Action Is My Middle Name

No.

Seek out the BBC's recording of the song at Glastonbury, better than the version for Janice Long.

Don't do this... Lifeguard on Duty has more value than this, and it was an unreleased track for years. I admire your fanaticism but come on, you're really grasping at straws.

I think Morrissey should take his music into a more experimental direction, this kind of song would suit him beautifully...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else reckon this is the best song he's done this century?

No but I definitely think it's a fab song.

Great lyrics - we've wasted enough time, right? Let's get on with it!

patrick is actually his middle name- the year 2000 hasnt changed anyone here.

Don't do this... Lifeguard on Duty has more value than this, and it was an unreleased track for years. I admire your fanaticism but come on, you're really grasping at straws.

What do you think I'm trying to achieve? Grasping at straws? I'm just saying I like the song and that it's better than a lot of the drivel he's released since he turned 40.

I think it's a really good song, but it has a lot of competition.

What do you think I'm trying to achieve? Grasping at straws? I'm just saying I like the song and that it's better than a lot of the drivel he's released since he turned 40.

But you're not just saying you like the song, you asserted it was either among the best or the best song this century. Among three tracks, ranging from average to career ending, it is the best of the bunch. Not much of an accomplishment.

Look, again, I admire your true believer status, but I wonder: what exactly makes this song so compelling to you? The lyrics(?!), the music - what makes it so dramatically better?

But you're not just saying you like the song, you asserted it was either among the best or the best song this century. Among three tracks, ranging from average to career ending, it is the best of the bunch. Not much of an accomplishment.

Look, again, I admire your true believer status, but I wonder: what exactly makes this song so compelling to you? The lyrics(?!), the music - what makes it so dramatically better?

That's just it, the vast majority of his output since the turn of the century I find to range from average to career ending, the three tracks I mentioned earlier in the thread and a few b-sides excepted. As for what makes it better, I guess I just love the beautiful piano line and the melody. I love the sound of the guitars in the bridge. I love the lyrics to most of the song except for the verses. I just love the way he sings it. That's all.

It's one of many great songs he's released since 2004. Not the very best, but certainly up there.

Had the enjoyably twee "Lifeguard..." appeared in 1988 it would have been soundly condemned! Although I personally prefer it to "Bengali In Platforms", and feel it could have merited being a b-side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom