Has Morrissey Disappointed You?

I've never once heard Morrissey say he believes in God. It must be a strange God he believes in because he stated in an interview quite recently that he has no belief in an afterlife.

I have only been a fan since last August. He hasn't done anything to dissapoint me from then till now, but I kind of wish he's comment on gay rights issues. I've never read any interviews where he has.

I've never once heard Morrissey say he believes in God. It must be a strange God he believes in because he stated in an interview quite recently that he has no belief in an afterlife.

I did hear him, but I really didn't need to at that point. It doesn't make a difference for me what kind of God he believes in really...

Truly Disappointed

I didn't even know! OMG that sounds stupid, what were his reasons?

Hola, Di! This is the brouhaha where Mozzer's formerly sanguine relationship with David turned quite acrimonious. No dig at the newbies, but I'm amazed at how many people I meet who had no idea of this history.

As for Moz believing in God or not. I think he said in some interview that he wished he could believe in God. I feel the same way. I think it would be really comforting to believe in a God, that S/he cares for you, that you will go to a better place after death, etc. I envy people who can believe in such things.

I got into Morrissey a little before YATQ came out. a girl I had a thing with recommended him, I didn't fall in love immediately, but I listened to it while I got stoned, it fit in with what I was listening to at the time, the Clash, Blondie, Go-Go's, Public Image Ltd., the Cure, etc. (Who were awesome the other night, BTW.) It was a slow seduction, when I watched the videos for Irish Blood and First of the Gang on TV something about him really interested me. Then I bought the Smiths best of and then I became addicted. personally, I felt disappointed by Ringleader. I think it was a step down from YATQ, and a bigger step down from earlier greats like Vauxhall, or Maladjusted, apparently I'm one of the few that really liked that album. Although, admittedly, the curse of great artists is that they must always compete with they're best work, and, as somebody already pointed out, his overall batting average is pretty f***ing amazing.

Re: Truly Disappointed

Hola, Di! This is the brouhaha where Mozzer's formerly sanguine relationship with David turned quite acrimonious. No dig at the newbies, but I'm amazed at how many people I meet who had no idea of this history.

As for Moz believing in God or not. I think he said in some interview that he wished he could believe in God. I feel the same way. I think it would be really comforting to believe in a God, that S/he cares for you, that you will go to a better place after death, etc. I envy people who can believe in such things.

Well, I am one of the original Smiths fans (1983) and I feel as if he has pushed away all of his older fans and replaced them with younger fans (he even said on the new "Morrissey's Greatest Hits" on the live CD that he guessed that most of his fans weren't alive 15 years ago. I have nothing against newcomers, young or old, but I feel as if he has deserted us older folks.

Well, I am one of the original Smiths fans (1983) and I feel as if he has pushed away all of his older fans and replaced them with younger fans (he even said on the new "Morrissey's Greatest Hits" on the live CD that he guessed that most of his fans weren't alive 15 years ago. I have nothing against newcomers, young or old, but I feel as if he has deserted us older folks.

Well, I can't argue with a feeling. But I have to point out that Moz must've been facetious when he said that most of the fans there at the H-bowl were 15 or younger. Most people around me looked 40-60 years old; I was in the front center of the garden boxes. The people in the pool section were probably younger, but with tix at an average of $150+ for a good seat, I don't really see the 15 and under whippersnappers buying up the majority of the seats there.

I never felt abandoned by Morrissey, but I did notice that the demographics of his visible fanbase in California seemed to change. Suited me. I respect Latino culture, and I'm learning Spanish so I can better serve my clients. I also respect the old-timers, being somewhat one myself. But I get mistaken for looking a lot younger than I am.

Some reviewer in the 90s noted that Moz seemed like a Dorian Gray in reverse -- he aged while his audience stayed perpetually youthful.

thanks for the link, I'll go take a look, ut I'm already disappointed...

Aout Moz believing/not believing in God, he also said in an interview that he used to like the NYDolls ut "now", he said then, he'd listen and that their music meant absolutely nothing to him anymore. :o He's so cute and hard-headed and partial.
I truly believe he believes. He's not atheist like me, that's FOR SURE.

PS: I read that DavidT thing. Sad. I'm glad it's been worked out and we can still enjoy Solo.

I was dissapointed when I read that he said that he didn't think homosexuality exsists. That's what bible thumpers are always saying.....about us :(:tears:.

Are you sure he meant what you think? Because for me, for instance, humans shouldn't have to even think of labels when it comes to sexuality, I believe we should be "allowed" to go through life being attracted by whomever attracts us, no worries.
When I was 7 I had a tremendous crush on both Elvis and Brooke Shields. And I've remained open that way, it's just that since Morrissey happened nobody else attracts me really...
I think he meant that, like he said "prefixes are immaterial". If you find that you're only attracted to people of one sex, you still shouldn't have to label yourself.
People are sexual. I am not, so far. :p

Keyword should always be Consensuality, and I might add legal age.

I was dissapointed when I read that he said that he didn't think homosexuality exsists. That's what bible thumpers are always saying.....about us :(:tears:.

thts not exactly what he said

he said

"I refuse to recognise the terms hetero-, bi-, and homo-sexual. Everybody has exactly the same sexual needs. People are just -sexual, the prefix is immaterial. "

like you dont wann define only by the sexuality you have...

like being gay is pointed out.. ...like tht is the only thing thtat define you...
if you are straight that would never be mentioned extra....

and about gay rights issues he has commented

Morrissey said of the issue of clause 28 in 1988:

Obviously, I find the entire Thatcher syndrome very stressful and evil and all those other words. […] The most perfect example, I suppose, is Clause 28. I think that absolutely embodies Thatcher’s very nature and her quite natural hatred.

Clause 28
In British law, section 28 of the Local Government Act 1988 that prohibits local authorities promoting homosexuality by publishing material, or by promoting the teaching in state schools of the acceptability of homosexuality as a ‘pretended family relationship’. There was widespread opposition to the introduction of the provision.

In 2000 Blair's Labour government fought a political battle to repeal the contentious legislation, under which a prosecution has never been brought. In June 2000 the Scottish Parliament voted to repeal the legislation.

more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_28

And what exactly are those universal sexual needs?
having your orgasm on a daily or weekly basis is a common thing :D:D

finding someone you love talk to share your life with...a general need no matter who you prefer

a relationship is a relationship no matter which gender (same /mixed)is envolved so it dint have to pointed out
and love is love no matter which gender (same /mixed)is envolved

yes..he just don't want to marry me:rolleyes:

I’m disappointed in the way this summer’s concert itinerary has been handled (or not handled.) We were told officially earlier in the year that there would be a “European Tour” this summer and that the touring was to be basically continuous for the foreseeable future.

Obviously, living in the US I would love one or two stateside shows this year but I’m figuring that that’s probably not going to happen until at least until the new album comes out but more likely 2009 – sooooooooo, I was ready to board a flight again and head overseas to catch a show or three assuming some sort of logical, somewhat economical trip presented itself. I was excited about the idea of a Zurich/Munich combo. Well, here were are at the end of May and nothing but a few scattered festival shows. Pretty poor planning. I mean, a 14 day gap after Hyde Park and then a 10 day gap after Spain??? I have zero experience in tour planning (other than airlifting myself around the globe to see Moz multiple times) but I’m pretty sure I could put together a more organized itinerary that what they have now. Drop me a PM, Merck, if you’d like me to join the team.

Not too mention my summer is filling up with work obligations, social events, and, of course, airfares are continually climbing….. so the odds of me doing anything Morrissey-related this summer are shrinking as each day passes.

Yes, I know I am whining big time. Sorry. I’ll stop. I just love the rush of seeing Morrissey perform (as I’m sure you can all relate) and I love traveling to new places to see him whenever possible. But, I’m sure the time will come again….

Last edited:
I’m disappointed in the way this summer’s concert itinerary has been handled (or not handled.) We were told officially earlier in the year that there would be a “European Tour” this summer and that the touring was to be basically continuous for the foreseeable future.

Ditto.
Come on, Merck! Dates!:mad:

thts not exactly what he said

he said

"I refuse to recognise the terms hetero-, bi-, and homo-sexual. Everybody has exactly the same sexual needs. People are just -sexual, the prefix is immaterial. "

In The Severed Alliance, it says that he said, "I'm quite convinced that homosexuality doesn't really exsist".

But I understand his view on labels not being necessary. And it's nice to know that he has commented on gay rights.

When he talks about god/jesus it's annoying.

Besides that it's all aces.

Edit: I heard somewhere that he lost his faith in womenhood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom