About biographies, and erh ... the Smiths, and Morrissey, of course

Cudweed

I'm interested in finding some litterature about the Smiths, and Morrissey. Therefore, I want your advice on this matter - if you have any of course. - Is there any "must-read" out there? First and foremost I'm interested in a book reveling the more basic facts about the group and singer. Cudweed

Well, it seems to be a rather good and informative website - that passionsjustlikemine.com!! Better "waste" some time checking that one out, I guess ;) Anyway, thanks for the advice so far; that's really kind of you, I think. Cudweed

I'm interested in finding some litterature about the Smiths, and Morrissey. Therefore, I want your advice on this matter - if you have any of course. - Is there any "must-read" out there? First and foremost I'm interested in a book reveling the more basic facts about the group and singer. Cudweed

simon goddard songs that saved your your life (which is my favourite) covers every song ever recorded by the smiths complete discographie and concert list... the influences on the songs (from films etc) (new and expanded version published 2004

visual documentary by johnny rogan a day by day description live reviews great pictures,pretty personal on some occasions.-

peepholism (very expensive cause its quite rare) by jo slee (wh used to work at rough trade is is pretty close to morrissey (i dont know about nowadays but she was) where she talks and showa every smiths and morrissey cover (until 94) and backdrops,letters, notes to rough trade

goddard review:
Time Out
A mighty achievement. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

MOJO
Exhaustive and deliciously meticulous. --
Uncut
Goddard illuminates the creative process with rare enthusiasm… this book succeeds in rescuing the music from the myth. --
Andrew O'Hagan in The London Review Of Books
Shows you the wonderful chaos at the centre of the band and its maladjusted frontman. --
The Guardian
Fascinating --

Book Description
Formed in Manchester in 1982, The Smiths’ brief but brilliant career lasted just five years. Nonetheless, the music they left behind - from the perfect pop of ‘This Charming Man’ to their masterpiece The Queen Is Dead - distinguished them as one of the greatest British guitar groups of all time. The critically acclaimed The Smiths: Songs That Saved Your Life reveals the stories behind every track (including unreleased out-takes) and catalogues all the group’s UK television, radio and concert appearances. First published in 2002, it was the first book to properly chronicle the band's studio career in full, lifting the lid on previously unknown recordings such as the ‘lost’ Morrissey/Marr original ‘Matter Of Opinion’. This brand new revised and expanded edition includes exclusive and extensive new commentary from founding member/guitarist JOHNNY MARR; more new and updated interviews with producers John Porter and Stephen Street, ‘Fifth Smith’ Craig Gannon and original bassist Dale Hibbert; an extended epilogue tracing the aftermath of the band’s split, the making of Morrissey’s solo debut Viva Hate and his attempt to reform The Smiths for the 1988 ‘farewell concert’ in Wolverhampton; details of more recently discovered alternate takes including the previously unpublished story of the Amanda Malone single; new appendix detailing cover stars and explaining run-out groove messages; new author introduction; new photo.

Although Morrissey hates it, Johnny Rogan's 'Morrissey/Marr - The Severed alliance' is by far the best biography out there. It may be inaccurate in many places but it documents the Smiths' history very well.

Simon Goddard's book is excellently researched and quite full of new information but personally I find it a bit boring.

Other books worth reading include 'Saint Morrissey' (not so much a biography as a fan statement) and 'Peepholism' (mostly about the artwork but quite a lot of biography too).

There are other books you might come across and most of them are decent. I'd stay well clear of David Bret's two books though - unless you know almost nothing or you're dying for some small bits of unfounded gossip they're basically redundant. Johnny Rogan's latest walkthrough guide to all of Morrissey's songs is not very interesting either.

You'll learn a lot from browsing the websites too.

i like the all men have secrets books where fans tell their own story about their cponnection with moz/the smiths ...

i dont find goddards book boring at all..i think its interesting how the songs come across ..and there is more ...a very good read

one book which is a photobook is also essential;

linder sterling`s morrissey shot (followed moz a this 1st moz tour through US;japan and UK)linder is as you surely know , one of morrissey closest if not his best friend. she is an artist herself.
there are some wonderful pictures in there moz posing in sandiego
http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/gall...=2&sessionid=953e2481d92f28534faa0f74803d40be

linder pics
http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/gallery/search.php?sessionid=953e2481d92f28534faa0f74803d40be

and wonder ful pics of moz and his interactions with the fans: can also be found there
and that hard looking character(man) that tried to get on stage aon madidon suare garden n.y.

my fave is from london hammersmith..the boy wo go down on one knee(probably to do something different but couldnt resist and flew literally in moz`s (his face expression-priceless) arms..
and moz going down on one knee also..(that-the last mentioned pic is not to be found on motorcyclegallery at least i didnt see it)

i was pretty disapionted about the kevin cummins book very thin and he did not choose the best pics...

Last edited:
I think I'll start out with "Songs That Saved Your Life"; I've seen it at the local Aahusian library somewhere. Otherwise, I probably have to pick one by buying the book, without knowning enough of it - see, like to hold the book before buying it.
But yes, that's how thing are here in Denmark - though it has got a tiny bit better. You can't just go down into the nearest bookshop and have a peek in - for examples - one of these biographies, which I - for some reason - suppose the Bristish and Americans is able to do. But I may be wrong ... Anyway, let me thank you people once again; I'm very glad for all your advice. Cheers! Cudweed

oh youre from denmark thats great-tjekket;-)
i live here in flensburg at the norder to denmark and dansk centralbibliothek has a branch store here and has
a connection with all other dansk libraries(ooks (even peepholism and practically everthing concerning morrissey and the smiths...i look for the link when i will visit the the dansk library today ..the good thing is that all dansk libraries are linked with each other and send you the missing one from your library dont have without any extra costs for you (thats the good thing at living in a smalll coutnry..as far as i know german library aren`t linked that way......they even have all the e morrissey realted stuff: shelagh delaney molly haskell.old nme`s....and even 12 inch smiths singles dvds(jools, coachella,min machester) the introducing video(live 95,now unavaiable)..as i said i will give you the link...and you probably dont have to buy anything cause you have everything here just watch out for the 2004 expansed version og goddards book and not the 2002 (blue cover) i dont know how many facts are missing in that old issue ...

Last edited:
http://bibliotek.dk/?lingo=dan
books and music
seems they cleared up a little the old nme articles are gone
one recommend extra mag on moz the smithsalso recommened published by mojo in 2004

Morrissey & The Smiths : the inside story
Harrison, Ian
Sprog: Engelsk
Emne: Morrissey ; The Smiths ; rockmusik ; 1980-1989 ; 1990-1999 ; 2000-2009 ; England
Bestil bog denne udgave Se hvilke biblioteker der har materialet

BOG: Mojo, 2004. (Mojo, Special limited edition) • 1 bibliotek •

Se mere
editors: Ian Harrison, Danny Eccleston
2004. 143 sider, illustreret (nogle i farver)
Forlag: Mojo
Sprog: Engelsk
Serie: Mojo ; Special limited edition
Opstilling i folkebiblioteker: 78.9061 The Smiths
Pris ved udgivelsen: kr. 146,00 Ønsker du at:
Finde titler der ligner

only music
http://bibliotek.dk/musik.php

I think I'll start out with "Songs That Saved Your Life"; I've seen it at the local Aahusian library somewhere. Otherwise, I probably have to pick one by buying the book, without knowning enough of it - see, like to hold the book before buying it.
But yes, that's how thing are here in Denmark - though it has got a tiny bit better. You can't just go down into the nearest bookshop and have a peek in - for examples - one of these biographies, which I - for some reason - suppose the Bristish and Americans is able to do. But I may be wrong ... Anyway, let me thank you people once again; I'm very glad for all your advice. Cheers! Cudweed

I bought my "Songs that saved your life" for about 3 pounds on amazon. I think it's nice to have in your home as a reference book, not as a book to read from one end to another. The libraries in Aarhus also have Saint Morrissey (you just have to wait a week for it).

I think "Morrissey in his own words" is very funny. It's just quotes from a lot of different interviews from the 80s (about the subjects sex, fans, self, past, politics, Manchester, Johnny Marr, media, love, Smiths, America, royalty, meat, heroes and villains, future, lyrics, records and split). It's not a biography but then again somehow it is.

Well, yeah, I'm from "the DK" (or should I say "the Decay" - or maybe that's too punk ...?) Could it be that we may be more Danes on this forum than we think? If so, why all this English speaking, writing? :rolleyes:
Anyway, the English vocabulary as tainted & invaded the Danish tongues long ago; like some payback from the feral & brutal days of the Vikings. Them brutes!! :rolleyes:
Very well, I actually got the Saint Morrissey book on my shelf, all ready, but the thing is; it only seem reflect the Morrissey phenomena, all seen from a fan's perspective. Which is OK, but I need some more basic and informative things about the band.
But "tak for tippet", as we say overhere. Funny, really, that you know Aarhus. Probably, because you live here ... Now, let's check out that library link ... Cheers! Cudweed :)

cudweed
for the search:d you can use the smiths and morrissey as well as free text as typing it in (search) for the title-and if you wonder about the price for that mojo book that has of course has nothing to do with you only if you lost it you have to pay..so ignore that

once again for basic info: take the 3 one mentioned in the first reply from me: that are the basics
so most of the books are avaiable in the danks bibliothekbase--compare it to the passions site when you looking for specific titles--..for some reason the search at the dansk bibliothekbase does not show all avaiable books yesterday (did try it myself)maybe i did something wrong or something else was typed in that i didnt delete yesterday
i dont know but as i say all rare books inc peepholism are aviabale there enjoy...
i will get that elizabeth smart book now...from them...

todaty it works even the mne mags are avaiable now again..go to "emme " not to free text

i was disapointed that he didnt visit copenhagen on the last tour thats like 3 hours (or less?) away from me..but i must vivit this town for a little vacation the next time .. what about christiana i heard the new government want it to close down and tear down some houses ?

for those who didnt know christiana:
Christiania, also known as Freetown Christiania, but most commonly known amongst its inhabitants and visitors as "fristaden" or simply "staden", is a partially self-governing neighbourhood of about 850 residents, covering 34 hectares (85 acres) in the borough of Christianshavn in the Danish capital Copenhagen. Christiania has established semi-legal status as an independent community.

Christiania's Mission Statement: "The objective of Christiania is to create a self-governing society whereby each and every individual holds themselves responsible over the wellbeing of the entire community. Our society is to be economically self-sustaining and, as such, our aspiration is to be steadfast in our conviction that psychological and physical destitution can be averted."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom