Hey People from New Jersey

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
Mindless and others,

I don't know if you're into birds or not, but you should make your way over to the Barnegat Lighthouse State Park and look at the Harlequin Duck who hangs out there in the winter.

Harlequin-DuckC8598.jpg

It's a duck that wears an orca mask. So cool, like a killer whale that can fly...and happens to be a duck. :p

Orca%20whale.jpg

Are they rare in this area? One or a pair?

Are they rare in this area? One or a pair?

Ummm, based on this birding magazine I'm reading, I'm lead to believe that they flock there for the winter. There will most likely be a lot of them, but yes, they mate for life in pairs so there will be a lot of couples. :p

They are rather rare. From wikipedia:

The Harlequin Duck, Histrionicus histrionicus, is a small sea duck. In North America it is also known as Lords and ladies. Other names include painted duck, totem pole duck, rock duck, glacier duck, mountain duck, white-eyed diver, squeaker and blue streak.

Adult males are slate blue with chestnut sides and white markings including a white crescent at the base of the bill. Adult females are less colourful, with brownish-grey plumage and a white patch on the head around the eye. Both adults have a white ear patch.

Their breeding habitat is cold fast moving streams in north-western and north-eastern North America, Greenland, Iceland and western Russia. The nest is usually located in a well-concealed location on the ground near a stream. They are usually found near pounding surf and white water.

They are short distance migrants and most winter near rocky shorelines on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. They are very rare migrants to western Europe.

These birds feed by swimming under water or diving. They also dabble. They eat molluscs, crustaceans and insects. Harlequins have smooth, densely packed feathers that trap a lot of air within them. This is vital for insulating such small bodies against the chilly waters they ply. It also makes them exceptionally buoyant, making them bounce like corks after dives.

The eastern North American population is declining and is considered endangered. Possible causes include loss of habitat due to hydroelectric projects and loss of life due to oil spills near coastal areas.

Today, this is the only species of its genus. Two prehistoric harlequin ducks were described from fossils, although both were initially placed in a distinct genus: Histrionicus shotwelli is known from Middle to Late Miocene deposits of Oregon, USA and was considered to form a distinct monotypic genus, Ocyplonessa. Histrionicus ceruttii, which lived in California during the Late Pliocene, was at first taken to be a species of the related genus Melanitta.

The Harlequin Duck takes its name from Arlecchino, Harlequin in French, a colourfully dressed character in Commedia dell'arte. The species name comes from the Latin word "histrio", "actor".

Sweeet! Me and MR are totally gonna by two. So there can be babies. Hells yeah!

Sweeet! Me and MR are totally gonna by two. So there can be babies. Hells yeah!

Dude, are you like a faux troll? Because you say really dumb stuff like you're trying too hard.

Ummm, based on this birding magazine I'm reading, I'm lead to believe that they flock there for the winter. There will most likely be a lot of them, but yes, they mate for life in pairs so there will be a lot of couples. :p

Cool....might have to check it out. I've been wanting to go bald eagle watching.....supposedly you can see them upstate by NY border.

Cool....might have to check it out. I've been wanting to go bald eagle watching.....supposedly you can see them upstate by NY border.

Do it, make a day of it. Good stuff happens to people who go to observe nature. Not kidding.

Nah. She's my RL biffle. She said this when we were in the car together and legit were talking about how we wanted to buy 2 and mate them.

Don't be mean, CG :(

Okay I won't. It just seemed odd that her first few posts were all hating on people and while we bicker here, we're like a disfunctional family stuck at the dinner table for months, we don't hate each other. Not at least until after a 1000 posts. :p I was being suspicious, I'll be nice. Sorry Rachel.

Rachel means lamb. :sweet:

Okay I won't. It just seemed odd that her first few posts were all hating on people and while we bicker here, we're like a disfunctional family stuck at the dinner table for months, we don't hate each other. Not at least until after a 1000 posts. :p I was being suspicious, I'll be nice. Sorry Rachel.

Rachel means lamb. :sweet:

She wasn't hating. We kind of just talk to people like that around here:lbf:. Anywho, gotta get dressed as she is coming to pick me up in a few.

She wasn't hating. We kind of just talk to people like that around here:lbf:. Anywho, gotta get dressed as she is coming to pick me up in a few.

Okay, well tell her that saying you don't agree with something you didn't even read is retarded logic. And tell her hello.

Back
Top Bottom