Durutti Column (Vini Reilly etc.) live in session on Mark Radcliffe's Radio 2 show tonight

• Thread starter The Last Man In Europe
  • Start date
Re: Thanks for highlighting that.

clashes with 'State of Play' on Telly, but that's what video recorders are for!

I've read some good reviews of VR but I've not bought anything by him. Any recommendations?

> clashes with 'State of Play' on Telly, but that's what video recorders are
> for!

> I've read some good reviews of VR but I've not bought anything by him. Any
> recommendations?

The return of the Durutti Column is an interesting piece of work, if not very listenable. He's done some good stuff on other peoples albums, as we all know, such as with John Cooper Clarke and Pauline Murray.

> I've read some good reviews of VR but I've not bought anything by him. Any
> recommendations?

I think to a certain extent it depends on whether or not you like Vini's voice - I do, but a lot of people seem to prefer the mainly-instrumental albums or the ones with greater use of guest vocalists or vocal samples. My favourite album is probably "LC" - "The Missing Boy" (an in-memoriam song for Ian Curtis) is incredibly moving. Their last-but-one album "Someone Else's Party" was also very good, a return to form. I haven't heard their current album "Tempus Fugit" yet. There's a new best-of out next month, you could wait to pick that up:

From http://www.column.freeuk.com/pages/news.htm

Latest Durutti Column news:

The Best of The Durutti Column, the compilation album formerly known as The Definitive Durutti Column, will be in the shops by the end of September 2004. Advance copies will be on sale at the Bridgewater Hall on 16 September. The 32-track double album has some very classy artwork and sensational photos by Rachel (McFarlane). The sleeve notes are by Vini Reilly and Anthony H Wilson.

According to Amazon UK this will be released on October 4th.

Re: Morrissey's "massive property portfolio"

Did anyone listen to the Durutti Column session? Radcliffe acknowledged Vini for getting Morrissey's solo career started, noted that Morrissey's out on tour "(- can't STOP touring)", Morrissey lives in a big pink house in Hollywood that they knew Carole Lombard lived in, and Radcliffe alledged Mozzer has a 'massive property portfolio'. I don't think any comment was made from the band members on the last point. I recall Radcliffe told listeners to make up their own jokes about living in a 'pink house in Hollywood'.

2 Flats in Plumstead isn't a 'portfolio'

> Did anyone listen to the Durutti Column session? Radcliffe acknowledged
> Vini for getting Morrissey's solo career started, noted that Morrissey's
> out on tour "(- can't STOP touring)", Morrissey lives in a big
> pink house in Hollywood that they knew Carole Lombard lived in, and
> Radcliffe alledged Mozzer has a 'massive property portfolio'. I don't
> think any comment was made from the band members on the last point. I
> recall Radcliffe told listeners to make up their own jokes about living in
> a 'pink house in Hollywood'.

innit?.

Re: Morrissey's "massive property portfolio"

> Did anyone listen to the Durutti Column session? Radcliffe acknowledged
> Vini for getting Morrissey's solo career started, noted that Morrissey's
> out on tour "(- can't STOP touring)", Morrissey lives in a big
> pink house in Hollywood that they knew Carole Lombard lived in, and
> Radcliffe alledged Mozzer has a 'massive property portfolio'. I don't
> think any comment was made from the band members on the last point. I
> recall Radcliffe told listeners to make up their own jokes about living in
> a 'pink house in Hollywood'.

Jayne Mansfield had a spooky pink house in Hollywood, which as the legend goes she haunted for many years. Although current owner Engelbert Humperdinck hasn't seen her descending the staircase or relaxing by her heart shaped swimming pool for numerous years. I can just see Mozzer drifting around his own place in 100 years echoing the words - 'I am the ghost of troubled Joe' and 'The ghost and the storm outside will not invade this sacred shrine, nor infiltrate your mind'.

Re: True

> innit?.

I'm not sure that Radcliffe hasn't mixed up his Morrisseys - because Neil Morrissey seems to be all over the www in connection with his property dealings. Mind you, if you've got a few million I imagine that buying property is about the safest thing to do with your cash. Incidentally, 'Who got Marc Bolan's millions' was repeated on TV the other night in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom