Down time - Morrissey by Robert Sandall - Times online

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3122780.ece

The Smiths were a tough act to follow, but Morrissey made the transition look easy. While he never deviated far from his original lyrical blueprint – as the laureate of bitchy melancholia and defender of obsolete Englishness – freedom from the constraints of a fixed band lineup liberated his musical imagination. He lost his way in the late 1990s, but stormed back, and now feels as permanent as summer rain.

1 Every Day Is like Sunday (1988) An early sign that the melodic flair and gloomy acuity were intact.

2 There Is a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends (1991) Morrissey’s first foray into full-on, guitar-free torch-singing.

3 You’re the One for Me, Fatty (1992) A joyfully childish lyric bolted to an irresistible chorus.

4 Certain People I Know (1992) A reheated T-Rex riff introduced a celebration of the snooker hall.

5 Now My Heart Is Full (1994) Morrissey at his most rock-operatic: worth having for the litany of strange names alone.

6 The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get (1994) Home of the immortal couplet “I bear more grudges / Than lonely high-court judges”.

7 Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning (1994) A spooky, whispered piece of mad seaside gothic.

8 The World Is Full of Crashing Bores (2004) How true – and who better to say it in song?

9 I’m Not Sorry (2004) Morrissey at his gentlest, unapologetically coming out at last.

10 I Will See You in Far Off Places (2006) A swirl of eastern effects, produced by Tony Visconti.

"The judge, he holds a grudge
He's gonna call on you
But he's badly built
And he walks on stilts
Watch out he don't fall on you."

"Most Likely you go Your way and I'll go Mine" - Bob Dylan

.....anyway I still think the way Morrissey uses it is original.

i definitely prefer the way morrissey used the judge/grudge rhyme. the judge, he holds a grudge? c'mon. sounds like something from a small child's book.

sunday times

did anyone see the list of ten essential morrissey songs in todays culture section of the sunday times? number one,obviously ,...everyday is like sunday...but the rest were not so obvious at all....

Re: sunday times

Could you send a link to the article? Thanks!

oops- ignore the above- my computer page wasn't open all the way! I got it!

Back
Top Bottom