Crap Bands

I find music incredibly depressing nowadays. It's either incredibly serious or completely silly. There is no balance. There is nobody to really look up to, no icon as such.

You have the likes of Kate Nash being credited as a genius...I mean she's absololutely appalling. I'm not that surprised that her boyfriend would call her a "bitch" and all that crap that's in her lyrics. The list goes on...Fall Out Boy, Klaxons, The Enemy, Hard-Fi etc.

Franz Ferdinand and The Divine Comedy are the only contemporary bands I can really tolerate. Because they can write cool pop songs without being inane or far too self-indulgent. Then there is Sparks and Scott Walker, who even in their elder years are making really innovative pop music that's really quite fantastic. It's bizarre, because they are doing what the youth should be doing.

It's just a shame I'm in my teens, because by being that age there has never been a moment were I have put on the TV and gone "Wow, that's amazing".

Edit* I also enjoy The Hives. They've got character and a fantastic sense of humour.

Last edited:
You have the likes of Kate Nash being credited as a genius

*ahem* allow me to post some sample lyrics, so the forum can see how much of a genius she is for themselves...

"I have a family / And I drink cups of tea"

"I like to play, play, I like to play/ I play all day long in my room"

"Why are you being a dickhead for/
Stop being a dickhead/ You're just f***ing up situations
"

"Don't tell me that you didn't try and check out my bum/ Cause I know that you did/
Cause your friend told me that you liked it
"

"Having asthma it can be so annoying/
Yeah but at least you haven't got other diseases and shit
"

I could say more, but you get the general idea..

Anyway, my on-topic contribution to the thread:

Crap bands...

Panic! at the Disco
Fall Out Boy
The Kooks
The Feeling
The Fratellis
Razorlight
Babyshambles
Guns'n'Roses
AC/DC

etc etc etc

I do not feel that Guns and Roses is a crap band. Not at all.

Play guitar hero, then you'll get it...its fun!!!

Last edited:
Rilo Kiley
Sufjan Stevens
Bright Eyes
Animal Collective
TV on the Radio
[whichever hip hop artist is being acclaimed by white critics as reinventing the genre at the moment--is it M.I.A., now? used to be Kanye.]

Anything Pitchfork likes, basically.

And in the long run, various suicides postumously overrated.

Mcfly, if you can call it a band.

and most of the things to crawl out of reality TV.

*ahem* allow me to post some sample lyrics, so the forum can see how much of a genius she is for themselves...

"I have a family / And I drink cups of tea"

"I like to play, play, I like to play/ I play all day long in my room"

"Why are you being a dickhead for/
Stop being a dickhead/ You're just f***ing up situations
"

"Don't tell me that you didn't try and check out my bum/ Cause I know that you did/
Cause your friend told me that you liked it
"

"Having asthma it can be so annoying/
Yeah but at least you haven't got other diseases and shit
"

I could say more, but you get the general idea..

Anyway, my on-topic contribution to the thread:

Crap bands...

Panic! at the Disco
Fall Out Boy
The Kooks
The Feeling
The Fratellis
Razorlight
Babyshambles
Guns'n'Roses
AC/DC

etc etc etc

Haha...:D

I also concur with your list.

Although I find Ac/Dc to be tolerable as all they were trying to acheive was to play nice, upbeat rock'n'roll tunes. They wern't egotistical and I'm sure they didn't take themselves serious.

Guns'N'Roses make me sick :(

Sunn.

At least the show I saw. They had a pretty good concept going, and they quickly ran it into the ground.

Self-indulgent, pretentious, blacker-than-black drone metal comedians. If you are going to wear cowled robes and drink all night, you'd better deliver sonic devastation, or you are just going to look silly.

Still, I've heard they can be quite good, when they bother.

Green Day - A trio of spineless, soulless arseholes with no f***ing clue what punk is or was. If they did, they wouldn't be peddling their asinine "Ooh, I'm a rebel look at meee!!" shite to 12 year olds who shop at Hot Topic and think they're some sort of political revolutionary because they bought an anti-Bush t-shirt. Nor would they be signed to Warner for Christ's sake. There are, in the words of John Lydon, "a wank outfit".

Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne, Sum 41, Blink 182 etc. - See above.

Marilyn Manson - Bad Rozz Williams impersonator.

Kaiser Chiefs - Aural rape. Kill me now.

Foo Fighters - Their entire back catalogue is fairly mundane but everything after The Colour and the Shape is simply horrendous.

Coldplay - Smug celebrity c***s. Even more annoying and self-righteous than U2, if that's possible.

:)

Any noise made by someone with the last name Spears, Simpson, Hilton or Lohan.
'ho hate :mad:

lol :D

Green Day - A trio of spineless, soulless arseholes with no f***ing clue what punk is or was. If they did, they wouldn't be peddling their asinine "Ooh, I'm a rebel look at meee!!" shite to 12 year olds who shop at Hot Topic and think they're some sort of political revolutionary because they bought an anti-Bush t-shirt. Nor would they be signed to Warner for Christ's sake. There are, in the words of John Lydon, "a wank outfit".

Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne, Sum 41, Blink 182 etc. - See above.

Marilyn Manson - Bad Rozz Williams impersonator.

Kaiser Chiefs - Aural rape. Kill me now.

Foo Fighters - Their entire back catalogue is fairly mundane but everything after The Colour and the Shape is simply horrendous.

Coldplay - Smug celebrity c***s. Even more annoying and self-righteous than U2, if that's possible.

:)

Yeah so Green Day sold out. I dont think they are spineless though. If anything they are helping today's youth actually give a shit about what happens to our country. If bands like them were not in the mainstream, every 13 year old kid in the US will still have their heads in the asses listening to pop that just makes them want to drink crunk juice and bone each other. Which will happen anyway. Why not provide music that might make them think as well.

I stopped listening to Green Day a while ago because I didnt like the direction they went in musically. And many people will say oh well they sold out because they signed to a major label etc. But at the same time if they weren't the ones on a major label it would be some bullshit act that has nothing important or smart to say. So in that aspect, I'm thankful that Green Day got the success they have in the past few years.

we all know that the root of all evil is is Kasbian and Hard FI

...altho the funniest thing ive read all year was "Kasbian? its just Kula Shaker for Nuts/Zoo readers!"

Hey now, let's leave Pitchfork out of this, I happen to think they're quite a good barometer of musical quality...:eek:;)

The tiresome consensus on what's good taste (sensitive muttering by boys who went to progressive schools and nickname themselves "Marsupial" or something) is exactly what I was taking issue with.

Most everyone else is this thread is trashing bands who aren't respected anyway. "Britney sucks!" Well, aren't you the rebel!

Yeah so Green Day sold out. I dont think they are spineless though. If anything they are helping today's youth actually give a shit about what happens to our country. If bands like them were not in the mainstream, every 13 year old kid in the US will still have their heads in the asses listening to pop that just makes them want to drink crunk juice and bone each other. Which will happen anyway. Why not provide music that might make them think as well.

I stopped listening to Green Day a while ago because I didnt like the direction they went in musically. And many people will say oh well they sold out because they signed to a major label etc. But at the same time if they weren't the ones on a major label it would be some bullshit act that has nothing important or smart to say. So in that aspect, I'm thankful that Green Day got the success they have in the past few years.

Yes but I don't think it's very helpful to be telling the youth of the nation to be individuals and to rebel... by voting Democrat. They're not exactly encouraging a wide range of political opinions or getting kids to read more about lots of different points of view; they're acting as if the only choice is the puppet on the left or the puppet on the right. It's not actually challenging anything, just reinforcing the status quo in a slightly different way than Britney et al.

It's not as if I'd dislike a band purely because they're signed to a major label; there are plenty of bands I love who're signed to some subsidiary of the 'Big Four'. I'm OK with this. What I'm not OK with is a band who claims to be punk lining up along with everyone else to be f***ed by the industry. It's a spit in the face for punk ideology and anyone who actually believes in it.

MIKA - Big girls

'Walks in to the room
Feels like a big balloon
I said, 'Hey girls you are beautiful'
Diet coke and a pizza please
Diet coke I'm on my knees

You take your girl
And multiply her by four
Now a whole lot of woman
Needs a whole lot more

My brother works for a big record shop chain, he says that mostly fatties came in and bought this song he said he thought that they should start selling candy at the counter so that they could repare the damage done to the floor! ROFL!!!!!!

I'm off now to write a song about fatties and make millions.

Wedding music at best!

Yes but I don't think it's very helpful to be telling the youth of the nation to be individuals and to rebel... by voting Democrat.

Voting democrat as a form of rebellion is pretty poor, unless you're william buckley's kid, but then you'd have bigger problems.

They're not exactly encouraging a wide range of political opinions or getting kids to read more about lots of different points of view; they're acting as if the only choice is the puppet on the left or the puppet on the right. It's not actually challenging anything, just reinforcing the status quo in a slightly different way than Britney et al.

Well they certainly wouldn't be expected to reinforce the opinions of the Bush administration, moreover it would be redundant. Every magazine cover, television screen screams it, it requires no illumination. Moreover, ahem, where this administration has been wrong about pretty much absolutely everything, while everything in the opposite direction might not be fabulous, but it'd be pretty hard to be worse. To they're credit, Green Day have gotten involved with some environmental group and Live Aid, which is pretty cool, alhough the albums' hyping as "revolutionary" is a gross overstatement. It only had, what? Two political numbers on there, and they didn't say anything that profound. Bad Religion communicates more, and more intelligently in a single song than that whole album. I suppose it'd be better if they'd included modern political essays and lists of organizations in the liner notes like Anti-Flag, or at least be like hey kids, read a book, preferably Noam Chomsky.

It's not as if I'd dislike a band purely because they're signed to a major label; there are plenty of bands I love who're signed to some subsidiary of the 'Big Four'. I'm OK with this. What I'm not OK with is a band who claims to be punk lining up along with everyone else to be f***ed by the industry. It's a spit in the face for punk ideology and anyone who actually believes in it.

Exactly, this is what upsets me. Not only is it a crap album, Green Day have transformed into what I never, EVER wanted them to be,...just another rock band. I don't know when Billie Joe decided to try to turn the band into Aerosmith but it was a terrible idea. Clearly, they've turned they're backs on punk, but are they still claiming to be punks? I don't know. And don't all the real punks realize the Green Day we loved is gone anyways? I'd still love to see 'em live. Hell, just by mathematics most of the set should be from the old albums. I still love 'em. I'll still listen to Kerplunk, Insomniac, Dookie, Nimrod (Warning OCCASIONALLY)... Goodbye Green Day, we loved you.

I'll add the Plain white t's, that damn song Hey there Deliha?? totally sucks and I hear it everyday. Saw the band on a New years eve show, they really suck and are super dorky.

Back
Top Bottom