Are your significant others/parents/friends/etc. Morrissey fans?

When I first heard the Smiths/Morrissey, I used to work for Ford motor company UK, and , when the Smiths broke "Big" in England, almost everyone else on the Mostly Male workforce wanted to kill him...they just did....( Mind you, they almost ALL wanted to Shag Boy George...hmmm...)....so, naturally, being something of a shrinking violet, I used to wear Smiths t-shirts to work , and buy pop mags just to use the pin-ups of the band as wallpaper in my workplace section.

In 1991, I took a Girlfriend at that time to see Morrissey live, and her only comment on our way home, when I asked what she thought of him/the gig was "He's got a nice arse". ( ..she preferred stuff like "Steps"...) :(.

Further Relationship-wise, I next met somebody in 2001, who I really got on with well, and, when I stayed over for the first time, I had a quick peek at their CD collection...The Smiths "Best" was there, and also "The Slider" by T.Rex...so I stayed......and am still there....:)

When I first heard the Smiths/Morrissey, I used to work for Ford motor company UK, and , when the Smiths broke "Big" in England, almost everyone else on the Mostly Male workforce wanted to kill him...they just did....( Mind you, they almost ALL wanted to Shag Boy George...hmmm...)....so, naturally, being something of a shrinking violet, I used to wear Smiths t-shirts to work , and buy pop mags just to use the pin-ups of the band as wallpaper in my workplace section.

In 1991, I took a Girlfriend at that time to see Morrissey live, and her only comment on our way home, when I asked what she thought of him/the gig was "He's got a nice arse". ( ..she preferred stuff like "Steps"...) :(.

Further Relationship-wise, I next met somebody in 2001, who I really got on with well, and, when I stayed over for the first time, I had a quick peek at their CD collection...The Smiths "Best" was there, and also "The Slider" by T.Rex...so I stayed......and am still there....:)

Interesting that you capitalize the word girlfriend.

My brother hated M's voice. Probably still does. And he had to hear to it very often. (Bear in mind those were record-players days...)

That's a bit unfair, because I never criticized Huey Lewis and the News...That's probably because I liked them. :eek:

I'm an easy listener. :) I can put up with almost anything...

PS/ My bro had nothing against the music. Just the voice. I reckon it's fear of gay blokes. Mmm...

Interesting that you capitalize the word girlfriend.

...erm, not sure what that means Skylarker....nothing "Sinister" involved, ur Un-toward...I wasn't very good with English lessons at school...I also spent a few minutes editing that post, as my keyboard/computer is rather rubbish too, and may have missed some "Corrections".......

Edit:- I just looked on Ebay/Google, and the Smiths single title on the record label containing the word "Girlfriend" also starts with a capital "G" too...so I suppose the blame for my bad education must lay with Morrissey......:tears:

Last edited:
One of my best friends (who I don't really ever hear from anymore, sadly) is a big Smiths fan (and a somewhat reluctant Morrissey fan).
It's weird. We didn't really become friends until our senior year in high school when we had an English class together.

We'd talk about music we liked and ideas for shit bands that never really developed into anything.

Well, in all that time, The Smiths never once came up. It wasn't until graduation day where we had to go to the civic center for a "trial run" of the ceremony that I saw him wearing a Smiths T-shirt, and I had to compliment him on that. I didn't see him much until a few years into college, and then we started hanging out a lot more in the summer after he moved to another city (he lived in a really trashy punk house with some other friends, and I would come down for shows and hang out for a couple of weeks at a time--probably the happiest times of my life).

It was at a house show in Montevallo where we both really connected over The Smiths... some hipster bands from Chicago played (nice people, but total hipster cliches nonetheless), and at the end of the night, everyone still up was hanging out in the kitchen and getting drunk. One of the guys from Chicago started singing a bunch of parts from various songs (through an acoustic megaphone, IIRC). Eventually, he started singing a Smiths song. My friend and I joined in, and then other people did, and we were all eventually drunkenly half-singing a bunch of different, disjointed Smiths songs and beating on stuff and running our fingers over the rims of crystal glasses... sounded f***ing terrible!

After everyone finally got sick of that and went to bed, my friend and I stayed up way too late into the morning just talking about The Smiths while listening to some of their songs I'd had on my voice recorder/MP3 player thing. Eventually we woke up this big beautiful possibly-lesbian gal who was also way into The Smiths/Moz, and we all sat around on a bed and talked a bit more until the songs ran out before everyone eventually passed out. It was weird waking next to my friend and watching him sleep. that's when I first started developing feelings for him, and it kind of screwed up our relationship. The rest of that morning (I swear, I must've slept a full hour at the most) consisted me sitting alone on the front stoop and feeling depressed about my new-found feelings while everyone else slept in.

Some of my other friends like The Smiths alright, but no one else I've known has ever been as into them as that guy. It's never been a problem except for with people who like the TS/Moz as much as I do. No one else ever cared... then again, I don't talk to my mom about how much I love a certain male pop singer, because I don't think she'd understand.

Last edited:
My girlfriend is a major fan and is willing to talk about him for hours, and really, thank heaven. My mother's indifferent, but she was never very fussed about any singers or musicians. Interestingly, my girlfriend's father absolutely despises Morrissey, he even gets a little angry when Morrissey is brought up. An old friend was made livid by him too, and would complain when I played his music around him, though it wasn't the music he disliked! I have no idea why. Morrissey hate completely fascinates me. I can understand being indifferent to him, and I can understand someone who was a fan and went off him, but I don't understand this malice that so many people seem to have.

I think it's quite easy to understand why people dislike Morrissey.
It doesn't mean I even agree, but it's also hardly a mystery.

I think a lot of people who dislike Moz have these "general" ideas about him. Not particularly well-informed ideas, but it's still not hard to imagine why he rubs some folks the wrong way because there's a grain of truth in all of them.

I think it's quite easy to understand why people dislike Morrissey.
It doesn't mean I even agree, but it's also hardly a mystery.

I think a lot of people who dislike Moz have these "general" ideas about him. Not particularly well-informed ideas, but it's still not hard to imagine why he rubs some folks the wrong way because there's a grain of truth in all of them.

Most people are dislikeable in some respect. I don't find Morrissey any more or less so than any other celebrity. And again, I'm not talking about dislike - I probably wasn't clear enough, I'm talking about people who are made really angry by Morrissey despite not being all that familiar with him. Maybe it'd be easier for me to understand if they had an answer when I asked why, but they tend not to.

I've never met anyone who literally hated Morrissey so much that they seriously got angry over the mention of him... and I guess what you meant didn't register with me for this reason... I have to imagine those people are a rare exception, though. and probably generally close-minded and hateful individuals to begin with.

That, or they are just as pissed with Moz as any other number of people for things they've read about/hear from him in quotes. Like I said, he rubs some people the wrong way, and I can imagine getting to really dislike him (maybe even "hate" him) if all you ever hear about is the bad stuff... Your friend's not a big Cure fan by any chance, is he? :o

I went to the pub with a friend last Saturday and accidently got blackout drunk. He is a long time friend but we never really talk about music.

Apparently I started talking about Morrissey's asexuality and I wouldn't stop for over an hour and a half, despite several attempts by him to change the topic of conversation. I have no recollection of this at all, but I think it's fairly obvious that I am developing a mental illness.

Back
Top Bottom