Filter Magazine Interview

If he does give up, I don't want poetry. I want him to write about pop music they way he's done for liner notes in the past. I reckon he's got a book about all his heroes in him. Would be a fascinating read.

Theres a lot of diffrent belives in the whole statment about quiting.
if it is to whip up sales for tickets? and from what a lot of people feel about YOR,it dont look very good then does it! if he has to make statments like that to sell tickets well some thing is very wrong!
Its a weird feeling like he has prepared us for this day! as for me i just add YATQ to the smiths collection and be happy at that!
Hope after saying this he dont bunk off tour dates!
iam only going to one gig so hope theres no cancelations!

No, nothing is wrong (regardless of my personal feelings towards YOR). This is just how Moz operates. Before each new album, Morrissey refers to it as his "strongest" or best. He also tries to gin up some controversy. With ROTT, it was animal right's statements. This time it's, "I might be retiring." He knows how to use the press.

By signing with Lost Highway, his fate may be sealed before the album is even released. Sadly, it doesn't really matter if the album is good or not. I see absolutely awful music sell millions of records. If Morrissey wants to remain relevant, (IMO) he should take on the role as indie elder and influence to a generation of musicians. He also needs to get on TV and radio to promote the album. He doesn't have the financial backing of Sanctuary and after the "Greatest Hits" fiasco, it doesn't seem like there will be much in the way of advertising for the new album (especially outside the U.K. and Ireland).

If he does give up, I don't want poetry. I want him to write about pop music they way he's done for liner notes in the past. I reckon he's got a book about all his heroes in him. Would be a fascinating read.

There's always been that rumor about a possible autobiography. I'm sure he'd cover the pop music industry.:)

We can have both ;)

Well, I'm not so sure. Why?

- He is turning 50, and will obviously promote YoR and tour until say, 2010?
so then he would need another record deal that, as we know, is not easy especially for him because he doesn't sell massive amounts of records and he doesn't play by the Music Industry rules (and thank God for that)

Also, for how long can he keep this up? doing 2 year tours and recording albuns? I mean he will have to stop one day. Also he is an ARTIST and I'm sure he is very self-conscious about himself and his work.

So finally let's talk about YoR:

This album is full of references to a possible bow out.

One day farewell will be goodbye of course, with the final line so grab me while we still have the time

You were good in your time - which may as well be about himself and his fans in the future or even a few of his fans at present who already seem to think that ( I´m NOT included in this group)

All you need is me you're gonna miss me when I'm gone

Finally the lyrics in the album seem to reflect and summarize well what Moz is about: his problems (depression, loneliness) obsessions and refusals (love, death, betrayal, the law)- like the final piece of a Late-Moz Triology.
And YoR ends with I'm OK by myself, which is self explanatory.

I adore Morrissey but I understand and respect what he said in that interview. If he decides to pull the plug, I can only hope for his autobiography and maybe a poetry book (like someone suggested on the main page).

Whatever Happens I will ALWAYS love him :) and even if he decides to retire, we will always have his art and his words - his life and his amazing world painted over a period of almost 30 years, can we really ask for more?
iam obsessed with this thread lol that was well put!
by trade and roots iam a dj from the early illegal rave scene to upfront breakbeats/liquid drum and bass/tech house,so iam involved in music alot diffrent to most morrissey fans listen to.
So his work to me will be like a story book or diary u can pick it up any time and read/listen to again and again.
I do feel for the fans thats live for morrissey day to day but morrissey will spark a great brain to invent and return words and music to his genius!
Music needs a big change from all that bubble gum rnb rap stuff we need someone of this generation to explode on the scene like the smiths and bring us and the new generation something real!
Would be nice for moz to sit back and think "That was me 26 years ago "

Last edited:
By signing with Lost Highway, his fate may be sealed before the album is even released. Sadly, it doesn't really matter if the album is good or not. I see absolutely awful music sell millions of records. If Morrissey wants to remain relevant, (IMO) he should take on the role as indie elder and influence to a generation of musicians. He also needs to get on TV and radio to promote the album. He doesn't have the financial backing of Sanctuary and after the "Greatest Hits" fiasco, it doesn't seem like there will be much in the way of advertising for the new album (especially outside the U.K. and Ireland).

I believe it's Decca nowadays, not Sanctuary. I sure he will appear on radio (Radio 2 upcoming) and TV to promote the album, but it's hard when Radio 1 doesn't play your records, which still holds great sway with the teenage audience, and therefore new listeners from the old vanguard of Morrrissey / Smith fans. The only other alternative is to do, aforementioned, Hello! front page cover and "interview" with Kerry Katona.

I believe it's Decca nowadays, not Sanctuary. I sure he will appear on radio (Radio 2 upcoming) and TV to promote the album, but it's hard when Radio 1 doesn't play your records, which still holds great sway with the teenage audience, and therefore new listeners from the old vanguard of Morrrissey / Smith fans. The only other alternative is to do, aforementioned, Hello! front page cover and "interview" with Kerry Katona.
LOL no shes gone to iceland!

on jonathan ross he says theres one more chapter etc he has to finish before it released?
could this be the last part?

If his voice is still good, I think it'll be hard for him to walk away. It's analogous to a professional athlete retiring. If their skills and physical ability are still there, 99% of the time they continue to play.

Additionally, while I'm not Mozzer's shrink or accountant, it seems to me being a pop icon is what he knows and how he has made a living his whole adult life. It is his identity. Strip him of that and he's just a well spoken Englishman. His last big pay days are still out there and once he goes, he's gone.

I don't think it ends this way. I think he loves the stage lights and celebrity too much. I say they'll have to drag him kicking and screaming unless his voice goes. He won't embarrass himself ala Neil Diamond and keep going after his pipes are clearly diminished.

Yes I know. Sanctuary backed him financially and helped him achieve many of his "Greatest Hits." Decca, on the other hand, has not demonstrated the same willingness. I mean Lost Highway is distributing his album in the U.S.

what happened to "My time is now!" ?

If his voice is still good, I think it'll be hard for him to walk away. It's analogous to a professional athlete retiring. If their skills and physical ability are still there, 99% of the time they continue to play.

Additionally, while I'm not Mozzer's shrink or accountant, it seems to me being a pop icon is what he knows and how he has made a living his whole adult life. It is his identity. Strip him of that and he's just a well spoken Englishman. His last big pay days are still out there and once he goes, he's gone.

I don't think it ends this way. I think he loves the stage lights and celebrity too much. I say they'll have to drag him kicking and screaming unless his voice goes. He won't embarrass himself ala Neil Diamond and keep going after his pipes are clearly diminished.

I think he loves the stage lights but I don't think he's bothered about being a celebrity. I can see him very easily disappearing if he decided to give up singing. He's never done any of the things that many pop stars do to try and keep themselves in the public eye when he's not touring. Most of the time we don't even know what country he is in.

I agree with with you 100%.This kind of talk from Morrissey means more ticket sales for the tour because people start to think this could be the last time we see him.
For what it's worth I think he'll cary on for another few years.

i agree with you.

By signing with Lost Highway, his fate may be sealed before the album is even released. Sadly, it doesn't really matter if the album is good or not. I see absolutely awful music sell millions of records).
whats wrong with lost highway?can you explain further?

No, nothing is wrong (regardless of my personal feelings towards YOR). This is just how Moz operates. Before each new album, Morrissey refers to it as his "strongest" or best. He also tries to gin up some controversy. With ROTT, it was animal right's statements. This time it's, "I might be retiring." He knows how to use the press.

Why should he though? I'm sure we all love him for being so true to himself. I'd find it embarassing to watch him try and promote himself to death on TV.

Though another funny interview in the style of Wossy wouldn't go amiss :p

There's a big fuss here in Chile about that interview and the supposed Morrissey's retirement. It's made it to the home pages of main media... And a couple of friends sent me the links, foretelling I'd live an intense mourning... But I told them it's OK because the end is not here yet and he's used to saying things like that... I don't worry about things that will not happen yet :)

There's a big fuss here in Chile about that interview and the supposed Morrissey's retirement. It's made it to the home pages of main media... And a couple of friends sent me the links, foretelling I'd live an intense mourning... But I told them it's OK because the end is not here yet and he's used to saying things like that... I don't worry about things that will not happen yet :)

Seconded ;)

Why should he though? I'm sure we all love him for being so true to himself. I'd find it embarassing to watch him try and promote himself to death on TV.

Though another funny interview in the style of Wossy wouldn't go amiss :p

Because he whines and complains about "the death of another single" and wants every album he releases to reach #1 on the charts. You can't have it both ways: if you want chart success and you want record labels to continue to sign you, then you have to play the game.

He did back in 2004 with a media blitz and a solid record to back it up. The results speak for themselves: he was able to release artists under his vanity label Attack, and he received the full backing of Sanctuary. They released singles in the U.S. (not just the U.K. and Ireland). Currently, he's releasing under some label called Lost Highways and it seems extremely doubtful we'll be getting anything other than download only b-sides here in the U.S. All of which is a shame because the U.S. has always been good to Morrissey in terms of album sales.

Edit: I think we are in for a media blitz of sorts. To my understanding, the remastered and re-done artwork for "Maladjusted" will be released one week after YOR, and I believe we're going to get "Southpaw" shortly before YOR. So, it seems Morrissey will be everywhere. Hopefully, the reviewers will be as kind to the two remastered albums as they have been to YOR. IMO, a remastered "Maladjusted" with new cover art and a two disc set featuring the original album plus the "Maladjusted" era b-sides would be greeted warmly. The b-sides of that era contained some really good material.

Last edited:
Tags
hull=shithole interview steve's not your pet
Back
Top Bottom