15 minutes with...Mark Nevin, Morrissey's co-writer on Kill Uncle

I second all of this.
I thought it was a bit odd how Morrissey offered Jesse up to the world as his new songwriting partner when Boz and Alain had written so many fantastic tracks over the years. Aside from the photo session with Street around the time of Viva Hate it was something Morrissey had never done other than with Marr.

Anyway, the Nevin interview was very interesting. He seems like a really well-adjusted guy and I can see why he turned down the tour. Bizarre to hear Peter Hogg come up again in any context.

This is brilliant, Peter. Many thanks. Fascinating stuff.
One of the biggest downsides of Morrissey choosing to present himself as a solo act post-Smiths is that we hardly ever get to hear about the music that lies beneath the songs (since Morrissey is no musician - and that's according to Morrissey himself before you all jump on me!).
I'm just as interested in the music as I am in the lyrics and the singing but we rarely hear about the technical details coz unlike with the Smiths, Morrissey never does interviews with his songwriting collaborators.
It was great to hear the recent Boz interview in a guitar mag e.g. how and when he wrote the music to Paris, and about how his wife suggested the accordion should be added to Carol.
I would love to read an interview with both Morrissey and Boz together. Hear them talk about their songwriting partnership, their history, and just see how they are together - jokey, matey, awkward etc?
Mark Nevin was a really underrated songwriter. Great to hear the names he gave his compositions before handing them to Morrissey, how he effectively produced the utterly sublime 'I Know It's Gonna Happen' himself, how Moz was keen for him to join the world tour, and how his Kill Uncle compositions were effectively rearranged by Langer and Winstanley.
Thanks again for posting.

Thank you for posting.

Am I being very dense or does the interview end abruptly with the question about the c.1991 photo in Nevin's kitchen? Where is his reply? Is there a next page?

Hello I.a.a.Ghost :highfive:

Thank you for posting.

Am I being very dense or does the interview end abruptly with the question about the c.1991 photo in Nevin's kitchen? Where is his reply? Is there a next page?

Something wrong with your browser?

If you keep scrolling down, you can read rest of the interview.

Nice interview - Mark Nevin seems like a nice enough fella whose had some major musical thrills and disappointments along the way.

Morrissey is such a classic, extreme introvert; I never tire of reading accounts of how he barely manages to connect with the people he's working with. Fascinating in light of his incredible success as a collaborative songwriter.

The changes to the Kill Uncle material are also very interesting. 'Twas production killed the beast...

Great read. I like knowing more about the music behind Morrissey. Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom