Album Re appraisal

Fawdy

Being a Smiths fan form the very early days I bought a number of Morrissey albums out of loyalty and actually didn't particularly rate them. 'Viva Hate' was outstanding as was 'My Arsenal' and especially 'Vauxhall and I'. He then went on to a quiet period and released some disappointing albums until the stupendous return to form of 'You are the Quarry'. However, after seeing him on the recent tours and the 'Quarry' tour I have listened to those lesser albums and really enjoyed them. 'Maladjusted' in particular with 'Trouble loves me', 'Wide to receive' and 'Alma Matters' is just fantastic as is 'Southpaw Grammer'. While 'Kill Uncle' may be an album too far I am admitting that I have neglected those albums mentioned.

This may be a tad boring thread for those of you who see themselves as serious Mozzer aficionados. Nevertheless, I felt like sharing my thoughts.

Regards to all!

I must admit I was the same, although not a Smiths from the early days because I'm far too young. I got into the Smiths singles first, then went on a mission to hear every song and became obsessed. Sneered how Morrissey solo was nowhere as good but then decided to pick up all the solo albums and realised how Morrissey can easily reach the level of The Smiths.

Boring story I know.

I'm with you 100% on this one. Maladjusted has some great moments on it, but I really love Southpaw Grammar. Nobody ever seems to say anything complimentary about that album but I think it's a stonker!

It's not perfect and has a few annoying overindulgences, such as the needless 2-minute drum solo at the start of The Operation & the over-extended ending to the same track (the bit in the middle's great though!), and also the laboured ending to The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils. The closing track, Southpaw, is one of my all-time favourite Moz album tracks.

A great thing about Moz albums is they all seem to be growers. Some bands albums sound great 1st listen, but you feel tired of them pretty soon & they don't get played again. With Moz they seem to get better as they become more familiar. I really didn't like Ringleader at all when I first heard it, but since then I've heard a lot of the tracks played live they've taken on new meaning & I appreciate the recorded versions much more.

He did Dear God Please Help Me last night at the Birmingham NIA & it was superb, and I was really impressed with Ganglord which seemed pretty ordinary at 1st listen. Moz seems to have it right! The songs have longevity, depth, and most are not at all disposable.

Like a fine wine, Mozzer & his music get better with age. (that was my own little overindulgence!!!)

I must admit when I heard 'Ganglord' at the Sage in Gateshead I thought it was turgid but on Monday at the Arena it was fantastic. By the way where do you find 'I've changed my plea to guilty'? This was also fantastic at the Arena.

I must admit when I heard 'Ganglord' at the Sage in Gateshead I thought it was turgid but on Monday at the Arena it was fantastic. By the way where do you find 'I've changed my plea to guilty'? This was also fantastic at the Arena.

I've Changed My Plea To Guilty can be found on Viva Hate Expanded EMI Centenary Edition, and there's a great live version on a bootleg called Higher Education.

"Viva Hate" was a slow grower, but it kept on growing. Now I think it's his best solo album. "Your Arsenal" and "Vauxhall and I" I knew were classics the first time around. "Maladjusted" I did not like at all, and "Kill Uncle" I liked until I heard the same songs played live by Boz, Alain, Gary and Spencer and ever since I haven't played it much. About the others my opinions vary from year to year. Those are constant re-appraisals.

My judgments of The Smiths' albums have been uniform and consistent-- sheer greatness, one and all-- except for "Rank", which, like "Viva Hate", took some time to catch on but now gets played more than the others.

Back
Top Bottom