introduction?

marrpilled

barbarism begins at home y'know?
hii, obnoxiously obsessed with the smiths or more broadly any rock music from the 60's - 80's that all members of the bands have already left. Big into spending all my disposable (or not) income on posters or records (that i wont listen too just because the covers are pretty). Also currently trying to hype myself into reading morrissey's autobiography. :bow:

Attachments

• 6ffe8874a8bdda7f3f0a7fe1e2a552ba.jpg
    6ffe8874a8bdda7f3f0a7fe1e2a552ba.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
hii, obnoxiously obsessed with the smiths or more broadly any rock music from the 60's - 80's that all members of the bands have already left. Big into spending all my disposable (or not) income on posters or records (that i wont listen too just because the covers are pretty). Also currently trying to hype myself into reading morrissey's autobiography. :bow:
autobiography is a good read for two thirds then the last third is like a tour diary,welcome to the site,60s-80s is right up my street music wise.

autobiography is a good read for two thirds then the last third is like a tour diary,welcome to the site,60s-80s is right up my street music wise.
i started skimming through just to see his takes on smiths trivia atp (worth it) - what genre/bands are you into?

i started skimming through just to see his takes on smiths trivia atp (worth it) - what genre/bands are you into?
a bit of everything and anything,rap is a no go area for me,apart from that i will listen to most things.

Just to share my take on the autobiography. I knew so little about Morrissey that I hadn't realised 1) that he was in The Smiths and 2) that The Smiths were responsible for three songs that I liked. Last year I came upon one of Morrissey's covers on You Tube and I listened because I had liked the original version. In the space of 36 hours I saw the light and realised that he had made some gorgeous music. So puzzled was I at having missed out on this music (The Smiths even performed at my university months after I'd finished) that I ordered the autobiography from the library. I had remembered the fuss about the autobiography. When I collected it the staff were very excited, saying they hadn't realised he'd written an autobiography (that was nothing compared to the excitement when I went to collect Alone and Palely Loitering!). So I felt I had to read it quickly in case they reserved it.

In some respects I found the first half heavy-going. My intention had been to find out more about him and solve the mystery of why I discovered him so late. The first half seemed so miserable in many respects, but because I was brought up in the north west around the same time and went to catholic schools there was much I could relate to. The cultural references brought back many memories.

At the halfway point I burst out laughing and continued to do so for several pages. Possibly I hadn't understood the tone and I knew I must read it again (but not yet!). So I stayed up till 5 am in order to finish it. People assess that the court case about The Smiths' royalties took up 50 pages and I believe them, but I am talking perceptions here and it seemed longer. Then there were the amusing but unkind observations about people he'd met. Plus the snippets about the music scene, which temporarily brought back my excitement (long gone) about pop music and its sources and gossip. It made me think how sad it is that these young stars are so skilled at the music and know so little about business and real life, but maybe it is better 40 years on.

I thought the autobiography would tell me a lot about him, but it didn't. It told me about what was around him. I think if you are already familiar with his music and persona then it adds to that.

But I did hand in my notice at work two weeks later, having seen the risks he was prepared to take! (It was really no risk for me). I will thank him if I ever meet him!

My memory is: first half misery, a quarter about a court case and another quarter slagging off everyone he's ever met! I did read it again, but still too soon and hurried. Can I face a third time?

Just to share my take on the autobiography. I knew so little about Morrissey that I hadn't realised 1) that he was in The Smiths and 2) that The Smiths were responsible for three songs that I liked. Last year I came upon one of Morrissey's covers on You Tube and I listened because I had liked the original version. In the space of 36 hours I saw the light and realised that he had made some gorgeous music. So puzzled was I at having missed out on this music (The Smiths even performed at my university months after I'd finished) that I ordered the autobiography from the library. I had remembered the fuss about the autobiography. When I collected it the staff were very excited, saying they hadn't realised he'd written an autobiography (that was nothing compared to the excitement when I went to collect Alone and Palely Loitering!). So I felt I had to read it quickly in case they reserved it.

In some respects I found the first half heavy-going. My intention had been to find out more about him and solve the mystery of why I discovered him so late. The first half seemed so miserable in many respects, but because I was brought up in the north west around the same time and went to catholic schools there was much I could relate to. The cultural references brought back many memories.

At the halfway point I burst out laughing and continued to do so for several pages. Possibly I hadn't understood the tone and I knew I must read it again (but not yet!). So I stayed up till 5 am in order to finish it. People assess that the court case about The Smiths' royalties took up 50 pages and I believe them, but I am talking perceptions here and it seemed longer. Then there were the amusing but unkind observations about people he'd met. Plus the snippets about the music scene, which temporarily brought back my excitement (long gone) about pop music and its sources and gossip. It made me think how sad it is that these young stars are so skilled at the music and know so little about business and real life, but maybe it is better 40 years on.

I thought the autobiography would tell me a lot about him, but it didn't. It told me about what was around him. I think if you are already familiar with his music and persona then it adds to that.

But I did hand in my notice at work two weeks later, having seen the risks he was prepared to take! (It was really no risk for me). I will thank him if I ever meet him!

My memory is: first half misery, a quarter about a court case and another quarter slagging off everyone he's ever met! I did read it again, but still too soon and hurried. Can I face a third time?
the biography is actually one of the last things that i am reading on the smiths/morrissey is general (considering it was one of your opening things i like your perspective on it), honestly yeah - he really does go into slagging off everybody (which im ngl is quite entertaining i find since most autobiographys seem to be filled with indirect thankyou speeches to people).

About your point on 'young popstars not seeming to know a lot about buisness & real life' i see that, even now tbh i think that anybody with that level of success that has carried on from early in their life are bound to be out of touch with it, or wont bother to educate themselves on the matter since it seems mostly irrelevant to their lifestyle - Morrissey looks like he is slightly an exception on some fronts (either that or he just analyses & rambles about mundane things in life so much - especially at the beginning of his autobiography - that i've been tricked into believing that :skull: ).
If you are looking for some more things about him rather than what surrounds him, digging through all the letters he wrote when he was younger would definitely be a start).

Tags
fans introduction
Back
Top Bottom