Could or will AI artificially 'resurrect' the Smiths?!

Catholic

English Blood, Irish Heart
I don't have much time for this forum just now . . . but I post parts of an article that, tech-illiterate as I am, I cannot even fully understand!

From the first paragraphs:

It starts with a familiar intro, unmistakably the Weeknd’s 2017 hit “Die for You.” But as the first verse of the song begins, a different vocalist is heard: Michael Jackson. Or, at least, a machine simulation of the late pop star’s voice.

It’s just one example of how artificial intelligence is seeping into the music industry. Surf YouTube or TikTok and you'll find many convincing AI-made covers. The software covers.ai has a waiting list for new users.

If they can machine simulate Michael Jackson's voice, what would it take to machine simulate Morrissey's voice on a Marr track— Hi Hello or New Town Velocity say—and simulate something that sounded like a Rourke bass line, etc.?

If possible, the result would entirely lack Morrissey's soul, but potentially sound very much like The Smiths . . .

Scary stuff. I am not endorsing this! Indeed, I am barely even able to understand it—being too old for our nightmarish new world.

Also from the article:

There are many examples of artists working with AI, not in competition with it.

Musician Holly Herndon used AI to create a clone of her voice, which she calls Holly+, to sing in languages and styles she cannot. Herndon created it to keep sovereignty over her own voice, but as she told WIRED late last year, she also did it in the hope other artists would follow her lead.
[ . . .]
AI might become a perfect imitator, but it may not, on its own, create music that resonates with listeners. Our favorite songs capture heartbreak or speak to and shape the current culture; they break new ground during times of political upheaval. AI will have a role in writing, recording, and performing songs. But if people open music streamers and see too many AI-made . , they may not be able to connect.
The whole article is here: https://www.wired.com/story/ai-gene...yright/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

For some, it may be behind a paywall. It depends on how much you've downloaded from the site.

I won't be back for a little while but would be genuinely interested and grateful to hear any thoughtful/intelligent comments about this.

Will it resurrect The Smiths? Yes, is the short answer - along with every other deceased band.

The technology is not quite there yet - but the advances are getting so close it's scary, and surely only a matter of time. As an example of where we currently are, I saw a news article the other day about these AI voiced 'Beatles' songs, and the results are already pretty scary:

Give it 10 years and you probably won't be able to hear the difference between an AI generated Morrissey vocal and the real thing. I really think we are on the cusp of an entirely new cultural age, and the effects are going to be far-reaching. I think a lot of artists themselves will adopt the technology - using AI to 'de-age' their vocals, using it as another tool like Auto-Tune. Artists will also use it as a shortcut to write and generate new songs. It will generate plenty of crap, but they'll shift through the material and guide it. Less creators and more curators.

We'll be reading books written by AI, watching films scripted by AI, and probably starring Deep Fake style generated movie stars. Very little will be wholly human anymore. Whether this is a good thing is up for debate - probably not on the whole, and entire creative industries will be decimated - I think the technology will prove unstoppable once the genie is out of the bottle.

Will it resurrect The Smiths? Yes, is the short answer - along with every other deceased band.

The technology is not quite there yet - but the advances are getting so close it's scary, and surely only a matter of time. As an example of where we currently are, I saw a news article the other day about these AI voiced 'Beatles' songs, and the results are already pretty scary:

Give it 10 years and you probably won't be able to hear the difference between an AI generated Morrissey vocal and the real thing. I really think we are on the cusp of an entirely new cultural age, and the effects are going to be far-reaching. I think a lot of artists themselves will adopt the technology - using AI to 'de-age' their vocals, using it as another tool like Auto-Tune. Artists will also use it as a shortcut to write and generate new songs. It will generate plenty of crap, but they'll shift through the material and guide it. Less creators and more curators.

We'll be reading books written by AI, watching films scripted by AI, and probably starring Deep Fake style generated movie stars. Very little will be wholly human anymore. Whether this is a good thing is up for debate - probably not on the whole, and entire creative industries will be decimated - I think the technology will prove unstoppable once the genie is out of the bottle.

Could we use this to create Bonfire of Teenagers? Hahaha

Wonder what AI program this guy used. Incredible

People seem really pleased and exited in the comments section from the New song...

I have to say, "John's" voice doesn't sound much like him to me at all.
I do think they made Paul's voice sound younger in parts.

I don't really know how this stuff works, but I'm kinda surprised no one has already done "Hey, Mr AI - give me Elvis Presley's 'A Fool Such as I', but in the style of The Smiths'. Might be the closest we ever get to hearing it.

Maybe the version of RWA produced by Andrew Watt (that was ripped to shreds on here for alleged auto-tune), was an AI version, and not actually Moz? We all know Moz is at the forefront where technology is concerned...

Judging from these samples, AI still has a long way to go.

Edit: which is exactly what Zoom Zoom said earlier. Ouf!

This is AI liam Gallagher singing How Soon Is Now?

I am human and I need to be loved.... not bad for an AI voice.

I wonder if once AI takes over, it'll write things like
And if a massive powercut
Kills the both of us
To fry by your side
Such a heavenly way to die

Last edited:
I'm not very impressed with either the AI generated vocals or even worse, lyrics. I asked Google's "Bard" programme to write a song in the style of the Smiths and it was embarrassingly bad and clichéd. I also asked it to give Shakespeare a go and it didn't even use the appropriate English, just wrote a very generic love poem.

Who knows, maybe it will get better. That said, we always hear about "in the next ten years it will happen" and I think they've been promising that for decades. Still not quite happening is it?

It's also impossible to say with AI how good it will get because there is so much hype surrounding it. It's kind of funny to see full grown scientists preaching Armageddon or Utopia like a nutty Christian on the side of the road about this stuff.

Still, it will probably get good enough for people to "resurrecting" or "de-aging" bands and singers past or past it with some degree of credibility. Here's hoping that human beings care more about reality than the cheap fakery it brings. But given the current state of pop culture, I doubt that.

I'm still amazed that someone was able to make borderline studio quality sound on Lennon's Grow Old With Me, considering that song has only been released as a demo of poor quality. Really gives me hope for remastering songs
Edit: and demos that haven't been given proper releases

Hello guys. What's up? I found this nice cover made by using AI. Then I was wondering if there is something similar out there with songs by The Smiths, digitally sung and played by artists of the past.

I'm still amazed that someone was able to make borderline studio quality sound on Lennon's Grow Old With Me, considering that song has only been released as a demo of poor quality. Really gives me hope for remastering songs
Edit: and demos that haven't been given proper releases

I would prefer what I hear in my imagination
rather than hear an A.I’s version of a unreleased song.

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 03.18.34.png
https://virginradio.co.uk/music/97061/david-bowie-virtual-reality-concert

Not sure about AI but virtual reality (VR ) could, since its unlikely The Smiths are going to play another concert, resurect The Smiths. The Rick Astley covers at Glastonbury in comparison seem innocent. I thought it was clever what they did with ABBA and people liked it, The Smiths are a different type of band. They are thinking of doing a David Bowie VR concert, it would work possibly because hes no longer alive and he's more commerically publicized and symbolic, like ABBA. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to use The Beatles.

Overall I don't really like it and I don't think it would work for most bands like The Smiths, or Elvis Presley for some reason. It would be more scary than entertaining, and point more to the techonolgy and wouldn't be able to capture the actual thing.

They did a Van Gogh 'Immersive experience' on the Southbank in London and it looked fun and cool but didn't last very long and was empty of the presence and expression in his work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom