographs in person by any chance?

No I didn't get that one in person, but I did acquire it in the '80s, so I've personally watch it fade over the years ;)

I got this one in person a few weeks ago

dsc04424o.jpg

^^^ Cool.
Johnny is such a good sport, he also signed my Bigmouth 12" at the Deaf Institute in October 2011. A really nice chap.
These signatures will never fade though, they are on display behind anti-UV glass. :)
This one really is my pride and joy...

Excellent. Presume that's of the promo stock you spoke of earlier?

Johnny's usually cool, but not always

Excellent. Presume that's of the promo stock you spoke of earlier?

Johnny's usually cool, but not always

Yes, it is that promo, the same one billybu69 owns a copy of. Someone was doubting the authenticity of that signature, clearly without knowing what they are talking about.

As for Johnny, I am just going by the only interaction I ever had with him, he was charm personified.
They say never meet your heroes, well, he certainly flies in the face of that widely supported viewpoint.
One of the most memorable nights of my life, meeting Johnny, having a brief chat with him and getting his signature on my Bigmouth 12". :)
I've never met Moz, but I have this horrible feeling he might not be quite as cool in person.

"I've never met Moz, but I have this horrible feeling he might not be quite as cool in person."

The good news for you is that you could not be more wrong! I have meet him loads of times (more than I have fingers and toes) and he has ALWAYS been his Amazing witty self. You would walk away on cloud 10 if you meet him. He is never in a bad mood and is always interested in what you have to say. I don't know how he still cares about what the fans have to say but he does. It's just harder these days to get some time alone. He used to stop all the time and chat and sign but that seems to have diminshed.

Johnny is amazing and very cool! Not like meeting Moz but almost as good. Johnny once gave me a ride around his home town...amazing story I can tell if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
"I've never met Moz, but I have this horrible feeling he might not be quite as cool in person."

The good news for you is that you could not be more wrong! I have meet him loads of times (more than I have fingers and toes) and he has ALWAYS been his Amazing witty self. You would walk away on cloud 10 if you meet him. He is never in a bad mood and is always interested in what you have to say. I don't know how he still cares about what the fans have to say but he does. It's just harder these days to get some time alone. He used to stop all the time and chat and sign but that seems to have diminshed.

Johnny is amazing and very cool! Not like meeting Moz but almost as good. Johnny once gave me a ride around his home town...amazing story I can tell if anyone is interested.

Good to know Moz is approachable, thank you.
Look forward to meeting him one day then, perhaps in the future when...
Go on, do tell us your Johnny story.

So you are saying it's impossible for anyone to accurately forge Morrissey's signature? I'm sorry - but you are deluding yourself. You do know there are professional forgers out there, right? Yes, most of the fakes are easy to spot, but just because #most# of the forgers are lazy doesn't mean it's impossible for people who know what they are doing to accurately copy Morrissey's genuine signature to a level of detail that he himself couldn't spot the difference. It takes a bit of practice, but to say its impossible for anyone to accurately forge signatures is loony. So again, unless you know for sure where it came from - it's a complete random punt - you can never say with 100% confidence that it's genuine - so why pay good money for it?

I'm saying that nobody can 100% accurately forge a person's usual signature. This is 100% true, there is always something that gives the game away. Where there is a grey area is that sometimes a person can't be arsed to sign their usual way, either because they can't be arsed or say they realise that the autograph is going to be sold. Without doubt these autographs cause confusion but if you want to take a person's usual autograph - for example every autograph that Morrissey signed on his promotional re-issues - if you see any autograph of this kind they're real, not so much that we know where they've come from, more that every part of them is consistent and there is nothing left to doubt. Further to that there are other kinds of autographs - secretarial, autopenned and printed which are also deliberated made to mislead and fool and yet they're often unearthed as what they are. It's only once you enter the world of rushed and varied autographs that you have to be there to know if they're real or not.

I've worked for years in this game and I think I have enough experience and knowledge to know I'm not deluding myself or loony or anything else that you imply. It's just that I've spent hours, weeks, months, years learning about the subject rather than spouting opinion off the top of my head on an Internet forum.

Tags
autograph
Back
Top Bottom