DEATH PENALTY - WHY?

H

Hatchet Man

Can anyone explain what the point is.
In states where the death penalty is applied, the murder rate is as high, in some cases higher, than where it is not.
It certainly isn't a deterrent.
Is it just to save feeding these individuals.
Also, how can you excuse Bush executing mentally retarded people?

> Can anyone explain what the point is.
> In states where the death penalty is applied, the murder rate is as high,
> in some cases higher, than where it is not.
> It certainly isn't a deterrent.
> Is it just to save feeding these individuals.
> Also, how can you excuse Bush executing mentally retarded people?
Acually do you know how much is costs to house inmates on death row? 1 million dollars per inmate! So it certainly isn't to save feeding them. I get the death penalty thing I just don't get why it takes so long to get it over with. And what mentally handicapped person did Bush execute?

> Acually do you know how much is costs to house inmates on death row? 1
> million dollars per inmate! So it certainly isn't to save feeding them. I
> get the death penalty thing I just don't get why it takes so long to get
> it over with. And what mentally handicapped person did Bush execute?

No too long ago there was a black guy who was declared retarded but Bush would not reprieve him.

> No too long ago there was a black guy who was declared retarded but Bush
> would not reprieve him.
Really...Interesting, what on earth did he do to deserve that?

> Really...Interesting, what on earth did he do to deserve that?

I believe he had murdered someone, but nonetheless, he was insane.

Why don't democrats stop being hypocrites in their attacks on Bush

> No too long ago there was a black guy who was declared retarded but Bush
> would not reprieve him.

I don't know if Texas executed a retarded person when Bush was governor (they very well may have), but I do know that when Bill Clinton was running for the Democratic Party nomination in 1991 he felt a need to look "tough on crime" (to separate himself from the previous Democrat nominee and loser, Dukakis), and he felt the need to do something to respond to the Gennifer Flowers scandal, and so he went back to Arkansas where he was governor in order to do a CAMPAIGN STOP PHOTO-OP EXECUTION of a black man named Ricky Ray Rector who was so retarded and brain damaged that when he was given his last meal he asked if he could save some for later.

Of course, since Clinton is a Democrat, this wasn't given much mainstream media coverage. Nor was the fact that his Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act extended capital punishment and made it more likely innocent people would be killed.

Say what you want about Bush as governor, he never did anything as bad as the Ricky Ray Rector episode. Bush was carrying out Texas law, and not using executions for campaign stunts.

Now some say capital punishment is immoral. I'm undecided on the issue, and am currently leaning towards favoring it in cases where heinously murderous crimes are proven beyond all doubt.

But what I found curious was John Kerry's stance on the issue. He considers the death penalty immoral. He also used to consider executing terrorists equally immoral. Then, when he was planning to run for president he realized his votes on executing terrorism could be controversial, so he flip-flopped and revised his moral code to include a narrow terrorist exception. If you ask me, if the death penalty is immoral for a serial killer, it's immoral for a terrorist. That would be logical and consistant. LAbelling someone a "terrorist" doesn't suddenly make executions moral. However, when you're a pwoer hungry Democrat, logic, morality, and consistancy are thrown out the window. All that mattered was that John Kerry wanted to be president since he was 14 years old and he would con his way in any way he had to.

Thankfully he failed.

> I believe he had murdered someone, but nonetheless, he was insane.
Thats too bad, I believe that if someone doesn't understand what they did was wrong and they can't understand why they are being put to death then it shouldn't happen. But as for every other murderer who you know damn well understood what they did was wrong, they should die, but it shouldn't take 25 years to get it done. Personally I think they should die the same way they killed their victims, but what do they get, just to go to sleep?

Re: Why don't democrats stop being hypocrites in their attacks on Bush

> I don't know if Texas executed a retarded person when Bush was governor
> (they very well may have), but I do know that when Bill Clinton was
> running for the Democratic Party nomination in 1991 he felt a need to look
> "tough on crime" (to separate himself from the previous Democrat
> nominee and loser, Dukakis), and he felt the need to do something to
> respond to the Gennifer Flowers scandal, and so he went back to Arkansas
> where he was governor in order to do a CAMPAIGN STOP PHOTO-OP EXECUTION of
> a black man named Ricky Ray Rector who was so retarded and brain damaged
> that when he was given his last meal he asked if he could save some for
> later.

