Charlotte Gainsbourg & Beck: Over the Influence

T

therightone

Ordinarily, one wouldn’t find an MRI to be a place of comfort, much less a source of musical imagery. But for French singer-songwriter and actress Charlotte Gainsbourg, this incredibly sterile and claustrophobic environment was the source of inspiration behind her newest full-length album, IRM. “Every time I was in that tube, I was thinking it would make great music,” Gainsbourg says. “I was very inspired by this rhythm section that flies off in all directions…It sounds like hammer blows. And it feels like it is here to make you react.” But just as this clinical device was the unlikely muse for Gainsbourg, she, in turn, was an equally as unlikely muse for American avant-garde performer, Beck. The two musicians met in Los Angeles two years ago and from there IRM (produced and co-written by Beck) took off. In the new issue, Gainsbourg and Beck discuss with FILTER the ins and outs of Gainsbourg family lineage, their shared love for working with writer-director Michel Gondry, and the collaboration process for IRM.

5o85u.jpg

I really liked the 5:55 album by Gainsbourg so I'll give it a listen. Not such a big fan of Beck.

Back
Top Bottom