Edwyn Collins Disrespects the Moz!

G

goinghome

Collins recently spoke to Spinner about 'Losing Sleep,' his hellish strokes, how he learned to write again and the future of his legendary band, Orange Juice. Maybe he should have left it at that!

"...Once you were out of the hospital, how did you start actually writing the songs and showing your collaborators what you wanted to do?

With both Alex Kapranos and Johnny Marr, it was pretty simple. They would get together with me, individually, in my studio, West Heath. Since only one of my arms works, I would have to show them the chords of the song. You know, point at the frets, and they would each voice the chords on the guitar. Alex is a new friend, a very charming, smart and patient man who liked my solo stuff and things with Orange Juice. We became so close, he ended up doing the narration in a documentary about me a few years ago. Johnny I've known since he was in the Smiths.

I knew it wouldn't be a problem for Johnny. After working with Morrissey, I was easy! I love Morrissey's work, don't get me wrong. I always say, though, that even though I may have had a stroke, with him, I'm not sure anybody's home!..." :squiffy:

All at - http://www.spinner.com/2011/03/22/edwyn-collins-losing-sleep/

Fair enough. He says he loves Morrissey's work. I'm sure there is no higher compliment. Pretty harmless.

nah

Edwyn is a friend of Boz, his comment about Morrissey isn't disrespectful at all.

Re: nah

Edwyn is a friend of Boz, his comment about Morrissey isn't disrespectful at all.

You may know Boz better than the rest of us, Kewpie, but did you really need to make that change in my title, as if just for the sake of it? :squiffy: A bit of space, please, to hear ourselves think, when there are no principles or TOS issues involved.:)
Blessings. :guitar:

You may know Boz better than the rest of us, Kewpie, but did you really need to make that change in my title, as if just for the sake of it? :squiffy: A bit of space, please, to hear ourselves think, when there are no principles or TOS issues involved.:)
Blessings. :guitar:

I did not change the title of the thread.
I changed the title of my reply, IMHO the word 'disrespects' is not appropriate.
Users are able to change the title of their own posts.

Morrissey himself admits that he's being difficult, Edwyn was joking about it which is not disrespectful.

Last edited:

I did not change the title of the thread.
I changed the title of my reply, IMHO the word 'disrespects' is not appropriate.
Users are able to change the title of their own posts.

I apologise for my presumption, kewpie, and totally agree with your assertion that users can change the title of their own posts, which is entirely in keeping with my moan. I was referring to the sneaky erasure of my minor 'the' before Moz, in the title, and if I knew who was behind this perfidy, I'd hang another dj/mod!! :guitar: Ah well, there's worse things in life than never being someone's., _ wah wah waaaah._ _ _ :sleeping:

Edit: Ha! The execution's off! Order's been restored, along with idiosyncratic title. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

One Owen Pallett, musician and score arranger for numerous big names, also gives Morrissey some uncalled-for lip! -

How much of your concept albums is about you trying to manipulate public persona?

I don't. I've always had a real hard time engaging with songwriters who do put on a persona. Morrissey being the best example of someone I really admire but align myself in opposition to.

What about Morrissey turns you off?

Just that he's allowed himself to stay in the closet, or at least be ambiguous, for so long as if it's not a big deal. I could talk about Morrissey but basically I decided early on that I was always going to be candid in interviews, that I was always gonna set up my own gear onstage, that I was going to keep costuming down to a minimum, that I was going to be off-the-cuff and relaxed around the audience because, growing up, that's the kind of music that inspired me... -
http://www.spinner.com/2011/03/25/owen-pallett-junos-morrissey-strokes-arcade-fire/

Back
Top Bottom