Disasterpieces

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
Half of 'You Are the Quarry' for me.

For me, I don't really like Bobby right now, because of Thelma Houston's vocals .
Many don't like People are the same.. , but I think it's a nice catchy number. And Thelma doesn't sing there.

Songs that I find hard to listen to are:
1 The Kid's a Locker
2 Sorrow will find us in the end
3 Ambitious Outsiders
4 Sweetie Pie
5 Who will protect us from the police?

People are the same everywhere (I actually find the lyrics funny) and The song doesn't end (has a decent chorus) ave there better parts which makes them still bearable to me, but they are far from great indeed.

For me, I don't really like Bobby right now, because of Thelma Houston's vocals .
Many don't like People are the same.. , but I think it's a nice catchy number. And Thelma doesn't sing there.

If it had got a proper studio recording I’m sure people would have been less harsh about it.

I hate the songs In Your Lap and The Girl From Tel Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel.

Israel has good lyrics but no melody.

I Bury The Living misses the mark.

Lover To Be is terrible.

Everything else is great. Especially Knockabout World.

On The Streets I Ran
Children in Pieces
Journalists Who Lie
Found Found Found
Sorry Doesn't Help
All The Young People Must Fall in Love

I hate the songs In Your Lap and The Girl From Tel Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel.

Israel has good lyrics but no melody.

I Bury The Living misses the mark.

Lover To Be is terrible.

Everything else is great. Especially Knockabout World.

Agree with the rest, but disagree strongly with Israel. It's one of the most gorgeous songs Morrissey has ever released, even though I find the lyrics naive.

'Kiss Me a Lot'. Bland, empty-headed shite, with no reediming features. Makes 'She loves you, yeah yeah yeah' seem like a deep intellectual statement.

'Kiss Me a Lot'. Bland, empty-headed shite, with no reediming features. Makes 'She loves you, yeah yeah yeah' seem like a deep intellectual statement.

Agree. I don't have any problem with Morrissey doing a throwaway pop song now and then, but the actual tune would have to be a killer. Kiss Me a Lot is very pedestrian and forgettable.

Agree with the rest, but disagree strongly with Israel. It's one of the most gorgeous songs Morrissey has ever released, even though I find the lyrics naive.
I actually find the lyrics really moving. I thought that song was one of the few redeeming features from the previous album. There was a lot of silly knee-jerk stuff citing politics but for once I thought it was misplaced. For me, it's clearly all about gay rights and his torment about growing up Catholic and 'huma'.

Agree. I don't have any problem with Morrissey doing a throwaway pop song now and then, but the actual tune would have to be a killer. Kiss Me a Lot is very pedestrian and forgettable.
Funny, I love Kiss Me A Lot. Not because of the lyrics, they're entirely forgettable but the vocal delivery and tune are very catchy. I still play it quite often.

Funny, I love Kiss Me A Lot. Not because of the lyrics, they're entirely forgettable but the vocal delivery and tune are very catchy. I still play it quite often.
I hate those trumpet scales running up and down, much as I hate the running scale of the vocal in People are the Same Everywhere. It's like they couldn't be bothered to think of a decent riff/vocal melody between them. Disclaimer: that makes it sound like I would otherwise like KMAL, when in fact I think it's shite. Just for the sake of clarity :)

People Are The Same Everywhere is by far the worst song Morrissey has ever done.
The fact that he called it "a fantastic song", and even chose to perform it at the Nobel ceremony (along with his mediocre cover of Satellite of Love) is perhaps the most striking example of his occasional lapses into cloth-eared, pig-headed perversity.
I like to think that was an epic moment of trolling. I still remember the first time I heard that 2011 radio session, where Morrissey unveiled three new songs - two of which were amongst the shittest I'd ever heard from him - 'People are the Same Everywhere' and 'The Kid's a Looker'. That was really a low point. I couldn't understand how he'd let material this poor be released. What was he hearing in these songs?

There are lots of tracks I might think are weak or I don't like, but in the same way that I think a great song is not the same as a masterpiece, I think a disasterpiece has an overblown, huge great hulking crapness in a league all of its own.

Disasterpieces:
Large chunks of World Peace (special place in hell reserved for title track)
Who Will Protect us from the Police (unlistenable)
America is not the World
Don't make fun of Daddy's voice (what the actual f*** is this about??)
The Secret of Music (irrespective of the self-indulgent music, those rhymes are unforgiveable)
Sorrow will come in the end (narrating your own lyrics is surely one step away from referring to yourself in the third person)
EDIT: Ooops! How could I forget the horror of I Bury the Living?

Last edited:
I like to think that was an epic moment of trolling. I still remember the first time I heard that 2011 radio session, where Morrissey unveiled three new songs - two of which were amongst the shittest I'd ever heard from him - 'People are the Same Everywhere' and 'The Kid's a Looker'. That was really a low point. I couldn't understand how he'd let material this poor be released. What was he hearing in these songs?

What's really odd to me personally is that Action Is My Middle Name is actually one of my favourite Morrissey songs.
How did he record that at the same time as People Are The Same Everywhere and the subpar The Kid's A Looker?

What's really odd to me personally is that Action Is My Middle Name is actually one of my favourite Morrissey songs.
How did he record that at the same time as People Are The Same Everywhere and the subpar The Kid's A Looker?
It's all subjective, I know, but I've always tended to group those three together as Supreme Clunkers. They all feel like they're from the same lazy-arse stable, to me. Each to their own, I guess :lbf:

I would put almost every single track from 2006 to the present day in the "disasterpieces" category.

In the biggest poll ever of all 250 (or so) Smiths and post-Smiths songs, 'Kid's a Looker' and 'People are the Same' came out as the worst and second worst songs he's ever sung. Morrissey is not a musician (his words). He sometimes just doesn't realise how awful his songs are. In 97 and 99 he played Roy Keen at almost every show. A few years later he realised how dismal the song really was and took it off the album completely. The tragedy of his solo years is that he makes all the musical decisions - at least in the Smiths it was a joint choice, and the other person was actually a musician.

In the biggest poll ever of all 250 (or so) Smiths and post-Smiths songs, 'Kid's a Looker' and 'People are the Same' came out as the worst and second worst songs he's ever sung. Morrissey is not a musician (his words). He sometimes just doesn't realise how awful his songs are. In 97 and 99 he played Roy Keen at almost every show. A few years later he realised how dismal the song really was and took it off the album completely. The tragedy of his solo years is that he makes all the musical decisions - at least in the Smiths it was a joint choice, and the other person was actually a musician.
Similar thing happened in 2004 with "I'm Playing Easy to Get" and "Noise is the Best Revenge" which were both pretty lousy, but better than the aforementioned trio.

Back
Top Bottom