Have Morrissey's recent political statements affected your appreciation of his music?

Have Morrissey's recent political statements affected your appreciation of his music?

• No, I still love his music as much as ever before

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Yes, I still love his music but slightly less than I used to

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Yes, I find it harder and harder to listen to the music

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Yes, I've sold all my Moz-records and/or deleted his songs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm c***skinny and always knew he was a racist/fascist so why would I listen to any of his music

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is nothing freethinking about repeating political views whether right or left. There is nothing individual about saying that you never vote but then pushing politics. That's more lazy and self indulgent than anything. Don't we all know someone that loves to have a few drinks and listen to themselves talk?

And he may gain some new right wing fans. Until they actually listen to the music.
Nowadays saying you support anything other than the norm is a massively rebellious thing to do. It's an outrageous and offensive thing to do. Hence all the hullabaloo. It shouldn't be but it is. Also, I doubt he'll gain much right wing fans as he isn't right wing and nor is the party he supports. He's critical of Islam yes. But so would Karl Marx be if he were alive today. In fact Marx would want Islam abolished. Religion is the opium of the masses. Does that make Marx right wing too?

Great post, but how about songs like Ambitious Outsiders or Sorrow Will Come in the End, or Margaret on the Guillotine, Bengali in Platforms? They are/were pretty unpleasant/offensive too but no one seemed to mind back then, certainly not the fans/anyone on this website.
Anyway, interesting to see that a good 70 % are not affected by his latest political outspokenness as I think it should be. I don't agree with his politics, just like I never agreed on his 'militant vegetarianism', but it certainly has never diminished my love of the music. To me those things should (and can easily) be seperated. You just wouldn't think so reading all the bully's/trolls' comments on the main page :crazy:

True, he has always been offensive, and it's always been part of the charm. He's always been overly dramatic too, so we can understand that Ambitious Outsiders is written from a character's point of view, that he doesn't really want to slit anyone's throat or have the Prime Minister sentenced to death etc. I can understand why some might find Bengali in Platforms problematic, but I always found that song generally quite sympathetic to the 'Bengali'; if anything, I thought he was attacking the British way of life. Just my interpretation though, which is my point - I guess he's always said just enough to make you think what you want to think, without chaining himself to any one particular idea (apart from the obvious vegetarianism/republicanism etc). I actually really like how he embraces writing about difficult subjects, and doesn't shy away from writing about some of the uglier aspects to human emotions that most other artists would. But he has, for the most part, always been quite clever about it.

Leaving aside the racism accusations and the actual nature of For Britain, I think his actual endorsement of a political party in general is counterproductive for him as an artist. I'd have thought the same if it were the Greens, or the Tories, or Labour. As far as I know, he's never previously done this. I don't think he even expressed support for Labour in the 80's, did he? Part of the great mystery around Morrissey is his ambiguity. How can he be so open about things in his lyrics and yet still be an enigma? Is he gay or straight? Left or right? He always flirts and teases with these sorts of questions without ever revealing the answers. Or if he does, introduces another contradiction. And that's what was always great about him. Actually coming out in favour of one particular party is always a bad move for an artist, in my opinion, especially someone like Morrissey.

I'm half hoping he now denounces For Britain in a crazy rant, quotes from the Communist Manifesto, and says something complimentary about Vince Cable in his next post. That would muddy the waters quite nicely again!

Nowadays saying you support anything other than the norm is a massively rebellious thing to do. It's an outrageous and offensive thing to do. Hence all the hullabaloo. It shouldn't be but it is. Also, I doubt he'll gain much right wing fans as he isn't right wing and nor is the party he supports. He's critical of Islam yes. But so would Karl Marx be if he were alive today. In fact Marx would want Islam abolished. Religion is the opium of the masses. Does that make Marx right wing too?

You're really pushing this Karl Marx thing as if the problem with Islam is that it's a religion. I didn't realize you were a Marxist. Because if you're not, which... you know, you're not... then that means you think you've come up with a clever argument. I'm not sure who it's supposed to appeal to exactly. It's almost as if you're thinking "against racism" = "left wing" = "Marxist" and thinking that you've really come up with a bulletproof argument. The quote was "opiate" and not "opium." I don't mean to be picky but if you're going to post this so many times you should get the details right.
Anyway, am I supposed to choke on my toast and say, "He's got me! I LOVE Karl Marx so much and wow I don't know how I could have missed this OBVIOUS deduction!"
Do you feel the same way about Catholicism and Christianity? I think I remember you agreeing with vegan.cro that we "need a good religion to destroy the bad one" or something along those lines.

