Astoria is going to shutdown

Yes Kewpie
I just looked The Astoria up in the excellent book 'Panic On The Streets', as Morrissey played there in 1992 and some of the songs appeared on the live 'Beethoven Is Deaf' album from that gig.

The author of the book states that it's lease runs out in 2008 and it will be demolished to make way for buildings to help with the 2012 Olympics.:mad:

I find it's quite an informative and useful book;)

Jukebox Jury

Yes Kewpie
I just looked The Astoria up in the excellent book 'Panic On The Streets', as Morrissey played there in 1992 and some of the songs appeared on the live 'Beethoven Is Deaf' album from that gig.

The author of the book states that it's lease runs out in 2008 and it will be demolished to make way for buildings to help with the 2012 Olympics.:mad:

I find it's quite an informative and useful book;)

Jukebox Jury

Wasn't it Brixton Academy that supplied those song's on Beethoven?
The Astoria is a cool theatre with a history but it's also externally an eyesore. Maybe Londoners would start a campaign to save it if someone gave it a lick of paint & took down the five year old fly posters.

Wasn't it Brixton Academy that supplied those song's on Beethoven?
The Astoria is a cool theatre with a history but it's also externally an eyesore. Maybe Londoners would start a campaign to save it if someone gave it a lick of paint & took down the five year old fly posters.

No, definately The Astoria, the gig was one or two days before the gig at the Zenith in Paris.

Jukebox Jury

oh well, nothing lasts forever. I saw Richard Hawley play there last month. I hadn't been in years. I saw James there once with the Happy Mondays as support (19 yrs ago:eek:). I saw the Las there and Bob Mould or was that when he was in Sugar? And the second from last gig Richey did with the Manics before he AWOL. I also used to pay tickets from there.

I also saw James, Happy Mondays and The Train Set in October 1988.
Mondays were really great that night.

Back
Top Bottom