2003: a great year of music?

S

Sharron Needles

After 2002 was generally bland year for music IMHO, 2003 looks as if it may be quite promising. I mean, there was some cool stuff released in 2002(Interpol, Sigur Ros, And You Will Know Us....., Wilco, etc.)but nothing that really made me do back-flips. An opinion that has gotten me flamed on a couple of the other message boards I use...... Everything was mediocre at best, and a lot of stuff was just plain boring. There are a lot of good bands releasing stuff this year, that has gotten my hopes up, but we will just have to wait and see.......

Placebo-new album "Sleeping With Ghosts" on March 24, and a tour starting in April. After "Black Market Music" was just an OK folow up to the brilliant "WYIN," it should be interesting to see what happens here. I just hope they come back to play L.A., as there last show here was incredible.

Radiohead-The as of yet untitled "LP6" is due out soon, possibly the first part of the summer. The new songs that were debuted in Europe during the gigs last year, are very good, and supposedly the have about 60 news songs registered right now. The new album, according to Johhny Greeenwood, is going to have a feel more like "The Bends" did, with more guitar, kinda mixed in with the "Amnesiac" sound of that last album. I love Radiohead, and no matter what anyone else says, they are one of the few big acts doing anything remotely innovative right now. I also love "The Bends" and am excited that they are continuing to experiment with their sound.

Manic Street Preachers?-Well, tied as my second fave band along with Radiohead, right behind The Smiths(of course). Rummored to start working on a new album this year. After the mediocre "Know Your Enemy" in 99', and then listening to last years wonderful "Forever Delayed" compilation, I really hope they can pull it off. The new songs taht were just released, "There By The Grace Of God" and "Door To The River" are good, but they will have to do something really great to keep people interested I think. It would take a miracle to pull off something as incredible as "The Holy Bible" or "Everything Must Go" and even "This Is My Truth......" but I think that they still have enough life in them to turn out another kick ass record. And most people here in America don't even no whom these guys are, which is a shame really.

The Thrills-The first album is set to be out early this year. They are already being given "The next big thing" label, but I am kind hoping that dies down. The "Santa Cruz" ep is very, very good though, so I am thinking that the album has really good potential. And hey...Moz likes them, so they can't be that bad right.........?(rolls eyes). They do have that retro sound mixed with modern twist. When I first heard "Santa Cruz" I thought of The Carpinters meet Air. Should be interesting.

The Ravenettes-Pretty cool stuff. Sound sorta like Jesus And Mary Chain. The band is a male and female from Denmark I believe......? I can't remember where they are from. You can find their new one at the indie shops for really cheap. Check it out.

Belle&Sebastian-Well, this might be the one that confirms them as a really great band or breaks them completely. "Storytelling" was a pretty bland effort, and a lot of people are not sure how they will turn out since Isobel left last year. They are supposedly working on their first album after just recently signing to Rough Trade, so I really hope it works, cause I love these guys.......

Air-Know they are releasing someting new soon. Don't have too much info on it. If you know any details, post something.

And of course, our mighty one..........I am really hoping that these rumors are true now. I think that this one really has potential. From the five new ones we all heard, to the one other I heard a clip of, I am praying to God this album gets out. Last years tour was the best one yet, and I know that there are some of us ready to follow them wherever they go, again. What else can I say here? I think "Irish Blood" and "First Of The Gang" have definite chart appeal, and I think most of us feel that way. Whatever, just get it out!!!!!!

any other releases coming out you can think of that are worth a mention?

manics

Well, I saw them 3 times last year, they were as good as I've ever seen them (and I've seen them about 10 times) and I think the new stuff is good. They better not release anything like "Know Your Enemy", as apart from a few tracks it was very poor. It semeed like they were trying to return to their early "Richey" years, which is a big shame as the Manics have evolved, they are no longer angry young men. They will never again make another Holy Bible.

"This Is My Truth" (the finest Welsh folk album) was superb but had some duffers such as the incredibly bland "If You Tolerate This Your Children will Be Next".The reason that this was so good is that the Manics seemed to escape from their history and Nicky Wire played a blinder.

The greatest hits had some superb stuff like "Motown Junk", "You Love Us", "From Despair To where" and "The Everlasting" but it was a missed opportunity...where was "yes", "No surface All Feeling","Repeat"...??? They should have used this as an opportunity to release loads of early stuff, as most people have the post richey albums anyway!

Here's hoping they make another classic album and once again prove they are the best live band in the UK. respect for you Sharron Needles for being an American Manics fan. The rest of you dont know what you're missing!

Back
Top Bottom