First Morrissey gig

were you there? i was staying at this "schoolhouse hotel" (which was lovely! ) and it was about a 2 hour walk to the arena, and i had awful sciatica (the only time in my life i've had it!!), but i didnt know how to get there on the bus so i walked--hobbled--there and back. i didnt mind, i was exhilirated to have seen morrissey!! i cried when he performed 'asleep' at the end, because i really believed he was dying.
That's hardcore.

New Brunswick, New Jersey on the Maladjusted tour. This first Morrissey concert was also my last, and I think one of my last concerts altogether. I was becoming rather devout in my Catholic faith in the late nineties, and concerts were a frivolity frowned on by St. Francis de Sales.
Wolverhampton, December 1988. I still love that in the opening shot of Tim Broad's "Hulmerist" doc, you can see my little old red Mitsubishi Colt in the background, where we'd parked it the previous night!

View attachment 82787
Fabulous claim to fame.

Mine was Liverpool Empire. 91. First big gig. My brother and his mates ran over the back of the seats and cuz I was a girl I just stayed where I was. Just me in a void. I could've easily moved closer to the stage. But I was scared that the others would leave without me. Was glorious though. One of brother's mates got a piece of shirt and he shared it between us all. Black with gold threads through it. Hoping it is stashed in my attic because I haven't seen it for years.

My first Morrissey show was in Yuma, Arizona in 2002. It was awesome. My favorite show was in Los Angeles in 2014. I went with my little sister, and it was my favorite show because he sang Asleep. That was a dream come true for me. I will always treasure those memories.

Did you see The Smiths?
No .. they played Carlisle twice but I was unaware. I have couple of friends that did tho.
Apparently there were a hand full of punks up front spitting .
Moz left the stage, then an announcement came over the PA System saying that if people don’t stop spitting them Morrissey won’t come back on stage.
A fair request I’d say😁

glasgow,4th of december,2004.M comes on dressed as a priest,great show,only thing missing was communion.

No .. they played Carlisle twice but I was unaware. I have couple of friends that did tho.
Apparently there were a hand full of punks up front spitting .
Moz left the stage, then an announcement came over the PA System saying that if people don’t stop spitting them Morrissey won’t come back on stage.
A fair request I’d say😁
Ha! Yeah, I’d say that’s fair! We’re you a fan of the Smiths back then, Baz?

Back
Top Bottom