Discussion of new songs aired today on 6 Music Live

Jackie does have a Staircase At University feel, with catchy vocal hooks throughout. It finishes with an ad lib "exit/Brexit" repetition. I believe he sings Brexit. Can anyone confirm that?

"Brexit" wouldn't make sense in the song. The song seems quite literally to be about a singer who only feels comfortable performing, as her life has gone to shit having lost her lover. "No audience telling her what to do" - at the end of the song, that audience is headed toward the exit. It doesn't have anything to do with Brexit.

Well....I was very impressed by the new tracks.

I Wish You Lonely is fast, crisp, with an unorthodox structure that does not follow the verse,chorus,verse,chorus,middle 8,verse, chorus thing Moz does so well. I felt it to be a huge chorus in its entirety, which is always good.

The vocal hooks on it are superb and it DOES have a mental Smithsy falsetto in the middle. Clearly one of the singles.

Bed was great to hear live, despite the horrid laser sounds at the beginning. Apart from that, it sounds anthemic and big already. What a helluva great pop song.

Jackie does have a Staircase At University feel, with catchy vocal hooks throughout. It finishes with an ad lib "exit/Brexit" repetition. I believe he sings Brexit. Can anyone confirm that? It's powerful and overflowing with a certain anarchic newness.

When you open your legs is the Spanish song on the album, with Latin inspired instrumentation throughout. It's cacthy (as usual) and fresh.

Home has one of those super emotional heart-tearing giants of a chorus a la I Have Forgiven Jesus. It does stand out as the melodramatic song on the set.

Young People is a slower song , which I heard only once and not till the end...as the quality I got on this one , regarding technical aspects, was too low. So I preferred to abort it , just to hear it on the album proper. So I can't tell much about this one.

All in all, the new songs sounded fresh, pompous, fast, catchy and hopedully revealing of the bigger block they represent a chunk off.

Thanks, Moz...

And yes, oppressive religions suck!

Brexit/Exit is very obvious and don't listen to McRickson who sings like a pre teenage boy waiting for the balls to drop.

On first listen, 'When You Open Your Legs' seems the standout, and 'Home is a Question Mark' had it's moments. The other new ones didn't do much for me.

I don't hear brexit. Maybe it's the other voices sing exit all at once making some think so

It sounds to me that he sings exit and Brexit alternatedly

Can you come up with anymore brilliant observations that the world needs to know about?

Brexit Exit Brexit Exit (hello can anyone hear me?)

I don't hear brexit. Maybe it's the other voices sing exit all at once making some think so

You don't hear it cause it is not there but the message from Moz is all too clear for anyone with half a brain (count me out).

I think the songs are promising... As others have said maybe the live performances nothing special, looking forwards to the studio versions though. Hoping the final two tracks performed will make it onto the internet somehow...

I don't agree that the chorus of When You Open Your Legs is anything special. I do look the Spanish sound... But the problem is that the chorus sounds like the first half of two entirely separate choruses thrust together. The 'everything I know deserts me now' sounds as if it is going somewhere good, almost like some YATQ stuff, then suddenly the rapid tone change to 'when you open your legs' which itself sounds like it is going somewhere else but never does.

Don't wanna sound like I'm complaining too much. I think the negativity is a bit unjustified, I feel some people are desperate to hate the new tracks. The performances not perfect, but not bad - I mean come on, compare it to all live performances, none are totally amazing. And the tracks are solid imo. Surely not bad enough to cancel your pre-orders... Getting a bit melodramatic lol.

The last album track Israel is about the Palestine and Pissrael struggles I am lead to believe. Not that anyone cares.

Can you come up with anymore brilliant observations that the world needs to know about?

Brexit Exit Brexit Exit (hello can anyone hear me?)
Well...I heard it many times and to me it sounds like Brexit ...let's wait.

Well...I heard it many times and to me it sounds like Brexit ...let's wait.

:lbf: yes!.. he's singing 'Brexit!' and 'Jacky' is actually 'Union Jack-y'!.. the plot is beginning to thicken !! ;)

:lbf: yes!.. he's singing 'Brexit!' and 'Jacky' is actually 'Union Jack-y'!.. the plot is beginning to thicken !! ;)
Or is HE Jacky, singing about all of the mouthy folks on solo, and the abandoning fair weather fans?

(I dunno. I just enjoyed the song.)

Stop trying to make all the songs sound foreign and anti-American written by All American Malibu Steve so you can have your fantasies because he won't tour your foreign country. If you want the truth.."Jacky" is really Nancy Sinatra and was written for her. Wake up.

Or is HE Jacky, singing about all of the mouthy folks on solo, and the abandoning fair weather fans?

(I dunno. I just enjoyed the song.)

he may be, in the sense that a lot of people who go up on stage might feel more 'loved' there then when off. On first listen, made me think of 'Girl least likely to', can't make out all the words, so wouldn't be smart to say anymore at this point. As far as your 'solo' comment? this site's been around for a while, unfortunately it's infected with the same old hatebots who come here to falsely accuse and make bizarre speculations based on what M has said or did (or what they think he said or did). So, I believe if he were to write a song about this place, he would have long ago.

I like the swagger of the song, they have interesting things happening in all of them. 'Jacky' is my least fave of the new batch, as of today. 'Home is' made me think of 'this is not your country' the melody or the guitar, it also made me think of some Suede song. Still like it. It's gonna be a great album, CANT WAIT !!!! :D

Last edited:
I LOVED THE NEW SONGS!!!
As I said in the other thread I am really, really excited for the album :rock:

WHAT ARE THEY LIKE ?

M - "It's the CRACK of Noon... and I've been made available......and here we are in Maida Vale....(that's it!) "

TRACK - YOU HAVE KILLED ME
> Still Superb.

TRACK - I WISH YOU LONELY
"Think Of Yourself Lonely, Of everything YOU demand, You want and You need... to hell with
everybody else...."
"Tombs are full of fools..who gave their life upon command..."
>Great Band. Fantastic Arrangement and drumming.

"Love You" female screams from stage left
M - "Could You Demonstrate" (pause) "QUICKLY !"
Audience Laughs...

TRACK - SPENT THE DAY IN BED
"The news contrives to frighten you.."
> Yep, sure does. Superb Song, keyboards, Vocals and backing vocals.

TRACK - SPEEDWAY "When You SLAM down the hammer, can you delve so-lo"
> oh yes. So LO. And Still Superb.

TRACK - ISTANBUL
> Superb.

TRACK - GANGLORD
"Even In Catalonia, The Police Can Be Bribed....."
> Still Superb

TRACK - JACKY's ALWAYS HAPPY WHEN SHE'S ON THE STAGE
"Since She Lost You, She's determined to prove how she can build up her page..."
"Cue Lights..Everybody is running to the exit"

> This band are fantastic live - these Guitars sound lush (that means superb !)

TRACK - BACK ON THE CHAIN GANG
"I found a picture of you, it high-jacked my world at night..."

M - "That song was originally written by B. Hynde, as she's known by her family (pause) and her local vicar..."

> Superb Cover. Superb vocals and drumming.

TRACK - WPINOYB
>Still Superb.

TRACK - THE BULL-FIGHTER DIES
"Free Catalona from Spain. Free the Bull from Spain. Free Everyone from Spain."
> Still Superb.

M - "Thank You to 6 Music for inviting us along today. We don't get many invitations...so it's nice to get in the bus." "This is a song called When You Open Your Legs (pause).. It's about cycling..."

TRACK - WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR LEGS

"Everything I know, deserts me now, when you open your legs..."
"I see it all, as plain as day, as people give, so long as they receive...soon."
> Superb.

"Obviously that will be chopped..."
> It's not obvious. The musical composition on this track is fantastic - it rises and falls with great pulsating crescendos of multi-layered instruments, each with perfect tone.
Magical.

TRACK - JACK THE RIPPER
"Crash into my arms.. I want you."

> With reverb, great drums and timing. Still Superb.

M - "My shocking career. Not shocking at all. Quite nice. I'll just check my notes... (pause) one
brown loaf......."

TRACK - HOME IS A QUESTION MARK
"Because I haven't met YOU. I've wined and I've dined, with every bogus music mogul. No Sign Of You...."
"If I ever get there..... do you really think I will, do you really think I will."

> Listen. LISTEN. Magical Morrissey.

Hazard
x

Would you mind licking my asshole clean with that same fervor...my bidet is on the fritz.

Back
Top Bottom