Another new late to the party fan

RCasey56

Hi all I'm new to the site as well as the music. I wish I had known about his/their music earlier but its also OK to find something completely new and different that I've never heard before! I am just now beginning to learn about the smiths and have enjoyed his music before and after solo. I stumbled onto the music after watching a move named "The Killer" with Michael Fassbender when "A light that never goes out" played as part of the soundtrack. I liked the tune enough to backtrack and dig it out of imdb to find who it was. Since then I have been listening to a good bit of the early music. Anyhow I'm here now!
RC

Hi all I'm new to the site as well as the music. I wish I had known about his/their music earlier but its also OK to find something completely new and different that I've never heard before! I am just now beginning to learn about the smiths and have enjoyed his music before and after solo. I stumbled onto the music after watching a move named "The Killer" with Michael Fassbender when "A light that never goes out" played as part of the soundtrack. I liked the tune enough to backtrack and dig it out of imdb to find who it was. Since then I have been listening to a good bit of the early music. Anyhow I'm here now!
RC
Welcome. I hope you’ll enjoy this site, and find it helps you. I kind of use it as an interactive diary, which helps me gain perspective.

I think it proves that The Smiths and then solo Morrissey didn't get the exposure or airplay they deserved. It's a big regret that I didn't discover the range of music sooner. I had liked a couple of Smiths' songs but hadn't realised they were by "The Smiths". In later years I knew the name Morrissey but wasn't sure what he did in entertainment. Then I saw an interview around 2000-2002, that I haven't seen since, where he had a real edge, was so uncomfortable, said he didn't like people and then at the end a big deal was made by the interviewer of him referring to having "one" friend. This didn't create a positive image for me and I had no desire to know more about him or his work! The discovery of the music was thanks to You Tube showing that he had made a version of "Back on the Chain Gang" which I saw in August. I am concerned in case I never see him in concert.

What party?

Welcome! We've gotten some new fans here lately, which is nice to see, it's nice to know people are still discovering Morrissey. I have been a fan for a long time, as has my husband. He saw the Smiths, I never got the chance, but I did see Morrissey's first 2 solo tours. There is so much information on this site and people here are usually very generous about answering questions and finding information. Hope you enjoy your time here and remember there is an Ignore option for the annoying ones ;)

I think it proves that The Smiths and then solo Morrissey didn't get the exposure or airplay they deserved.
I think it did, if you were paying attention to alternative music. A lot of people don't 'get' Morrissey, which even he has acknowledged, so they choose to not listen to him, but they know who he is.

I think it proves that The Smiths and then solo Morrissey didn't get the exposure or airplay they deserved. It's a big regret that I didn't discover the range of music sooner. I had liked a couple of Smiths' songs but hadn't realised they were by "The Smiths". In later years I knew the name Morrissey but wasn't sure what he did in entertainment. Then I saw an interview around 2000-2002, that I haven't seen since, where he had a real edge, was so uncomfortable, said he didn't like people and then at the end a big deal was made by the interviewer of him referring to having "one" friend. This didn't create a positive image for me and I had no desire to know more about him or his work! The discovery of the music was thanks to You Tube showing that he had made a version of "Back on the Chain Gang" which I saw in August. I am concerned in case I never see him in concert.
I was a huge fan of The Smiths as a teenager in the '80s and then after getting married and having children I somehow drifted- I don't know why!!??. There was absolutely no exposure on the radio in South Africa of Morrissey and hardly any of the The Smiths. (see Central post from 17 March 2022 where South Africa is under the list of countries with 'almost no airplay."" Last year I somehow saw on FB that Andy Rourke had died and that sent me down a rabbit hole of re-discovery. Pulling out my vinyl I saw I had so many of The Smiths, which I had completely forgotten about, but remembered every word. My sister reminded me how obsessed with The Smiths and Morrissey I had been and that I had a huge blockmounted Panic poster on my bedroom wall and that my favourite The Smiths t-shirt got stolen on the beach in Cape Town when I went to swim! I am so gutted that I missed out on all these years. Anyway, all this to say I am also terrified that I won't see him in concert. I'm flying over as soon as he announces a UK tour, I think that will be safest to avoid a cancellation.

Back
Top Bottom