> Of course, since Clinton is a Democrat, this wasn't given much mainstream
> media coverage. Nor was the fact that his Anti-Terrorism and Effective
> Death Penalty Act extended capital punishment and made it more likely
> innocent people would be killed.

> Say what you want about Bush as governor, he never did anything as bad as
> the Ricky Ray Rector episode. Bush was carrying out Texas law, and not
> using executions for campaign stunts.

> Now some say capital punishment is immoral. I'm undecided on the issue,
> and am currently leaning towards favoring it in cases where heinously
> murderous crimes are proven beyond all doubt.

> But what I found curious was John Kerry's stance on the issue. He
> considers the death penalty immoral. He also used to consider executing
> terrorists equally immoral. Then, when he was planning to run for
> president he realized his votes on executing terrorism could be
> controversial, so he flip-flopped and revised his moral code to include a
> narrow terrorist exception. If you ask me, if the death penalty is immoral
> for a serial killer, it's immoral for a terrorist. That would be logical
> and consistant. LAbelling someone a "terrorist" doesn't suddenly
> make executions moral. However, when you're a pwoer hungry Democrat,
> logic, morality, and consistancy are thrown out the window. All that
> mattered was that John Kerry wanted to be president since he was 14 years
> old and he would con his way in any way he had to.

> Thankfully he failed.

I fully agree with the Kerry point.
You are either for or against no matter what.
I really cant see any justification for it though.

We know many times cases that appear "beyond reasonable doubt" prove otherwise.
There have been a few in England when they still used it.
Just not worth the risk in my opinion.
I also believe its totally immoral.
As for terrorists, the old adage "another mans freedom fighter" comes to mind.

Re: Why don't democrats stop being hypocrites in their attacks on Bush

> I fully agree with the Kerry point.
> You are either for or against no matter what.
> I really cant see any justification for it though.

> We know many times cases that appear "beyond reasonable doubt"
> prove otherwise.

To me, the best argument against the death penalty is the chance innocent people will get killed. So, given the flaws of the legal system, I only feel okay with executions when I'm absolutely sure the person is guilty.

Taking an extreme example, I see no reason why Saddam Hussein's life should be spared, and I look forward to his trial and execution. In fact, it would be a crime NOT to kill him.

> There have been a few in England when they still used it.
> Just not worth the risk in my opinion.
> I also believe its totally immoral.
> As for terrorists, the old adage "another mans freedom fighter"
> comes to mind.

I don't get how it's "totally immoral." Most of the countries that banned the death penalty (maybe all of them, I haven't checked) did so against the will of the majority of the people. For example, a solid majority of Canadians favored the death penalty, but their government didn't much care about democracy (liberals tend to be that way).

I think Europe turned against the death penalty due to their recent history with totalitarianisms, where governments exectued people left and right for evil reasons.

In cases of heinous crimes where there's extraordinarily solid evidence of guilt (DNA, video), I can't see much reason NOT to kill the person. Part of justice is punishment.

In this Scott Peterson case, I would oppose it.

OJ Simpson, however, not only should've been convicted, he should've fried.
Despite his stupid jury, I am absolutely 100% sure he is guilty. And I know if I were fred Goldman I would have hunted down OJ and killed him myself by now.

Timothy McVeigh also deserved to die. However, in that case I might've held off a few more years until we were sure we got every bit of info from him about accomplices as we could.

Rickey Ray Rector had full use of his faculties...

You're leaving out a key point in the Rickey Ray Rector story. He was not cognitively impaired at the time that he shot and killed the police officer. It was only after his botched attempt to kill himself, that he became brain damaged.

http://www.commondreams.org/views02/1112-04.htm

There really is a good reason... sort of.

Tests have shown it to be 100% effective in preventing recidivism.

On the other hand, there has yet to be a case in which the convicted person has had their sentence commuted once it has been served.

Since the number of people who have concern over the first matter greatly outnumber those who fear the second, the majority tyranizes again!

Thankfully I live in a country which has out-evolved the need to have retribution as a function of sentencing.

Then again I would wish only the most painful and absolute death upon anyone who took the life of my child.

Back
Top Bottom