Glastonbury

Cowshed

Underclass
What has happened to make the festival this year so undesirable for people? There was once a time when I'd go regardless of the music, but I seem to be like many others, and just decided not to pay to go.

It can't all be Jay-Z and the rain can it?

Some old woman with tarots predicted this few months ago. It's posted somewhere here, maybe in GD or Off Topic.

In truth it has only been a problem getting a ticket fo rthe last 3 years. prior to that it wasnt an issue.

The weather has been shocking for the last 3 and its damned hard work in the mud.

The line up doesnt worry me too much there is that much happening there is always something worth watching.

In truth I think the sheer number of festivals popping up is a major factor. I think its reached its critical mass now. At around £150 a pop folk can only afford to go to a finite number. There must be more festivals than ever now including easy to get to ones overseas.

Dont worry about Glastonbury it will sell out and its still unbeatable especially when the sun has his hat on. Personally I cant wait.

Back in the 90's, it was always touch-and-go as to whether Glasto would sell out. If it rained one year, it wouldn't sell out the next, and you could simply just turn up and buy a ticket on the gate.
But in the early 2000's, demand just sky-rocketed (as they say) largely due to the widespread use of the world-wide internet, and increased TV coverage of the event. The whole Glasto experience became demystified.
It was always a great weekend but only those 'in the know' would realise this.

Unbelievably, the demand has exceeded half a million in the last few years (with capacity at 100-150,000) despite a succession of festivals with appalling weather-by definition the 400,000 who were turned down for tickets each year didn't get to see how hideous a wet, muddy Glasto really was.
The mud and rain never seem that bad on telly.

Michael Eavis has scored a huge own-goal by making a rapper the headline artist. The people who really love rap music generally aren't the kind of people who love spending a weekend on a muddy festival site (with some exceptions, obviously!).

Following last year's increasingly middle-aged crowd, Eavis wanted specifically to attract a younger crowd this time and, in his simplistic, (and frankly patronising) mind, all young people simply adore rap music!
Absolute colloaks (as my phone would mis-predict).
Musical taste relates much more to personality type than to age - witness the broad age-range we have here on this very website.

It will probably still sell out but demand is down massively this year, and rightly so. Hopefully, Eavis will have learnt his lesson.

I went in 1986, drove down on the Thursday with no ticket, pulled into Bridgewater and got a ticket from HMV - cost £19.

Went again in 1989 - I think it was £27.

I dont think it's the rapping bit, there is far more going on than the main stage. I think it's a combination of people simply thinking they wouldn't get a ticket so why bother applying. The weather too is a factor, but as mentioned before, the saturation of festivals and the prices has made people pick and choose the festival for the bands they want to see rather than the for the festival itself.
Glastonbury itself as a location is far more difficult to get to compared to Reading / Leeds / Chelmsford etc etc

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Glastonbury itself as a location is far more difficult to get to compared to Reading / Leeds / Chelmsford etc etc

Not for me it isn't!

I have to agree with some of the points made on here. I did register this year, just in case I decided to change my mind, and when it came to the day the tickets went on sale I still decided I didn't fancy it. Unless I work there (for the CND) then it'll be the first one I've missed since 2002.

Glastonbury is still a very special place, and on my way back from watching Weymouth Vs Exeter the other week I had to wait for over an hour at Castle Cary station. As evening came down I could see Glastonbury Tor in the distance which brought back a lot of great memories. But it still didn't make me tempted to go this year.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...ns-tire-of-wallowing-in-own-dung-20080409859/

Back
Top Bottom