General advice for buying tickets to UK Morrissey shows

• The Morrissey live fanbase is simple not very big. He can sell out medium sized venues but he cannot sell out arena tours even when he only plays three or four around the country. In London the fanbase is around 15-20,000; easily soaked up by three nights at Brixton Academy or just two at Albert Hall.

-----

The Albert Hall only holds 5,400 these days. Brixton Academy holds exactly 4921 (I just put on a sold out show there two weeks ago, and that's exactly how many tickets we sold). If he doesn't annouce further Albert Hall dates then I think tickets for this show will be like Gold Dust. If he only adds one more they will still be sought after. I agree that if it becomes three dates then tihngs change.

Marc

Christ, i'm already in a manic phase.. how will i ever sleep now?

Don't forget - ticketmaster and seetickets often sell tickets weeks or months after they originally sell out. Keep your eyes peeled.

I remember the Oxford show in 2006 selling out mega quick and I ended up with a ticket at the back of the balcony. A couple of weeks before the show a load of good tickets down the front of the stalls appeared on ticketmaster for a few days! This has also happened for other shows, so don't give up hope!

Good advice. I tend to lose my head usually- trying to rush into work (and usually ending up being later than usual in the process), stressing out, feeling like the world is ending because the damn website has crashed...this time I intend to be calmer. Yes. That's the plan anyway :rolleyes:

Also. Just because the shutters go up after a few minutes and everyone is yelling "Sold Out", they rarely are. After lunch you'll tend to find tickets available again.

Not everyone knows about these dates yet. With the limited coverage and short notice, we might actually get a free run tomorrow? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Maurice this set of guidelines presupposes that everyone, like you, is a cool chilled out kind of guy, relaxed and confident in their demeanour, good looking and popular.:cool:
p.s. u going to Kilburn on 19th?

Really, Paul, I get enough attention/hassle off the Solo babes without you bigging me up!
Err, Kilburn on the 19th? First I’d heard. Could be on for it. Bit of a mammoth trek (hour and a half) though from where I work.

In response to other comments; indeed, I wouldn’t recommend that people travelling from overseas come without a ticket (unless the sea you're travelling over is The Solent). You’ll probably be fine but I wouldn’t want to risk a few hundred quid on an air fare...

I’ve been to every single UK Morrissey tour (or one-off show) in recent years and, since 2000, have never once panicked into buying a ticket the minute they go on sale, and have also never once paid more than face value for the ticket (usually paying considerably less).
Here are some (hopefully useful) things to consider;
• In the old pre-internet days, if you didn’t get a ticket through official channels, your only choice was to negotiate with a tout; often quite an intimidating experience.
• Nowadays, there are tons of ways of getting unwanted tickets through websites like this one and other general ones like Gumtree
• People will always have tickets to get rid of nearer the time. They buy more than they need, friends can’t go at the last minute etc.
• Do not, repeat, do not buy a ticket off E-bay at an inflated price. People making a profit through E-bay are the lowest of the low! At least the ticket touts are out there in the cold, negotiating with people face-to-face, taking risks etc. E-bay touts are just cowardly, greedy, computer geeks.
• The Morrissey live fanbase is simple not very big. He can sell out medium sized venues but he cannot sell out arena tours even when he only plays three or four around the country. In London the fanbase is around 15-20,000; easily soaked up by three nights at Brixton Academy or just two at Albert Hall.
• Morrissey always adds on extra dates after announcing the initial ones. This is naughty and irritating but it’s what he does (in order to create a buzz and make sure initial dates sell out).

Excellent post and it's what I've always found too. I paid less than face value from a greedy tout on the 23rd Dec 2006. :)

I agree with most of your observations however I do feel that the Manchester dates are SOLD OUT. Last time (2006) people had paid £200 for the Saturday night at the Apollo. The Sunday at the Opera house and Monday at Bridgewater I managed to get at face value off someone who visits this webiste and by booking direct with the venue at the latter.

I'm gonna pass on the albert Hall this time and wait to see what other dates are announced. Birmingham will be very handy for me indeed.

-----

The Albert Hall only holds 5,400 these days. Brixton Academy holds exactly 4921 (I just put on a sold out show there two weeks ago, and that's exactly how many tickets we sold). If he doesn't annouce further Albert Hall dates then I think tickets for this show will be like Gold Dust. If he only adds one more they will still be sought after. I agree that if it becomes three dates then tihngs change.

Marc

Marcos, Marcos... what was his wife's name again who could barely speak Spanish let alone English....anyway.....

Having looked at the Albert Hall website there is 5 nights between Moz and Eric Clapton's annual residency. Indeed Morrissey is seemingly sandwiched between Chris De Burgh and Ol' Slowhand. Maybe he'll write a song about it. I think last time the second RAH night was announced after the first night?? I may be wrong.

Well he's playing Birmingham on the 13th and 'pool on the 10th so could add RAH on the 12th....Christ on a bike, I hopes not. I can't take this again. I'm going up to change my clothes, feel like I've run a country mile :eek:

Well he's playing Birmingham on the 13th and 'pool on the 10th so could add RAH on the 12th....Christ on a bike, I hopes not. I can't take this again. I'm going up to change my clothes, feel like I've run a country mile :eek:

How do you know the dates for the others? Any idea when they go on sale? Cheers.

Excellent post and it's what I've always found too. I paid less than face value from a greedy tout on the 23rd Dec 2006. :)

ah but for those of us travelling a long way its too much of a risk...

How do you know the dates for the others? Any idea when they go on sale? Cheers.

Janice Long last night announced 3 more dates ,scouse, brum and hull on the 19th. She said ticket on-sale dates would be announced next week. I would guess you should keep next Friday morning clear.
Oh and Carnegie Hall, nyc, march 26th if that's handier ;)

I am finding it hard not to scream, cry and throw things around the office as I desperately want to be at the gig on Friday 22 May with my boyfriend. I tried so hard to get a ticket and couldn't get one. I am very nervous about the prospect of negotiating for a ticket nearer the time.

God, I feel completely awful now.

Janice Long last night announced 3 more dates ,scouse, brum and hull on the 19th. She said ticket on-sale dates would be announced next week. I would guess you should keep next Friday morning clear.
Oh and Carnegie Hall, nyc, march 26th if that's handier ;)

Well I'm often in New York. Ahem.

Oh lordi another friday morning's Dr appointment!!!! Am I pregnant?

Back
Top Bottom