You're really pushing this Karl Marx thing as if the problem with Islam is that it's a religion. I didn't realize you were a Marxist. Because if you're not, which... you know, you're not... then that means you think you've come up with a clever argument. I'm not sure who it's supposed to appeal to exactly. It's almost as if you're thinking "against racism" = "left wing" = "Marxist" and thinking that you've really come up with a bulletproof argument. The quote was "opiate" and not "opium." I don't mean to be picky but if you're going to post this so many times you should get the details right.
Anyway, am I supposed to choke on my toast and say, "He's got me! I LOVE Karl Marx so much and wow I don't know how I could have missed this OBVIOUS deduction!"
Do you feel the same way about Catholicism and Christianity? I think I remember you agreeing with vegan.cro that we "need a good religion to destroy the bad one" or something along those lines.

It is interesting the whole idea of religion. I have always believed religion, in general, really took shape when common, poor people rose up in a fervor against land barons who were living a sumptuous life off their toils and labor. Afraid the rich would be stripped of all their trappings, religion was introduced to satiate the needs of the common man for a promise of some fictitious reward that would come to them in the next world if they led a "just and righteous life."

Don't kill (especially me) because you will end up in hell. Instead keep your head down, follow the "scriptures", "Quran", whatever and you will end up in heaven or with 72 virgins. And it worked!

Religiousness is divisive in and of itself. Religions are simply clicks or clans designed to promote the beliefs of the believers and castigate those who "fail to see the truth." The truth...ha! No one knows the truth. Believe in what you want, but the only one, true religion is that of humanity as a whole. That I can believe in. Promote the good of all and we all as a global tribe benefit. John Lennon was right on the Marx...I mean mark!

The Marx thing is simply something to think about, you know: What is really left or right nowadays - it's getting more complex. I'm not trying to win an argument... and opiates, opium - same thing no?
Also, I'm neither left nor right. I'm a freethinker. I form my opinions from the evidence I see around me. Marx has said some good things, some bad IMO.
And Catholicism in the UK (I was brought up one) is let's face it, a much more chilled religion than Islam.

Moz is a song and dance man to me. As a bonus he cares more about animals than most of you selfish wastes of carbon (despite occasionally hypocrisy) so he's allowed (aloud too) to have a political opinion. About the only thing that would push me away is if he started supporting the blithering idiot current POTUS.

Moz is a song and dance man to me. As a bonus he cares more about animals than most of you selfish wastes of carbon (despite occasionally hypocrisy) so he's allowed (aloud too) to have a political opinion. About the only thing that would push me away is if he started supporting the blithering idiot current POTUS.

Imagine your idot and ramp him up a bit, that's what he's supporting.

I was a musician in working bands for decades. In my most successful band the singer was an absolute c***: not that bright, unable to speak coherently, and an insecure egomaniac to boot. I couldn't stand him personally.

But: he was a wonderful lyricist and songwriter. His creative mind was nuanced and beautiful. It was a pleasure to make music with him.

That's how I approach Morrissey: he is a creative genius. His best work is astonishingly sensitive, smart and elegant. The fact that he's now an aggressively pathetic clod does not take away from his best work; that part of his mind will always be beautiful to me.

Whenever his name comes up IRL there's always a shaking of heads, and a sad acknowledgement that the once mighty have indeed fallen.

It is interesting the whole idea of religion. I have always believed religion, in general, really took shape when common, poor people rose up in a fervor against land barons who were living a sumptuous life off their toils and labor. Afraid the rich would be stripped of all their trappings, religion was introduced to satiate the needs of the common man for a promise of some fictitious reward that would come to them in the next world if they led a "just and righteous life."

Don't kill (especially me) because you will end up in hell. Instead keep your head down, follow the "scriptures", "Quran", whatever and you will end up in heaven or with 72 virgins. And it worked!

Religiousness is divisive in and of itself. Religions are simply clicks or clans designed to promote the beliefs of the believers and castigate those who "fail to see the truth." The truth...ha! No one knows the truth. Believe in what you want, but the only one, true religion is that of humanity as a whole. That I can believe in. Promote the good of all and we all as a global tribe benefit. John Lennon was right on the Marx...I mean mark!

I’ve always seen it rather as a way of coping with the hellish existence many people lived. As a way of getting by through famine illness injustice. Suffer this temporary but nessesary fate and you’ll achieve a reward of peace soon enough

I’ve always seen it rather as a way of coping with the hellish existence many people lived. As a way of getting by through famine illness injustice. Suffer this temporary but nessesary fate and you’ll achieve a reward of peace soon enough

This too perhaps. Either way religion is a human creation designed for protection or relief. If it helps people to believe there is something better to come and that makes them lead a more purposeful life, then that is all well and good. Belief in general is good thing even if sometimes misplaced.

He'd have to do something truly heinous to stop me enjoying The Smiths and his solo work, or to make me feel compromised just by listening. He's not Gary Glitter.

"Religon, in general,took shape when the common,poor people rose up in FERVOR :)crazy:) against "land barons"
who were living "a sumptrous life" ( that of sitting on a cactus LOL?)"

There was no religon before the barons came around to sit on cactus? Are you doddering? Barons came
about around the century, religion was around for thousand of years before "barons".:p
Have you been licking the wrong kind of lolipop LOL:rofl:

This too perhaps. Either way religion is a human creation designed for protection or relief. If it helps people to believe there is something better to come and that makes them lead a more purposeful life, then that is all well and good. Belief in general is good thing even if sometimes misplaced.

"Perhaps" but either way religion is a human ceation for protection or belief??:crazy:
Either way, yes or no?:crazy::crazy::crazy:
You have about 5 contradictions in this post alone. You need to tighten things up a bit.
:mad:

His lyrics makes more sense now and finally I was proved right and me trying to tell those lefties gobshites that for decades was truly like talking to deaf ears.

Yes Yes! 80 percent Pro Moz!!!
Proves most of the trolls here are but a couple(Skinny , CC and Surface aka Benny the Halal Butcher) of DHs posting under several different anon names!!!

Bravo Moz:clap:

Next: Vienna and Finland Sellouts!:highfive:

"Religon, in general,took shape when the common,poor people rose up in FERVOR :)crazy:) against "land barons"
who were living "a sumptrous life" ( that of sitting on a cactus LOL?)"

There was no religon before the barons came around to sit on cactus? Are you doddering? Barons came
about around the century, religion was around for thousand of years before "barons".:p
Have you been licking the wrong kind of lolipop LOL:rofl:

Well this was well worth the wait. :rolleyes:

Religion was there of course, but it was at this point is was used as a tool to control the masses.

Trolling is tireless and mindless work and you have the energy and stupidity for the job. Vegan, you are 117 of a kind whether #75, or #117, or the originally banned psychotic you never fail to disappoint.

Keep up the sub-par humorous posts they are obviously so well received here. But the fruitless and failed attempts you make time and time again at being the next Benny make me laugh. So thank you for that.

You should really examine your fixation with homosexual acts...it just might help. But if you would rather stay in the closet that is your choice, just leave the keyboard outside.

Well this was well worth the wait. :rolleyes:

Religion was there of course, but it was at this point is was used as a tool to control the masses.

Trolling is tireless and mindless work and you have the energy and stupidity for the job. Vegan, you are 117 of a kind whether #75, or #117, or the originally banned psychotic you never fail to disappoint.

Keep up the sub-par humorous posts they are obviously so well received here. But the fruitless and failed attempts you make time and time again at being the next Benny make me laugh. So thank you for that.

You should really examine your fixation with homosexual acts...it just might help. But if you would rather stay in the closet that is your choice, just leave the keyboard outside.

LOL "Well this was well worth the wait"
I bet LOOLL:laughing: I bet you are going to party Tonite, like KC.doh:

"Vegan, you are 117 of a kind whether #75 or #117 , or the original banned psychotic, you NEVER FAIL TO DISAPPOINT?" What is that all about? :brows:
I whup you but dont disappoint you? Not my thing, call Surface.:brows:

Let me see, you post several posts about sitting on a cactus and you want me to give up
a fixation with homosexual acts? I dont think its going to do the trick:crazy:

Insanity going on here, like a gay disco from the 70s.:squiffy:

"Vegan, you are 117 of a kind whether #75 or #117 , or the original banned psychotic, you NEVER FAIL TO DISAPPOINT?" What is that all about? :brows:

Let me see, you post several posts about sitting on a cactus and you want me to give up

What are you doing here Biebs, everyone knows that you are a sad troll. You have nothing of interest to say, you are a sad excuse for a human being, so do one you turd.

You are the Baskin-Robbins of crazy. But instead of 32 flavors you have 117.

I didn't make the initial cactus comment, but the facts play no part in your irrational retorts.

I would much prefer to be in a gay 70's disco than anywhere within ear shot of you.

I do like a good back and forth, but it seems you much prefer a good tug and pull. To each their own.

Keep the medication in the cupboard. Sanity is overrated, and you probably wouldn't benefit from it.

The good thing about your posts is that they make Morrissey's seem more level headed so thank you for that.

Back
Top Bottom