Brown must go

ron-paul-2008.jpg

?:thumb:

Mandy is not a loon at all, he's just sleazy and amoral.

Ron Paul on the other hand, is full-on bat shit insane.

I was troubled by many left wingers and liberals supporting Paul in the last election, mainly in the primaries, but still.I think they mainly liked his anti war stance, which was admirable but they failed to see the dangers of his naive outlook on things, his accepting of money from white supremacy groups, his homophobia and his pro life stance.

They wouldn't vote for a republican but liked him, odd.

I was troubled by many left wingers and liberals supporting Paul in the last election, mainly in the primaries, but still.I think they mainly liked his anti war stance, which was admirable but they failed to see the dangers of his naive outlook on things, his accepting of money from white supremacy groups, his homophobia and his pro life stance.

They wouldn't vote for a republican but liked him, odd.

It's OT but yeah, it was the strangest thing. His insufferable spamming paulbots made every forum a cesspool of anarcho-capitalist nonsense for about six months until he crashed and burned in an entirely predictable way. The strange amalgam of anti-war liberals, paleo-conservatives and the militia right was both bizarre and, in the end, f***ing tedious.

It will make virtually no difference. The two parties are, ideologically, almost inseparable. We have the most right-wing Labour party in the history of politics competing with the most left-wing Conservative party ever.
This is nothing like the politics of the 80's/early 90's when there were genuine ideological differences between the two parties.

I know this is a fashionable stance to take "oh, they're all the same" but it simply isn't true. The Tories are not any more "left-wing" than they were during Thatcher's time. Despite some hand-waving in regards to environmentalism, their social policies remain rooted in the Thatcherite dream of economic liberalism and social conservatism. There is no doubt they will begin to attack the minimum wage and income help for those at the bottom while opposing stricter regualtion against those at the top of the pyramid.

As others have mentioned, Labour have done a number of disagreeable things but every one of their biggest mistakes was supported by the Tories and all of their successes were opposed by them.

I know this is a fashionable stance to take "oh, they're all the same" but it simply isn't true. The Tories are not any more "left-wing" than they were during Thatcher's time. Despite some hand-waving in regards to environmentalism, their social policies remain rooted in the Thatcherite dream of economic liberalism and social conservatism. There is no doubt they will begin to attack the minimum wage and income help for those at the bottom while opposing stricter regualtion against those at the top of the pyramid.

As others have mentioned, Labour have done a number of disagreeable things but every one of their biggest mistakes was supported by the Tories and all of their successes were opposed by them.

I agree. Still, I think the Labour Party need to be taught a lesson and shown that they can't abandon their core supporter. For that reason I almost certainly won't be voting Labour in the next election.

I agree. Still, I think the Labour Party need to be taught a lesson and shown that they can't abandon their core supporter. For that reason I almost certainly won't be voting Labour in the next election.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not a labour voter and haven't been since my first election in 2001 but the few progressive things they have done , I felt deserved some praise. I'll be voting for the Lib Dems again next time personally, because I feel they are proposing a moderately progressive economic plan but without Labour's authoritarian tendency. This authoritarian (or paternalistic) streak is probably the biggest flaw in the labour party for me.

Last edited:
I'm not really convinced that any of the potential leaders likely to be running in the next election are the right ones. I don't trust them because I don't believe that there going to act in the general population's interests, nor are they going to stop bashing each other. Then again I was brought up to question every politician. :p

It's not acceptable to be right wing anymore and Labour can no longer rely on the working class vote. That's why they're growing ever closer. It's not just the parties who have lost their values.

There are the few who still only see in black and white (or red and blue) though, and that mentality poses a bit of a problem now doesn't it.

I'd just like everyone to think for themselves really.

It's 2009. You don't work down a mine, and the Tories actually pledge to tax the wealthy more this time.

It's not acceptable to be right wing anymore and Labour can no longer rely on the working class vote. That's why they're growing ever closer. It's not just the parties who have lost their values.

Social class hasn't been a key determinant of voting preference in the U.K. since the early 1970s. In fact, it's never been as important as you've implied.

There are the few who still only see in black and white (or red and blue) though, and that mentality poses a bit of a problem now doesn't it.

Not really, no.

I'd just like everyone to think for themselves really.

I'd just like you to think.

Back
Top Bottom