Is Malajusted Morrisseys worst album?

Peterb

As this was the album that immediately preceeded his period of inactivity it has recieved a lot of critisism. I got my copy from a remianders bin. For me it is a fine album with many wonderous tracks. I certainly prefer it Southpaw and Years of Refusal.

As this was the album that immediately preceeded his period of inactivity it has recieved a lot of critisism. I got my copy from a remianders bin. For me it is a fine album with many wonderous tracks. I certainly prefer it Southpaw and Years of Refusal.

I truefully like this album. It's not one onf my fav but it's not the worst, IMO.
I cant stand Kill Uncle which one has the worst production ever...

I like it a lot. There are quite a few tracks I love (Wide to Receive, Trouble Loves Me, Maladjusted, He Cried) and only a couple I don't (Roy's Keen and Papa Jack). As an album, I prefer it to Southpaw which I found a bit distant. Morrissey's appeal (for me, anyway) is his intimacy with his audience and I felt Southpaw lacked that -- I suppose it's hard to be intimate and bombastic at the same time, so fair enough. Only on the "the girl of your dreams" line did I feel any 'closeness'. With Maladjusted the intimacy returned and with the likes of Wide to Recieve, he was really 'in the room' (and particularly on the b-sides, The Edges are No Longer Parallel and Lost).

Southpaw I enjoy whenever I listen to it (maybe five or six times a year) but I never feel any real urge to root it out and put it on. I usually stumble across it and think, "Oh well, why not?".

I listen to "Maladjusted" more than I listen to "Viva Hate," if that's any indication for me. I listen to "Kill Uncle" even more than that.

"Trouble Loves Me" is the only standout track (and "Lost" if you count the remaster). Other than that, I never listen to it.

No. It's a mixed bag of an album with an oddly murky production from the period where Morrissey freely admits he lost his focus. There were so many good songs swirling around at the time, but lots of them were relegated to b-sides or else left unreleased altogether. "Maladjusted" and "Trouble Loves Me" are truly great and there are some interesting moments on there like "Wide To Receive" and "Ammunition". It's easily better than Kill Uncle and (if you include "Lost", "Edges", "I Can Have Both", etc.) it's better than Southpaw too.

No, it isn't. "Kill Uncle" is the worst. "Maladjusted" is right above it on the list, though.

Re: Is Malajusted Morrisseys worst album? No!!

"Trouble Loves Me" is the only standout track (and "Lost" if you count the remaster). Other than that, I never listen to it.

:eek:

Title track is really great.
Personally I prefer Maladjusted than YATQ.

Re: Is Malajusted Morrisseys worst album? No!!

I loved Maladjusted. It was unfairly neglected upon its release, and although there is some love for it shown here, it remains underrated compared to Your Arsenal and even You Are The Quarry amongst critics and fans. Including the b-sides, I believe it has some of the best songs of Morrissey's solo career. Roy's Keen, Maladjusted, Ammunition, He Cried, Alma Matters, and Satan Rejected My Soul are standouts to me musically and "Trouble Loves Me" has beautiful, revealing lyrics. And even the b-sides were on par; The Edges are No longer Parallel, Lost and I Can Have Both are no less than important. Maladjusted was prime Morrissey, as imperfect as it can be.

No. It's a mixed bag of an album with an oddly murky production from the period where Morrissey freely admits he lost his focus. There were so many good songs swirling around at the time, but lots of them were relegated to b-sides or else left unreleased altogether. "Maladjusted" and "Trouble Loves Me" are truly great and there are some interesting moments on there like "Wide To Receive" and "Ammunition". It's easily better than Kill Uncle and (if you include "Lost", "Edges", "I Can Have Both", etc.) it's better than Southpaw too.

I've never understood the majority's fascination with these tracks. I've always personally thought them very bland, I was happy that they were not on the original tracklisting.

I like it a lot. There are quite a few tracks I love (Wide to Receive, Trouble Loves Me, Maladjusted, He Cried) and only a couple I don't (Roy's Keen and Papa Jack). As an album, I prefer it to Southpaw which I found a bit distant. Morrissey's appeal (for me, anyway) is his intimacy with his audience and I felt Southpaw lacked that -- I suppose it's hard to be intimate and bombastic at the same time, so fair enough. Only on the "the girl of your dreams" line did I feel any 'closeness'. With Maladjusted the intimacy returned and with the likes of Wide to Recieve, he was really 'in the room' (and particularly on the b-sides, The Edges are No Longer Parallel and Lost).

Southpaw I enjoy whenever I listen to it (maybe five or six times a year) but I never feel any real urge to root it out and put it on. I usually stumble across it and think, "Oh well, why not?".

I also love Maladjusted for its 'intimacy', as you said, I feel it very close to my heart. Maladjusted, Trouble loves me, Alma matters and Wide to receive are some of my favourite solo songs. I think it's an album full of pain and dignity (except for Sorrow will come, which is maybe the opposite of dignity, but it's ok, because it's Morrissey...). And I agree the b-sides of Maladjusted period ere maybe his best ones.

I think Maladjusted is a great album, Papa Jack included & I think it's improved with age. Though if it had not had He Cried on it & had Lost or I Can Have Both instead, it would have been better.

As the years go by it's Your Arsenal that tends to leave me cold these days.

I think so. The production is dull, as are the tunes. I rarely listen to it, and struggle when I do.

N.B.: I'm not a vinyl snob --

I bought the vinyl 2 months ago and played it to see if it sounded any different than the CD with digital fades and overall unappealing production choices that I purchased in 97. It did. A lot. And now I find this album indispensable, amazing, fun and pretty rocking. I haven't got the remastered/rereleased/reinvisioned CD but I hope it comes closer to what the 12" antique is.

Maladjusted is a very good CD. Alma Matters just soars. I have never heard the B side tracks mentioned on here but they would have to be real good songs to replace any on this album. The only one I am not really keen on is "Sorrow Will Come in the End". It reminds me of thuggish rap songs I hear. I just find it hard to see Morrissey in that context. Makes me smile to think about it ! ;)

When I first heard it I thought it sucked but it's grown on me a lot over time. Some real classics on there; Trouble Loves Me, Wide To Receive, Alma Matters. Yes, some of the B-Sides were as good as the album tracks, too.

Worst album.. Kill Uncle? Or Southpaw. I think.

The Edges are No longer Parallel, Lost and I Can Have Both are no less than important.

I agree, and in my view Now I Am A Was deserves to be considered among this exalted company.

Last edited:
I agree, and in my view Now I Am A Was deserves to be considered among this exalted company.

Now I Am A Was is a funny little song. Without remotely feeling anything like a masterpiece, I really like it.

It could have made for a nice throwaway coda tucked away at the end of the album, a cheery goodbye before the onset of the pre-Quarry wilderness years...

Back
Top Bottom