At last some proper news from the (nearly) horses mouth

this is great! i can`t wait for the new album and the tour of course, hopefully he`ll come to mexico, oh god that would be so great, but i`m not sure about the greatest hits album,i mean how many g.h albums by morrissey they have realeased?,i have two of them and i don`t want to buy another :rolleyes:,but i think we must buy it so..... :D

Moz write-up in, US Billboard mag Nov 10 issue...

pg. 14. full 1/2 pg write up. there's mention of 2 albums to come out in 2008.

Recording Information

Does anyone know if Mozz has gone into the studio yet to record the new album? Or more likely when he is?

Re: Recording Information

Does anyone know if Mozz has gone into the studio yet to record the new album? Or more likely when he is?

mel also reported that Morrissey and the lads were in the studio in LA until two days before January's French/UK tour.
They've already finished recordings I suppose.

Re: Recording Information

mel also reported that Morrissey and the lads were in the studio in LA until two days before January's French/UK tour.
They've already finished recordings I suppose.

But then I talked to Boz and Jesse at the GIAC gig @ the Hollywood Knitting Factory a couple of weeks ago. Jesse said he was putting down his tracks and that Solomon was next. Boz had just arrived in L.A. at the beginning of the week (of the GIAC gig) on Sunday (late Feb.). I gather Boz is responsible for a lot of the recording work, so I don't think they did much, if anything, without him. So they were working in L.A. again from late Feb. at least up through March.

My understanding of how Moz records is that he waits until the instrumental tracks are all done, then he puts down his vocals. He may or may not have been in L.A. when th'Lads were working on their parts that time. But I think he was probably around. Though later in March it's been obvious that he was not in L.A.

This shows how ignorant I am of how recording works. I thought they all went into the studio together, played some music, then went out to dinner.

I thought that all the tracks have been recorded live in the studio?

This shows how ignorant I am of how recording works. I thought they all went into the studio together, played some music, then went out to dinner.

Sometimes the songs are recorded all at once in the same studio with the mixing done live and no overdubs, e.g., Morrissey Live @ KROQ (though technically it wasn't at kroq itself, it was at the Capitol Records building studio, wasn't it?).

But for the producer to mix the sound the way it is desired, it's easier to record the components of the tracks separately. If you look at the vids from youtube, I think on the Old Grey Whistle Test (mebbe?) it shows the Smiths recording "Nowhere Fast" and "I Want the One I Can't Have" in the studio. Moz is in a soundbooth singing his bit. Mike Joyce is beating the bongos in another clip by himself in a soundbooth. And Johnny Marr is smoking a ciggy and strumming away by himself. But they are together at the mixing desk, deciding on what sounds good.

Oh, I found one part of it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uzCdf3Myazw
It doesn't have "I Want the One I Can't Have"

A week or so before the 2002 tour, Boz told me that the band rehearsed without Morrissey's vocals for 6 weeks prior to that week. Boz worked with the new drummer, Deano, to catch him up on the song repetoire.

If anyone read what the keyboard player said about the next album, it seems they are all recording together for this one.

But for the producer to mix the sound the way it is desired, it's easier to record the components of the tracks separately. If you look at the vids from youtube, I think on the Old Grey Whistle Test (mebbe?) it shows the Smiths recording "Nowhere Fast" and "I Want the One I Can't Have" in the studio. Moz is in a soundbooth singing his bit. Mike Joyce is beating the bongos in another clip by himself in a soundbooth. And Johnny Marr is smoking a ciggy and strumming away by himself. But they are together at the mixing desk, deciding on what sounds good.

I think those clips were mainly setups for the tv show. Certainly Morrissey was miming his part.

Well, regardless of how Morrissey has worked in the past, didn't he say somewhere that they had recorded a lot of the new album in the studio, with all of them performing together as a band?

Well, regardless of how Morrissey has worked in the past, didn't he say somewhere that they had recorded a lot of the new album in the studio, with all of them performing together as a band?

That doesn't necessarily mean they play their parts simultaneously. THey can still be a band together. I think maybe the keyboard player means it's the touring band and not just random session players.

EDIT: Whoops, Roger Manning does say they recorded it live and that it was a challenge to come up with things on the fly. But as I wrote in the next para, why did Jesse say in late Feb. that they were still recording their tracks separately when Manning says in early Feb. they had finished recording Mozzer's album? Boz also said independently that he had arrived in L.A. from Portugual that Sunday and that he was working on recording. My guess is that they re-grouped in L.A. after an earlier recording session to re-record or to record new material.

I don't think Jesse was taking the piss when he said he was doing his tracks, and then Solomon would be laying down his tracks the next week. That means they're recording their bits separately.

I didn't mean to say that the way the Smiths recorded is the way Morrissey does it now. But I wanted to give a visual example about how recording may be done, i.e., different bits being recorded by separate mics while the performer is listening to the other bits (simultaneously played or previously recorded) played through headphones so that their track is isolated so that when the producer wants to mix it up or down, it can be done easily.

Last edited:
Maybe the "recording sessions" in Nov. and Dec. that the new keyboard player mentioned were essentially demo sessions, where they roughed out the new songs. Then they could listen to them and decide in what direction they wanted to take each one, and map out what would need to be recorded.

So then perhaps the more recent sessions Mel heard about were the actual, for the record sessions.

I recently read an interview with a young band here in Chicago. They are all still working day jobs, and they had to record their latest album in pieces. They made huge charts listing every track that would be needed, and I think they said they took a year to record it all piecemeal. Kind of interesting. I have never given much thought to the technical requirements. The only music I have ever been involved in is live stuff--musicals and choirs. (So glamorous!)

I forget if it was RoTT with Visconti, or Quarry with Finn, but I recall one of them actually changed the way old Mogsy did his recording and it was all live...all the band together.

Prior to that time, Moz would go in after most of the other tracks were laid down and then do his part.

That was my perception anyway.

I forget if it was RoTT with Visconti, or Quarry with Finn, but I recall one of them actually changed the way old Mogsy did his recording and it was all live...all the band together.

Prior to that time, Moz would go in after most of the other tracks were laid down and then do his part.

That was my perception anyway.

Based on what Roger Manning wrote about working with Finn again on Mozzer's upcoming album, capturing on the fly and being more punk rock to play together and record live, I bet Finn changed the way Moz typically laid down tracks. Interesting, Seeker.

PFTLT has a very cogent explanation. Rough demos and then tracks re-recorded for a more polished production makes sense to me.

If the production was already finished, all tracks recorded, why is the release date so far ahead in the autumn? I've never heard of an album being released earlier than projected. Albums are usually released later than projected or just on time.

If the production was already finished, all tracks recorded, why is the release date so far ahead in the autumn? I've never heard of an album being released earlier than projected. Albums are usually released later than projected or just on time.

That could be a marketing decision. It might seem unwise to the record company to release the GH and then a new album three months apart.

Personally, I think anyone with a ticket stub from '07 or '08 should get a special advance copy... let's say, in June. Just in time for my birthday. ;) Oh, and if you have ten or more stubs, you get yours free. :D

Well assuming though that they are going to want a good 2 months of promotion and sound mixing plus all of those other details that come with releasing an album its quite plausible that the album could have been recorded now and still not come out til September...that being said I'm quite in doubt as to if it has been recorded

Back
Top Bottom