Did you respond to an article in the NME about 21 or 22 years ago?

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
There was an advertisement in the back of the NME. Fans needed to help with a research project on The Smiths. It was for a university degree, and the chap concerned was Karl Maton. Karl now lives in Australia. I was one of those who wrote to him all those years ago. Over the past few years, I've been in touch with him on and off, and met up with him at the Manchester conference (three/four years ago, I think). Karl was speaking at the conference about his experience in being contacted by Smiths fans from around the world, and his presentation will be included in an upcoming book (a shorter version/draft can be found on his web-page here. Karl still has a big box full of all the letters and correspondence, but has resisted delving into it. Perhaps till now.

Anyway...

We wonder if the fans who wrote to Karl all those years ago are still around? Still fans? How has their life changed? Are they still here, or have they moved away? So many questions...We think it would be a wonderful thing to find out. So, if any of you are out there, could you stick your hands in the air, or send me a PM, or an e-mail to [email protected], or if you know someone who did respond to that article, would you give them a nudge, and ask them to get in touch?

We think it would make a wonderful book.

Cheers,

Peter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom