Have you ever written a (fan) letter to morrissey?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date

have you ever written a (fan) letter to morrissey?

• never ever

• yes, once (upon a time)

• yeah, a couple of times

• yo, many times

• yes, sir, every single fuc*kin day

• a few years ago

• not so long ago

• recently

• not yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 25370

ps: you have two votes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did, but he didn't respond. which was disappointing because we had a lot on the agenda to discuss. I didn't include a sase which may be the reason but I was operating under the belief that he would realize right away how sympatico we are and not mind forking out for a stamp. perhaps my presumptuousness offended him.

I think he would like reading the letters but not replying to the letters.

I have never ever written a fan letter to anyone. I am a lover not a writer. ;)

Anything I would write to Moz would be too trite for words.

Best bet is fax?

Nope and nope. Maybe if it was the early days and I thought he might read it or appreciate it

But when you tell him in person all of the things that everyone's told him, he still nods and smiles. He looks genuinely invested and genuinely happy to hear it still after all these years. It could be that he's a better actor than he says, but when you're gurgling and stuttering at him, it feels like he's really listening and doesn't have anywhere to be but there.
I purposely avoided details because it may've been the most embarrassing day of my life, but still it was really nice.

I have. A couple of times. I write a letter before a show to hand to him, but I've never given a single one to him. I just can't for some reason. It's like what can I say that he hasn't heard a million times already?

I think the day I held his hand (for what seemed like a very long time) and just looked him in the eyes (with tears in mine) while smiling told him what he means to me, without uttering a word. He just smiled back so sweetly. I will never forget that moment as long as I live!

I have never ever written a fan letter to anyone. I am a lover not a writer. ;)

Anything I would write to Moz would be too trite for words.
that's interesting, evennow. do you think that the lover has already found what the writer is still looking for?

Yes. Many years ago. Perhaps 1996. Sent to his Management copy at the time. I can't really remember what I said but I'm sure you can guess.....
I love you... help me I'm drowning....I think your smashing by the way, really smashing.....Isn't the world cruel... went I first heard "Nobody loves us" my knees buckled.... is that normal?...Did I mentioned I love you.... send help.
....that kind of thing.

Astonishingly he replied about 4 months later. The letter was sent from LA. He basically wrote a short note thanking me for my letter. It was "very Morrissey" in tone and was written on a computer and printed out and signed at the bottom. It came in a handwritten envelope with Aztec prints on it and Malcolm X stamps. I've mentioned it here before in other threads.

".......In your letter you signed off "keep smiling" I wasn't aware I'd started....Anyway.....Thank you....MORRISSEY."

needless to say I treasured it and it lifted my spirits immeasurably.

I've only ever written one fan letter in my life, and that was to Punky Brewster when I was 7 or 8. I got a signed 8x10 in the mail, and a short typed letter.
Kind of wish I still had it, but a lot gets lost in life. I also had to write a letter to a living ex President for a school project, and I chose Richard Nixon. He did not respond.

i see that appr. 50% haven't written a letter to morrissey. The majority of the other 50% have done so more than just once, with one person even writing a letter every single day, which is amazin, if you think about it. seems that as a morrissey follower/fan you either decide not to write at all or many times, so if you go for it, it's almost never just a one-letter-affair. can this be explained or is this unequal dispersion of votes just a random thing? has addiction or obsession something to do with it?

i see that appr. 50% haven't written a letter to morrissey. The majority of the other 50% have done so more than just once, with one person even writing a letter every single day, which is amazin, if you think about it. seems that as a morrissey follower/fan you either decide not to write at all or many times, so if you go for it, it's almost never just a one-letter-affair. can this be explained or is this unequal dispersion of votes just a random thing? has addiction or obsession something to do with it?

Well I think it has to do with a lot of factors. Age maybe as many people in my generation don’t often or have never written a letter for anything and it’s just an unfamiliar concept. Similar to that I think it also has something g to do with when you became a fan as it just isn’t as much a phenomenon to write fan letters like it was in the sixties and seventies. Now people will try and tweet or post on there facebook page or even an official artist forum etc and hope it gets seen retweeted or replied to

Well I think it has to do with a lot of factors. Age maybe as many people in my generation don’t often or have never written a letter for anything and it’s just an unfamiliar concept. Similar to that I think it also has something g to do with when you became a fan as it just isn’t as much a phenomenon to write fan letters like it was in the sixties and seventies. Now people will try and tweet or post on there facebook page or even an official artist forum etc and hope it gets seen retweeted or replied to
yeah, times have changed. it's not as risky as it once was, at least not for adults who know the dangers of social media. but i think there has also been a loss of trust in institutions that artists work for, that's why people prefer not to send private letters there.

I never have, but a poster here (Mal) did and got some fabulous postcard replies in '84, '85. They were the real deal, I've seen'em. :guitar:

Posted here some years ago.

I never have, but a poster here (Mal) did and got some fabulous postcard replies in '84, '85. They were the real deal, I've seen'em. :guitar:

Posted here some years ago.
thanks for the link, but did s/he ask morrissey's permission before posting them online?

thanks for the link, but did s/he ask morrissey's permission before posting them online?

Would you ask permission to post an inoffensive fan postcard online, 20 years after the fact? If you did, would you expect modern-era Moz to reply to you?
Of course not.

PS. Do you think Morrissey asked Johnny Marr for permission to quote his deeply private letters from the mid-90s, reproduced in full in Autobiog?

Back
Top Bottom