At least Morrissey didn't join the 27 club!

Neither did Amy Winehouse. Not enough talent. She's in the subsection of "other musicians who died at 27."

If morrissey died at 27 that would have been 1986.

Studio Albums
The Smiths
Meat Is Murder
The Queen is Dead

Singles:
Hand in Glove
This Charming Man
What Difference Does It Make
William It Was Really Nothing
How Soon Is Now
Shakespeares Sister
That Joke isn't Funny Anymore
Panic
Ask

(singles released to specifically support albums not included)

That would be all we had.

That leaves a LOT of amazing stuff that would never have existed.

Neither did Amy Winehouse. Not enough talent. She's in the subsection of "other musicians who died at 27."

If morrissey died at 27 that would have been 1986.

Studio Albums
The Smiths
Meat Is Murder
The Queen is Dead

Singles:
Hand in Glove
This Charming Man
What Difference Does It Make
William It Was Really Nothing
How Soon Is Now
Shakespeares Sister
That Joke isn't Funny Anymore
Panic
Ask

(singles released to specifically support albums not included)

That would be all we had.

That leaves a LOT of amazing stuff that would never have existed.

Actually, thinking about it, he could have died the day before his 28th birthday in 1987 - so the entire output of The Smiths would exist, although nothing of his solo career. Which would probably delight certain people on here. :)

I kinda like singer Billy Bragg's take on the 27 club: 'It's not the age that Hendrix, Jones, Joplin, Cobain and Amy have in common - it's drug abuse, sadly #27club.'

Other than a stiff drink every so often and a spliff here or there, I don't think Morrissey was ever in danger of being in that club.

Hmmm........Ian Curtis was 24 and Nick Drake was 26. All we can learn from this is that young musicians have various emotional/mental problems coping with thier lifestyle/status. It seems to be generally around thier mid twenties rather than some specific, magical number. :straightface:

Hmmm........Ian Curtis was 24 and Nick Drake was 26. All we can learn from this is that young musicians have various emotional/mental problems coping with thier lifestyle/status. It seems to be generally around thier mid twenties rather than some specific, magical number. :straightface:

Well, I agree. I think depending on your personal preference you will find a lot of people in the industry not reaching their 30ies. I would think there is not a specific higher number of deaths at 27 years of age though. It's all media sensation I'd reckon.

As far as I'm aware Morrissey rather lived a relatively healthy life (taking aside his depressions). So it's not surprising that he is still in good shape like most people are in the biz today really.

Last edited:
I have always been glad Morrissey "lacked resolve" and lived past the age of 50. :)

It's tad disturbing how fast Winehouse's name made it on the wikipedia page.

Back
Top Bottom